Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts???

Hey there, just recently got myself into a 2000 Z28 camaro LS1. Just replaced the alternator, fuel pump, and ps pump. But now I have a SES light for the o2 sensors bank 1 and 2. I've been reading that it could be caused from an Intake manifold vacuum leak. Any thoughts? At idle it usually drops to a rough 500 range RPM idle. And i can also hear a hissing sound from the top end of the engine.

Been a bit of a headache, love any help i can get!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Forgot to include i dont quit remember the code for the SES. i believe p0103? or something like that? The guy at pep boys didnt tell me much. (Only place i could find to read the code right then)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hissing sound might be AIR pump related. This could also cause problems with the front O2 sensor readings. The idle would also be affected due to vacuum leak since the AIR system pulls vacuum from the intake manifold.

I would just trace those AIR lines to see if you may have left something loose or unplugged.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Hissing sound might be AIR pump related. This could also cause problems with the front O2 sensor readings. The idle would also be affected due to vacuum leak since the AIR system pulls vacuum from the intake manifold.

I would just trace those AIR lines to see if you may have left something loose or unplugged.
The only hose i pulled when i had done the initial work on the alternator and the ps pump was pulling the hose from the where it connects to the baffles(if that is the correct component). And i made sure to reconnect that.

I pulled the fuse for the air pump and i can still hear it. it doesnt sound so much as a hissing. Im not really sure how to explain it but i pulled the pump fuse and still can hear it and the car still is running funny. Is that not a good way to look for the leak or is that showing me that it isnt the air pump?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Update on the codes : P0171, P0131, and P1133. if that gives anyone any ideas
Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those codes all point to bank 1, mostly the upstream o2 sensor is not working.

being car is over 10 years old, and you didn't say how many miles on it or what it's past history is or if it's been modded... i would buy 2 new o2 sensors from rockauto. the upstream pre-cat o2's. those are the ones that matter and will greatly affect engine performance and fuel mileage. also check the wiring going to those upstream o2 sensors and make sure the connectors are in good condition and none of the wiring is chaffed, if it is then look at getting replacement connector and/or repair wiring.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

being car is over 10 years old, and you didn't say how many miles on it or what it's past history is or if it's been modded... i would buy 2 new o2 sensors from rockauto. the upstream pre-cat o2's. those are the ones that matter and will greatly affect engine performance and fuel mileage. also check the wiring going to those upstream o2 sensors and make sure the connectors are in good condition and none of the wiring is chaffed, if it is then look at getting replacement connector and/or repair wiring.
i guess that might help posting that info. Bone stock, with 160xxx. but even if that is the problem what about the sound? would the 02s be making it to where it sounds like its sucking in excess air somewhere? or could that be a whole new beast?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

also any advice on a good brand for o2s?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Denso
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car showed front O2 codes when the AIR check valves needed replaced. Just another option to check on before spending the money on O2 sensors.

I prefer sticking with OE, FWIW; ACDelco 213-810 if you ever plan on headers.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
My car showed front O2 codes when the AIR check valves needed replaced. Just another option to check on before spending the money on O2 sensors.

I prefer sticking with OE, FWIW; ACDelco 213-810 if you ever plan on headers.
I just find it weird that I pulled the fuse on the air pump and I'm still hearing it. I have a feeling it's the intake still.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Doing the intake mani gaskets and hitting my leaky valve cover while I'm at it and the oil change. Hopefully she'll run better after
Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Quick update: changed the mani gaskets as I said, lost time and ambition to hit the valve covers. Runs a lot better, but once and a while still drops rpms a little. And ses still on. Tomorrow plan to do an egr/ air pump delete. And putting an slp air lid on and cutting the box for ram air

Quick Reply: Any Thoughts???