Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear question/issue

I just spoke to someone at a mod shop regarding Gears. 3:73's are highly recommended for an A4. The only problem/issue that he warned me about is that some gears (and he mentioned Richmond) are not quiet but makes a whining sound. If I have new gears installed, is this something that I'm going to have to deal with? Do all brands of gears whine? If not, which brand is highly recommended?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

gm or motive gears really don't make that much noise if any at all
Old 06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

i have gm gears and they whine but you can only hear it when you let off the gas usually the exhaust covers it up, but it does get old hearing it
Old 06-07-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silly02SS
i have gm gears and they whine but you can only hear it when you let off the gas usually the exhaust covers it up, but it does get old hearing it
You have 4:10's. I'm now wondering, do 3:73's make the same whining noise? How annoying is the whine?
Also, I noticed that you have SLP Loudmouths. I usually drive with the T-top off. With SLP's is it so loud and annoying that I wouldn't want to drive without the top off? Will I be able to have a decent conversation on my cell phone with the SLP's or are they so loud that It's difficult to have a conversation? My ex-girlfriend used to complain in my Mustang GT because I had a Mac Catback (which was pretty loud). Is this the same with the SLP?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of the whine depends on if they're installed correctly. And honestly there are always trade offs.... more gear = more noise. You usually have to trade off comfort for performance. If you wanted a nice quite car you shoulda gotten a Honda
Old 06-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BADFNZ
A lot of the whine depends on if they're installed correctly.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

the 3:73 are gonna whine but not suppose to be as bad as 4:10's but i dont think there is much difference in whine, I dont think the loudmouth is very loud but if have manifolds and stock cats, the exhaust shouldnt be too loud for you in the car, now if i have my cutout open its a different story its very loud,
Old 06-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bklynstanger
I just spoke to someone at a mod shop regarding Gears. 3:73's are highly recommended for an A4. The only problem/issue that he warned me about is that some gears (and he mentioned Richmond) are not quiet but makes a whining sound. If I have new gears installed, is this something that I'm going to have to deal with? Do all brands of gears whine? If not, which brand is highly recommended?
Have Motive 4:10s, set them up my self. Broke them in for 1/2 hr on stands varying speeds with standard gear oil. Drained and filled with AmSoil synthetic and it is quiter than a church house mouse.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a set of quiet aftermarket gears. Some were worse than others. NONE were as quiet as stock. That's why I run the stock 3.23s in my '02....well, that and the fact that switching to more gear when you have a really good converter does very little for performance. A half tenth or less in the 1/4 isn't worth the time, trouble, money, loss of MPG, and increase in NOISE to me.