Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Question

Due to a damaged a/c condenser, I am forced to remove my old condenser and replace it with a new one, unfortunately to do this I had to discharge my entire a/c system. I have the tools and equiptment to go about recharging it myself, I just need to know how much 134a is needed for correct operation, plus i dont want to over-charge the system. The owners manual says to check a label under the hood for more info on recharging the system. Unfortunately my car has had an aftermarket paintjob and the sticker is either covered or has been removed. Does anyone know how much 134a it requires, or could someone with a 98 z28 go look under the hood and see if they have the right sticker? thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

24 oz.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:40 AM
RV
Staging Lane

Did you use a vacuum to remove the 134a?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Banned

Make sure you do it right natron, or it WILL NOT work right and cause more damage, a damaged compressor or funged up OT.

Refrigerant work is best left to the pros.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i had mine recharged the computer said 24 oz refrigerant and 9 oz of oil.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry, I have the equiptment and knowledge to do it, Its just that i do not posess the origional air lid, so I didnt know how much 134a to use. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:30 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by P Mack
When i had mine recharged the computer said 24 oz refrigerant and 9 oz of oil.
The oil remains in the system when empty.Amounts should only be added if a componet is replaced that normall holds system oil,or some is captured during the refrigrant recovery process.
Adding to much oil in a system will kill performance.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrencher
The oil remains in the system when empty.Amounts should only be added if a componet is replaced that normall holds system oil,or some is captured during the refrigrant recovery process.
Adding to much oil in a system will kill performance.
The oil is mixed in with the 134a, which particular component are you referring to that "holds system oil"? Or do you mean "tends to hold" oil?

He is replacing the compressor.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:29 PM
wrencher

When you pull a system down you get little if any oil back from a normal system. The compressor will come with directions for amount of clean oil to add.
They'll want you to drain oil compressor into grauted container.Then add same amount.It dependant upon how much oil you get out of the old one, the directions should be clear.
Other componets in system will retain oil. If you replace them you lose that oil. A drier for instance will generally hold about 1 oz. of oil. Then if your compressor blew up you need to flush the system this will remove oil also.
Once the system is run you cannot get it totally empty of oil the majority will remain in the system.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i have to worry about the oil, because i have not had to mess with my compressor. I merely have to install a new condenser, because of a slight front underbody collision I think i should only have to reinstall the condenser pull a vacuum on the system for a few hours, and then out in the reccomended amount of r134a. I have found out since starting this thread that this amount is 24oz. A BIG round of thanks to everyone who took the time to read this thread and help me out!
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
wrencher

If the condenser was rupted & a quick release of the refrigerant occured you prolly lost some oil.
The condesnser will hold .5-1 oz of oil, is the generall rule of thumb.
Then most times with system repair you should replace the drier, there's another ounce of oil.
If you run it low on oil you can blow the compressor, to much you lose performance.
Also keep in mind the drier left to open atmoshere for 15 min & it's junk once it absorbs moisture its junk. The refrigerant pag oil is also hydroscopic, it absorbs moisture as well, so leaving the system open to the air is bad.
All these things have to be kept in mind when servicing A/C systems.
The difference can be a trouble free system with consistant performance.
A moisture ladden system will usually kill compressors eventually & performance falls off with heat humitity/load on system.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The condenser never leaked due to the collision. My pops slowly vented the system of any pressure. The condenser actually has no leaks, which is amazing to me, due to the fact that it is some what bent and wont fasten correctly to my new radiator. To be sure i suppose i should check the oil level in the compressor. Well, due to the fact that you guys seem fairly worried about this process, and it is starting to get more complicated, I think im just gonna have my pops do this. He has quite a bit of A/C experience, and it was his equiptment i was gonna borrow in the first place. I appreciate all ur guys help! any more advice on this matter is always welcome!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by natronathon
Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i have to worry about the oil, because i have not had to mess with my compressor. I merely have to install a new condenser, because of a slight front underbody collision
Sorry about that, I misread compressor for condenser. I should pay more attention.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
The condenser never leaked due to the collision. My pops slowly vented the system of any pressure. The condenser actually has no leaks, which is amazing to me, due to the fact that it is some what bent and wont fasten correctly to my new radiator. To be sure i suppose i should check the oil level in the compressor. Well, due to the fact that you guys seem fairly worried about this process, and it is starting to get more complicated, I think im just gonna have my pops do this. He has quite a bit of A/C experience, and it was his equiptment i was gonna borrow in the first place. I appreciate all ur guys help! any more advice on this matter is always welcome!
Aw, working on A/Cs is not some kind of black magic. See if any oil pours out of the old condenser. If any does, add that much PAG oil back in the new one. Pull a good vacuum on the system with a good vacuum pump for a couple of hours. Shut off the valves for a while and see if it holds. Charge with (2) 12 oz cans of R134a and enjoy the cold air.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, this site is hella awesome for getting answers to questions.
Im DAMN GLAD i joined this site