Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, we're in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
Cobras aren't running the same numbers LS1's are yet.

Weight + IRS is against them.

The power is DEFINATELY there though.
The IRS is a problem on the strip. Isn't the live axle from the GT a direct swap?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
assume that 11.5x was with the giggle juice and some tires?
Actually jrp...I was running on Kumho Ecsta 712's.

150shot
Hooker catback
MTI lid
K&N
Free mods
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The IRS is a problem on the strip.
Are you sure about that or are you just repeating the that's floating around the internet? Does this IRS look like it's having trouble?

http://www.mrx7.com/broke7/Movies/1121at123.WMV

Isn't the live axle from the GT a direct swap?
Yes and no. It's pretty expensive to do...anywhere from 2-5 grand.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I see absolutely no problems. lol. Anyway, where is the track in that video?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Alaska...good air there from what I'm told.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to be a fan to respect well built American muscle. Sure, the '03 Cobras aren't the most comfortable cars and they aren't the best quality...but no one can knock a factory built iron block with forged internals capable of holding 1000hp on a STOCK motor. Right?
Right. You really cant knock that. Forged crank, Manley rods... and its OEM!

All of us have a biased, justified or not.
The truth is, as long as its American Muscle, I will respect it.
As far as which is faster, it all boils down to how much money you are willing to spend. Any car can be fast as hell. The deeper pocket will have the faster car, regardless of make. And if theres one thing Ive learned over the years, its that theres always gonna be somebody with a better and faster car.
I am just glad to see auto makers producing cars that are performance oriented. Hopefully we never get back to the times when Corvettes have 175hp and Mustangs could come in 4 bangers.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Actually jrp...I was running on Kumho Ecsta 712's.

150shot
Hooker catback
MTI lid
K&N
Free mods

damn, not bad . what was your 60' and trap speeds?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

after doing some reading it looks like some 03 cobra owners are having some problems running too much boost.

it appears theyre not as strong as once thought.

maybe its a to agressive tune.it also might be the stock pistons arent holding up also.

whatever it is im starting to have my doubts about these apparent bullet proof blocks that dont need any internal changes.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Administrator

It was an A4. Average 60's were 1.90's. I'd eek out some 1.85's after strategically following the big tire guys. MPH was almost always 121. It was really consistent.
That car surprised the hell out of a lot of people, including myself. LS1's LOVE nitrous.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Teching In

American muscle is still alive and kicking. Looks like Ford tuned the Cobra very conservatively (on the safe side) which makes it possible for aftermarket tuners to get big gains.

Level the playing field:
LS1 + bolt on supercharger w/ intercooler= 400-450hp.

Or do it the natural way:
LS1+heads+cam & bolt ons can easily do excess of 400 hp NA.

Either way the muscle car competition is still alive and kicking, GM just needs to get off their a$$ and bring back the fbody and drop in either the the LS6 or upcoming LS2 blocks which = 400hp

My 2 cents for what its worth....
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Are you sure about that or are you just repeating the that's floating around the internet? Does this IRS look like it's having trouble?
One example doesn't change anything. The fact of the matter is that IRS overall is not an advantegous setup for drag racing. Of course it can be set up to work well, I never said it couldn't (nor did anybody else.) It's almost like front wheel drive...even though some guys can get it to work well and produce decent results, that doesn't mean it's a setup you'd want to run for the strip if you had a different feasible option.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
after doing some reading it looks like some 03 cobra owners are having some problems running too much boost.

it appears theyre not as strong as once thought.

maybe its a to agressive tune.it also might be the stock pistons arent holding up also.

whatever it is im starting to have my doubts about these apparent bullet proof blocks that dont need any internal changes.
What you are seeing are dumbasses who run around making 16psi on 91octane with very suspect tunes. There will always be those kinds of people.

My buddy just installed a Kenne Bell blower on an '04 Mystic chrome Cobra and it's making well over 600rwhp on 23psi with an extremely safe tune. He's done tons of cars just like it with zero problems. In fact, he has one himself.

The tune with these cars is crucial.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Administrator

One example doesn't change anything. The fact of the matter is that IRS overall is not an advantegous setup for drag racing. Of course it can be set up to work well, I never said it couldn't (nor did anybody else.) It's almost like front wheel drive...even though some guys can get it to work well and produce decent results, that doesn't mean it's a setup you'd want to run for the strip if you had a different feasible option.
True, but 10's are not a problem on the IRS. That's enough for me.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Launching!

True, but 10's are not a problem on the IRS. That's enough for me.
True. It'd be more than enough for me, too.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Well, I can tell you straight up... A stock cobra motor is good for about 600rwhp via Kenne Bell setup. after that the bottom end goes bye bye, It has been proven may times over. $ for $, the LS1 is a better bang for the buck. All the ford guys claim, "you have more cubes than us [in a girly voice]. cubes or not boost is the product here. so when we boost a 150 shot of juice, bye bye cobra.
Now, I had just picked up ny Z w/ 10k on it untouched for 20k, I drop a $5k procharger on it, again...SEE YA Cobra and still have $18,000 to go before I meet the $$ of an 03 Cobra. HMMM, lets do the math here. Even new a Z was $27k...10-11k to play with. In any case, the bottom line is the guy with the most money wins, but in a chevy owners case, we just have to buy the parts cause we do our own work to ensure perfection...lmao. the fastest fords are chevy powered, eh?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

and this is my point. 03 Cobra vs. n/a SS

http://www.ccstreetscene.com/videos/...addr-small.wmv
Old 06-06-2004, 10:28 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Well, I can tell you straight up... A stock cobra motor is good for about 600rwhp via Kenne Bell setup. after that the bottom end goes bye bye, It has been proven may times over. $ for $, the LS1 is a better bang for the buck. All the ford guys claim, "you have more cubes than us [in a girly voice]. cubes or not boost is the product here. so when we boost a 150 shot of juice, bye bye cobra.
Now, I had just picked up ny Z w/ 10k on it untouched for 20k, I drop a $5k procharger on it, again...SEE YA Cobra and still have $18,000 to go before I meet the $$ of an 03 Cobra. HMMM, lets do the math here. Even new a Z was $27k...10-11k to play with. In any case, the bottom line is the guy with the most money wins, but in a chevy owners case, we just have to buy the parts cause we do our own work to ensure perfection...lmao. the fastest fords are chevy powered, eh?
whats your point, i could go out and buy a 5.0, spend, drop 5k in it and kick the **** out of your Z, and still have money left over.

that arguement is ****** lame and tired by now.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

I agree, the argument is lame and very tired, and I didn't mean to spark it. I never said that dollar for dollar the mustang was better. It's not. Personally, it's American, so I'd buy it before I'd buy any import, be it Japanese or German. I think the Aussies are ok and so are the Brits, but I don't really like any other country's cars, well except maybe Italy...

Anyway, I just wish GM would put out a forged internal ls2. That would be so AWESOME. I personally would like to make 1000+ hp with the block I've got sitting in my Camaro right now, but I need some forged internals first... A new Camaro with a forged internal ls2 would be a nice addition to the collection.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea yea yea we could have forged internals and handle 1000hp on a stock motor and we could save 22k on the car and spend it all on aftermarket mods and i could sell my left nut for 50k and buy a used viper and spray the hell out of it and smoke the **** out of most cars on the road. none of that changes the fact that the new cobras are making extraordinary numbers on stock motors, b/c they were designed to. ls1's, while incredible motors, just weren't designed to go to 650hp w/2k worth of mods. period.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Banned

I work with a guy here in IL with an 03 Cobra plates are EATON46 he did Diablo tune, big mouth intake, magnaflow exhaust, Pulley and ran 12.40 with some tire spin. So the performance value is Cobra is ligit. But i'm sure a TREX cammed LS1 with edit could run faster then 12.40 or could it? The cobra is 33k too, you could pick up a low mile '02 fbody for 22-25k so still cheaper.

Quick Reply: Guys, we're in trouble