New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure where to begin

If this is the wrong place to post this could someone please inform me where to post it.

I am new to all of this and I am interested in doing a budget build. I do not have much that I can throw into anything and it would have to be small parts every payday. Our local pick and pull has a few LS1 and rumored to have a LS2 that can be picked up for $210. I have not confirmed this but if it is true would you guys suggest grabbing one from there? If so is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a junk yard engine and if they have the LS2 should that be the one I grab? I do not have a car to put it in yet, have been looking at cheap fieros and an older z28 that are priced around what I might be able to afford but as of right now my goal is just to get an engine build going.

I can not buy a car with the engine already as they are way to expensive straight out and I am limited on what I can spend. I would prefer to be able to go manual on a tranny and it looks like the T56 is the way to go, probably wont be making 500+ to the wheels for a long time anyway.

Any advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated, I plan on keeping the vehicle as a daily driver and doing it right even if that means the build will take a few years.

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For $210 I'd be more than just a little leary
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Thats the price for a full engine from the pick and pull. According to some of the guys a work with anyway. I will call monday to verify. What would you recommend on junkyard prices?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've seen moderate mileage LS1's go around 2k at some local yards.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you looked on your local Craig's List? I've seen 5.3's complete intake to pan (and accessories, no computer though) for $650. I'm looking for a LQ9 or LS3 for a slow junkyard/CL build myself
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM

ok thanks guys ill look into it some more, i am more interested in a 5.7 or 6.0, wish i had the funds for a 6.2 or a 7.0 but that wont be happening until i make more rank. any advice on what i should be looking for? goals are 450-500 hp and tq crank without spending more than a car would cost me. seems like that might be possible with less than 3k from what i have read on here, does that seem reasonable or should i look at spending more? (i have no idea how to port so i would have to find someone to port TB and heads)
Old 10-18-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd suggest a 5.3. They can be built up just as nicely as a 5.7. If I were getting a motor from the junkyard, I'd go for a 5.3 since they put that motor in everything, so you have a better selection.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 PM

thanks for the advice guys, seems like i will prob be going 5.3, ill start looking for a cheap one around here. should i go iron or alum block? and any advice on internals? i keep finding that they need to be forged but i have no idea how much that would run me

Quick Reply: Not sure where to begin