New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, we're in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blah blah blah blah all of ya'll need to shut the *** up. I like f-bods but give the cobra some respect it makes numbers especially compared to its ancestors.

BOTTOM LINE: Ford is stepping it up and picking up the ball after they dropped it. American muscle owners need to stick together, ricers are the enemy.

I fully encourage Ford to keep stepping it up bc they can make their cars even better, they need to constantly improve their cars and take some more of the market. GM is usually good with kicking things up a notch every couple of years but they droped the ball on our cars and thats why their gone. Anybody heard about the GTO's next year? thats right its been confirmed that the 05's are getting the LS2 with 400 horses bouncing around.

While all of you are blowing smoke out of your asses and bitching did anyone notice that the new horsepower tv shop car is a.... red 98 ss. hopefully they don't mess that ride up bc it will be good publicity for us but i'm a little bit worried bc they just install whatever the advertisers give them.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Banned

I can now guarentee 2005 GTO will have 400hp LS2, probley first time in history vette won't have the hipo engine to itself for a year. expecting low 13s 1/4 mile, hood scoops standard a revised rear bumper dual outlet exhaust 2 extra colors.

I still like my 04 GTO
Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there ya go
Old 06-07-2004, 12:33 AM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

all i got to say is as long as its american muscle car I have no problem but around here u have stock mustangs a few modded ones but u got 3 f-bodies everyone are scared of.Im a few months ill be looking to buy a cobra but the camaro wont be going now where they will be sharing space in the garge hope they play nice
Old 06-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Teching In

i bet that cobra doesent live long with the pulley and a hypertech tune.people with blown svts that are not idiots get a diablo or superchip dyno them on a wideband and check the a/f ratios.think about what a hypertech does on a nitrous application now think about detonation on boost.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Banned

The guy I work with has 20k on his 03 cobra gone though a set of rear tires and runs fine. Has all the pulley and diablo mods runs 12.4.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The IQ in this thread is diminishing quickly. I'm out of this conversation.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:28 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
The IQ in this thread is diminishing quickly. I'm out of this conversation.
if you were smart you use your modding powers and make this thread dissapear

Old 06-07-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Be realistic. Is your head REALLY that far up your _ss?

ANY stock LS1 with a supercharger can and will SMOKE any supercharged Cobra on the market. Why the hell would anyone compare a supercharged car with a non-supercharged car?

The Cobra is fast (with it's S/C), but, it's at it's peak for that POS 4.6 engine. Bring back the 5.0 and whadya' have? .... a little bigger POS.

And for someone to open a thread with this opening statement, 'blah blah blah blah all of ya'll need to shut the *** up'. just shows that they had their lunch money taken from them when they were a kid. It may have been me that took it from 'em.

As for giving respect to the Cobra? Well, when one beats me, I'll do exactly that! Until then, they don't deserve respect. Take the S/C off ... leave it on. I'll still beat it, with only bolt-on mods, in my LS1.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

It seems that when people make posts about the relative stupidity of recent posts, it only encourages someone to outdo all the others.

Well done JEB99TA!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
As for giving respect to the Cobra? Well, when one beats me, I'll do exactly that! Until then, they don't deserve respect. Take the S/C off ... leave it on. I'll still beat it, with only bolt-on mods, in my LS1.
Does that mean before you could respect yourself you had to beat yourself?

Dan
Old 06-07-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Thanks Z98 ...

Normally, I don't give anyone the pleasure of replying to posts like that one about the Cobra's, however, it jiust seemed rediculous. I have to say that the Cobra's do look nice, though.

As for DANSLS1GTO'S last comment, well, respect is earned, not given to you because you go out and buy a new GTO and think you're better than everyone else. I don't understand why the comment was made by DANSLS1GTO, however, I'm thankful that we live in a free country where you are allowed to speak your opinion ... however destructive it is meant to be.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
whats your point, i could go out and buy a 5.0, spend, drop 5k in it and kick the **** out of your Z, and still have money left over.

that arguement is ****** lame and tired by now.

I could go out and get an early 80's A/G body drop in a small block chevy and go faster for even less.

This really is a moot point.

If you own an LS1 powered vehicle and you are concerned with being smacked around by minor bolt on blown Cobras then get a N20 set-up and call it a day.The new Cobras can be BRUTALLY quick/fast. Just like alot of other cars.

Hey Unit, has your Cobra ran quicker than your Z did yet?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Normally, I don't give anyone the pleasure of replying to posts like that one about the Cobra's, however, it jiust seemed rediculous. I have to say that the Cobra's do look nice, though.

As for DANSLS1GTO'S last comment, well, respect is earned, not given to you because you go out and buy a new GTO and think you're better than everyone else. I don't understand why the comment was made by DANSLS1GTO, however, I'm thankful that we live in a free country where you are allowed to speak your opinion ... however destructive it is meant to be.
My comment wasn't meant to be destructive - it was meant to be a joke - hence the smiley and devil afterwards.
This is a hobby - it should be about fun. And I don't think I'm better than anybody - but if your opinion of respect is that I have to go faster than you to get it - I'm not interested in having it anyway.
Dan
Old 06-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Launching!

I was going to say something, but then I realized ya'll pretty much covered it all.

The Cobra cost about the same to mod really, but the difference is that you start with a conservative 390 flywheel. The LS1's look at about 350 flywheel or lower depending on the year and intake. Next are limitations on both sides, for us it is the internals, for them it is heat, and tune.

Here is what I have seen, and it is not to say that it is true for all Cobras, or Camaros, but it is what I have observed. The Cobra is a very difficult critter to launch. The IRS is very jittery and is subject to wheel hop more so than the vette. Also the IRS IS the weak link in that drive line. A common issue that they run into is wheel hop related damage, and shattering the rear end much like we do the 10 bolt. On an average nite I have seen Cobras with Kenne Bell's and even Procharger kits, and for the most part get beat by your LS1 Camaros. That is not to say they don't have the power or the capability it is saying that the suspensions were not setup for drag racing. Hell for that matter the drivers of the cars are also mostly to blame. No with that said, if you want to see some mean 03/04 Cobras, Stricly Performance out of Texas has a few cars that will make you contemplate the strength of that IRS.

Yes to answer a previous question the 8.8 rear end will directly replace the IRS, is often times done to make for better more reliable launches.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

to add my 2 cents....

anyone who calls the 4.6 a POS is just uninformed. true, the 96-98 two valve GTs were slower than my dads honda, but if you think a 4.6 liter DOHC V8 that makes 390 hp and can handle MUCH MUCH more is a POS, there is no hope for you. the cobra motor's are well built and in my opinion are the only powerplants out there that give LS1s a run for their money as the best factory installed street motor. BOTH of these engines simply kick ***....the LS1 does it with displacement and compression, the 4-valve 4.6 does it with boost and good internals...you'd basically be getting a kick-*** ride no matter which one you go with.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but those of you who feel the need to outright bash a blown cobra are IN MY OPINION, closed-minded.

BTW: has anyone seen the yellow 03 going MID 9s with a blower swap, live rear axle, automatic tranny and bolt-ons??? stock motor, the valve covers have never even been off the car.....ill admit, you simply CANT do that on an LS1.... , personally if funds permitted, id definitely have an 03-04 cobra sitting next to my Z in the driveway...

BTW: about the stock blowers maxxing out, watch out for the Apten performance cars....they rework stock eaton's for a factory appearance...there are guys goin pretty damn fast with a stock looking engine....sneaky!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

American Pride American Ride
Ricer Trash
Old 06-07-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
everyone is entitled to their opinion, but those of you who feel the need to outright bash a blown cobra are IN MY OPINION, closed-minded.
Or a 12 second civic.

Or an 11 second DSM.

Or...
Old 06-07-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ

BTW: has anyone seen the yellow 03 going MID 9s with a blower swap, live rear axle, automatic tranny and bolt-ons??? stock motor, the valve covers have never even been off the car.....ill admit, you simply CANT do that on an LS1.... , personally if funds permitted, id definitely have an 03-04 cobra sitting next to my Z in the driveway...

You don't think you can't install some form of forced induction(the 9sec Cobra did a swap so all's fair),bolt ons,new tranny,new rearend on a LS1 powered car and run 9's? This has been done time and time again.

There are a few guys on this board running those times with a bolt on turbo kit and other stuff w/out ever getting into the motor.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

I thought 03s dynoed more than 360 stock. More like 380?

Quick Reply: Guys, we're in trouble