Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parked in garage gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parked in garage gas smell

Hey so when i park in the garage it has a strong smell of gas. Car is not stock, has cam and high flow cats. I heard that when you have a cam some unburnt fuel will make it into the exhaust if so could this be the cause? I have looked and could not find a leak anywhere. No drips or anything.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,472 Likes on 1,060 Posts

You mean you smell raw fuel, or rich exhaust? And is this with the engine running or off?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by allmotor1
Hey so when i park in the garage it has a strong smell of gas. Car is not stock, has cam and high flow cats. I heard that when you have a cam some unburnt fuel will make it into the exhaust if so could this be the cause? I have looked and could not find a leak anywhere. No drips or anything.
Has this car been tuned since the cam install ?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Teching In

i second Chris25 if it has not been tuned since the work you said was done i bet it runs rich
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The OP still hasn't clarified whether or not this is rich exhaust or raw fuel smell when the engine isn't running, there's no way to know if tuning has anything to do with it based on the current info.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Launching!

sorry for late answer it has been tuned it smells like raw fuel and its with engine off. overnight the garage will smell like raw fuel i have looked and can not see a leak nor are there any drips.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

sorry for late answer it has been tuned it smells like raw fuel and its with engine off. overnight the garage will smell like raw fuel i have looked and can not see a leak nor are there any drips.
So this definitely has nothing to do with the tune or cam, if the smell is happening overnight with the engine off.

It could be a fuel leak, or just a fuel vapor leak. Is your stock EVAP system intact? Have any EVAP codes been deleted? If the answers to those are yes and no, then any vapor leak should be detected during the system diagnostic (during engine run periods) and give you an SES. So it's possible that the smell might be from a liquid fuel leak and perhaps the evidence just evaporates before you can find the drip. I'd inspect the lines and tank for anything that looks like oily/sticky buildup (typical of fuel leaks), and if there are such areas then clean them up and see if the gunk comes back.

If the EVAP system has been removed or modified, and/or the codes have been disabled, then you could have a vapor leak that is not being reported by the PCM. This would be much more difficult to find as there won't be any residue to chase down, unlike a liquid leak. Smoke machines are usually used to find small vapor leaks, sometimes with larger ones you can just sniff it out.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Launching!

I dont think the evap is still intact. I have a fast fuel rail and fast intake manifold and i dont believe the evap system is still there. I also have braided fuel lines. There has never been a noticeable loss in fuel.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Launching!

i noticed today by the driver side winshield wiper hole i can smell gas from there
Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

i noticed today by the driver side winshield wiper hole i can smell gas from there
Could still be a vapor leak, depending on how the EVAP system was removed/plugged or not removed/plugged. I'd take a look and see what part (if any) of this system remains.

Or perhaps a leak from the rail or the lines leading to the rail. I'd check for evidence of fuel staining around the intake and anywhere that fuel lines run in the engine bay.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Could still be a vapor leak, depending on how the EVAP system was removed/plugged or not removed/plugged. I'd take a look and see what part (if any) of this system remains.

Or perhaps a leak from the rail or the lines leading to the rail. I'd check for evidence of fuel staining around the intake and anywhere that fuel lines run in the engine bay.

I already checked and failed to find any source of a leak in the engine bay. I starting to suspect this to be a vapor leak. What baffles me is why does it smell the strongest in the hole for the windshield wiper and only on driver side. I believe this is the source of the smell.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Launching!

bump. anyone else ever notice a smell in this area
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Bump anyone else notice a smell there. I believe its my braided fuel lines leaking vapor

Quick Reply: parked in garage gas smell