Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verifying engine condition

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verifying engine condition

I have a gen III 5.3 that I bought a while back. I need to figure out its condition before I swap it in. I've heard the gaskets on these are reusable. Is that true or am I gonna need to order a gasket set?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Depends on what gaskets you have, but Ive never heard of stock gaskets being reusable. The peace of mind gained from new gaskets far outweigh the cost.

Id also like to hear input for verifying condition of a used 5.3.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Which gaskets are you referring to on the engine?

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by woodwright
I have a gen III 5.3 that I bought a while back. I need to figure out its condition before I swap it in. I've heard the gaskets on these are reusable. Is that true or am I gonna need to order a gasket set?

The head gaskets can be re-usable ($32.00 for a pair of new ones) can you rationalize taking a $32.00 risk? The head bolts aren't re-usable, you'll have to purchase new ones regardless.

1. Remove the heads check for damage to the pistons and high cylinder wall wear.

2. Scotch Bright Pads & Brake clean is your friend if you find no damage.

3. Install new head gaskets (LS6) and head bolts.

And enjoy your engine!

Eddie
Old 10-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EddieGoesFast
The head gaskets can be re-usable ($32.00 for a pair of new ones) can you rationalize taking a $32.00 risk? The head bolts aren't re-usable, you'll have to purchase new ones regardless.

1. Remove the heads check for damage to the pistons and high cylinder wall wear.

2. Scotch Bright Pads & Brake clean is your friend if you find no damage.

3. Install new head gaskets (LS6) and head bolts.

And enjoy your engine!

Eddie
Where are you finding $32 head gaskets?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by woodwright
Where are you finding $32 head gaskets?
Actually $36.25 from Summit Racing I purchased a set the other day
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm going to be honest... I reuse MLS head gaskets and stock head bolts all of the time and have yet to have a problem.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with Joe, if you torque a bolt to "Yield" it actually relaxes and has no clamping strength. GM in their wisdom are actually stretching the bolt which doesn't hurt it. But it really is a good way to sell new bolts in case some Dude with a size 14 shoe and a size 3 hard hat over stretches it to failure... FWIW
Old 10-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cookseyb
I'm with Joe, if you torque a bolt to "Yield" it actually relaxes and has no clamping strength. GM in their wisdom are actually stretching the bolt which doesn't hurt it. But it really is a good way to sell new bolts in case some Dude with a size 14 shoe and a size 3 hard hat over stretches it to failure... FWIW

I'm not an engineer by any means but I thought the purpose of Torque Yield bolts was to act like a spring with a targeted clamping force range as the heads and block expand thru heating and cooling cycles?

Not saying that reusing them isn't possible.... but it's cheap risk, worth not taking. Personally....I would just buy ARP head bolts and call it a day.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of the turbo guys re-using them, tightening them down with an impact (not a torque wrench) and making 800+ HP. I don't see the point in buying ARP head bolts for an N/A build. The LS engines have basically thrown out the old-school notion that "everything needs upgraded".

I even reuse my head gaskets on my aluminum block turbo engine. This is the 3rd time I've put the same head gaskets back onto my engine and pushed 20+ PSI every single day for months on end.

Is it the absolute best idea? No, but at some point you venture into the realm of overkill and extra money spent sees absolutely zero returns.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Lots of the turbo guys re-using them, tightening them down with an impact (not a torque wrench) and making 800+ HP. I don't see the point in buying ARP head bolts for an N/A build. The LS engines have basically thrown out the old-school notion that "everything needs upgraded".

I even reuse my head gaskets on my aluminum block turbo engine. This is the 3rd time I've put the same head gaskets back onto my engine and pushed 20+ PSI every single day for months on end.

Is it the absolute best idea? No, but at some point you venture into the realm of overkill and extra money spent sees absolutely zero returns.
I 100% percent agree with you, but.....

I'm just following recommendation set by GM Engineers on the fasteners, I'm not saying it's impossible to reuse the head bolts, but I would simplify things by just going the extra effort and buying for certain reusable (ARP Head Bolts) I don't like uncertainty or unneeded risks whether it's N/A or Pressurized HP.

But once again I see your point/position and its incredible that you're getting a lot of good usage of your head gaskets.

Eddie
Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would go back to your original question - how to verify engine condition....

Send an oil sample out to someone like blackstone , they will provide a report that will show the contents of foreign materials in your oil such as water , coolant , bearing soft metals etc... along with a reference to if these are just trace/normal levels or of concern.

Over the years it has been my personal experience to trust an engine last opened up by the general over anything you spend money on to open up or upgrade. You can have a lot of fun with bolt ons , convertors ,gears, suspension with your 5.3 don't open it up unless there is an issue with condition , then I would be parting out or selling off the 5.3 you have and go buy a known good one instead vs. opening the engine up in any way

Of course if your looking to make big power NA then you would have to change internal components to add compression , add strength , promote increase airflow (heads/cam)etc...

Quick Reply: Verifying engine condition