Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, we're in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Sensitive subject here.

Well, a lot of good points. The best thing about Cobra's IMHO is that you can spend very little money and get a lot of power ... ironically, my TR cam kit is going in the LS1 Thursday and guess who is installing it? Lamotta Performance of Central Florida. Guess what their specialty is? Mustang Cobra's ... LMAO!!!!!

Anyway, I think this must be the most heated/debated subject in the world. Bottom line IMO? Depending on how much you are willing to spend either engine can outdo the other.

Has there ever been a comparison poll taken here as to how much power/torque a stock Cobra w/ S/C and a stock LS1 F-body w/ S/C will produce? Then, out of fairness, given these numbers, figure on which produces the most HP per single cubic inch?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:31 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont worry about stangs
Old 06-07-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
You don't think you can't install some form of forced induction(the 9sec Cobra did a swap so all's fair),bolt ons,new tranny,new rearend on a LS1 powered car and run 9's? This has been done time and time again.

There are a few guys on this board running those times with a bolt on turbo kit and other stuff w/out ever getting into the motor.

lol yes but the blower is already on the cobra. i should have clarified that. i should have said you could never do this with a FACTORY LS1. the cobra was already setup with the built motor/intercooler etc. it was just the actual blower itself that was swapped...whatever, you get my point.

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 06-07-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by apathy
Or a 12 second civic.

Or an 11 second DSM.

Or...
correct...however there is nothing wrong with bashing a 16 sec civic that is supposed to look like it goes 12s...if its fast fine, i just happen not to like import cars.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
correct...however there is nothing wrong with bashing a 16 sec civic that is supposed to look like it goes 12s...if its fast fine, i just happen not to like import cars.
Is there something wrong with bashing a guy who runs high 13s or 14s in an fbody that can do mid-low 13s stock?

I understand what you are saying, but I still believe there is something wrong with it. Because believe it or not, some people don't care if their car runs 12s. I mean, I see plenty of people knocking slow civics. How about slow jeep cherokees? Or Semi trucks? Some people like all that junk on their car. I don't, and I think some of it looks horrid, but it's all personal preference. It isn't your car. They did make, and some people did buy, the v6 version of the fbody.

Just something to think about. And it is just my opinion. Cheers.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...And it is just my opinion.
Something you have a lot of.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I say give me a used '02 Z06 with some tires and about a 125shot! Or better yet, check out what the LS1 based trucks can do:

http://www.neufamily.org/fastesttruck.wmv

or.........

http://www.wideawakeracing.com/videos/11secc3.wmv

Last edited by BADMOFO; 06-07-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unit213
Something you have a lot of.
Gotta exercise my freedom of speech before they take it away.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't worry about mustangs either.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there something wrong with bashing a guy who runs high 13s or 14s in an fbody that can do mid-low 13s stock?

I understand what you are saying, but I still believe there is something wrong with it. Because believe it or not, some people don't care if their car runs 12s. I mean, I see plenty of people knocking slow civics. How about slow jeep cherokees? Or Semi trucks? Some people like all that junk on their car. I don't, and I think some of it looks horrid, but it's all personal preference. It isn't your car. They did make, and some people did buy, the v6 version of the fbody.

Just something to think about. And it is just my opinion. Cheers.
no no no, i understand you now...im not saying its fine to just bash cars slower than my own...what im trying to say is i have fun bashing cars who are slower than my own, look like they should be faster and are driven by people who think they ARE faster....if you dont care how fast your car is, thats fine...if you do care how fast your car is but rather than actually make it that fast, you deck it out to look fast and then claim it is...then i will bash you...thats all im saying..
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Right on.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

how fast do the automatic cobra's run? and with what stall?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or a 12 second civic.

Or an 11 second DSM.

Or...
or a 10 second ford pinto, or a woman that can Dunk a basketball or a 11 second v6 camaro or 3000hp hemi...wtf is yor point.

funny ricers have a lot of people boosting their self esteem, just like they do to girls with the NBA hoping they think it's equal.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samz28
how fast do the automatic cobra's run? and with what stall?
no such thing. since 93 (the first cobra), SVT has ONLY made them with sticks.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Excal
or a 10 second ford pinto, or a woman that can Dunk a basketball or a 11 second v6 camaro or 3000hp hemi...wtf is yor point.
My point was that respect should be given to all cars.

It's easy for somebody in a V8 car to get beaten by a civic, or DSM, or whatever, and say "well, it's just a POS rice bucket." Or an LS1 beaten by a cobra and say "Well, if I had a blower on here, or N2O, you'd be toast." Who's boosting who's self esteem?

I don't really understand the "not being equal" thing. If I can't keep up with an 11 second DSM, I should feel okay about it because things aren't equal?

I do find it funny that you keep mentioning women playing basketball being a joke. Isn't sexism a violation of TOS?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

I'm a GM guy down to the core. But right now the biggest bang for the buck(brand new car) is the new 'bras. If I was going to buy a BRAND NEW car now, it would be a Cobra. Now if I had the money, I would just get a Mach 1 and drop in a Cobra motor and trans. Lighter with a solid axle=one fast Ford. Now take the mods to that car and you'll have yourself one hell-of-a sleeper. But like I said, I'm a GM guy with no $, so the '02 Z will have to compete.
Either way these are American cars and GM needs to step-up and take back whats rightfully thiers!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Well, I can tell you straight up... A stock cobra motor is good for about 600rwhp via Kenne Bell setup. after that the bottom end goes bye bye, It has been proven may times over. $ for $, the LS1 is a better bang for the buck. All the ford guys claim, "you have more cubes than us [in a girly voice]. cubes or not boost is the product here. so when we boost a 150 shot of juice, bye bye cobra.
Now, I had just picked up ny Z w/ 10k on it untouched for 20k, I drop a $5k procharger on it, again...SEE YA Cobra and still have $18,000 to go before I meet the $$ of an 03 Cobra. HMMM, lets do the math here. Even new a Z was $27k...10-11k to play with. In any case, the bottom line is the guy with the most money wins, but in a chevy owners case, we just have to buy the parts cause we do our own work to ensure perfection...lmao. the fastest fords are chevy powered, eh?

I agree with you man who ever got the most money will when. That is the way it is and the way it will always be and forget all these other sell outs who don't get your point.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saclay
I agree with you man who ever got the most money will win. That is the way it is and the way it will always be and forget all these other sell outs who don't get your point.
To an extent........but if I put $15k into my car (was purchased three years ago for about $15k) it would kick the living **** out of a brand new Cobra that costs more AND has basic mods. Actually, I will have spent roughly $3k total on go fast mods and will be able to kick the crap out of a $35k Cobra here in a few days . When you go buying new cars people with used cars can beat you in every possible way with less money spent an awful lot of the time since their initial purchase price was lower.

I suppose you can find costs for going really really high horsepower, but most people aren't going anywhere near the HP levels where a new Cobra's bottom end can't tread.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-08-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol stock cobra shortblock and 1000 hp

Guess a 2JZ will do 1600 then.

Ryan.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
ANY stock LS1 with a supercharger can and will SMOKE any supercharged Cobra on the market. Why the hell would anyone compare a supercharged car with a non-supercharged car?

The Cobra is fast (with it's S/C), but, it's at it's peak for that POS 4.6 engine. Bring back the 5.0 and whadya' have? .... a little bigger POS.

And for someone to open a thread with this opening statement, 'blah blah blah blah all of ya'll need to shut the *** up'. just shows that they had their lunch money taken from them when they were a kid. It may have been me that took it from 'em.

As for giving respect to the Cobra? Well, when one beats me, I'll do exactly that! Until then, they don't deserve respect. Take the S/C off ... leave it on. I'll still beat it, with only bolt-on mods, in my LS1.
i know of a few supercharged cobras that will give your "stock ls1 with blower" car more than a run for its money....

what year cobra do you want to race, 93 94-95 96-98 99 2001 2003? 500, 600, 700rwhp?

im out of this thread, too much BS...

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Guys, we're in trouble