Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a T/A

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a T/A

I am looking at a T/A on friday, and I will most likley be buying it. It is a 2002 WS.6, I was just wondering what specific things I should be looking for. It only has 21,000 miles, so im expecting it to be in good condition.

Also, if anyone has access to carfax can you plz run this
VIN: 2G2FV22G922136103, and either email me or post the result here.

Thanks alot, hopefully I will be joining to LS1 family friday!

BBaker025@AOL.com
Old 06-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Cefiro, if u dont mind, may i add a question.....What should i look for when buying a Z28 or SS camaro.(LS1 only)
Old 06-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I'm on my way out the door right now, hopefully driving home with the T-tops out But glad to help a fellow prospective buyer out:

The story of this 2002 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA/TRANS AM (2G2FV22G922136103) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
BThis hatchback has had 1 owner in Michigan. The first title for this hatchback was reported to CARFAX by a Michigan DMV in 2002.
It was involved in an accident in Michigan that was reported to the police.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 03/05/2002, was 30 miles.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
CARFAX estimates it has 8 months or 35,970 miles remaining on the basic warranty. The basic warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.

Michigan provides an estimate of the extent of damage in its accident reports. Use these general descriptions to help you interpret the different damage levels:
# MINOR: The accident damage does not affect the operation of the vehicle. Examples include dented bumpers, fenders, grills and body panels. This level of accident should not compromise vehicle safety.

02/01/2002 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Registered as
personal vehicle
03/05/2002 30 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Title #159N0640521
Title or registration issued
First owner reported
02/04/2003 Michigan
Police Report
Case #4724830
Accident Reported
in Macomb County
Involving a right side impact
with another motor vehicle
Minor damage reported
Old 06-22-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks, its been wrecked....
dont pay too much for it!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I would say to just look at common sense stuff you would look at for any vehicle. Check for any major leaks, tire condition, abnormal rusting, the AC for coldness/ hotness, try all the buttons out to see if they work, when test driving be sure to turn off the radio and listen for any strange noises... basically check everything overall. ( Be sure to look around the rear fender wells to see if there is a lot of melted rubber that is still stuck on there. That could be a good indication of its previous life.) Generally how clean the vehicle is on the inside is a good indication of how it was treated. It never hurts to ask, but you can ask the dealership if it was a local trade in and if it was, you can try to get that persons contact info to dicuss the car's history with them.

Some specifics if you are looking at a WS6 or SS( for Big Jimbo) then I would check out the codes on the side of the door to make sure that car was a WS6 / SS from the factory or if someone just put on the parts and stickers. If someone added the parts then you can use that to have them lower their price. Additionally, you can ask the dealership if any prior warranty work has been done on the car as well.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
that sucks, its been wrecked....
dont pay too much for it!
The wreck could have been relatively small..... Some tardo wasnt paying attention at a redlight and rearended me last week. Luckily all it did was crack the rear bumper. Needless to say, just because it was in a wreck and was reported to the DMV doesnt always mean that it was a bad one.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Ya, I emailed him and asked him for the whole story. The fact its been in a minor wreck doesnt really bother me as long as I cant tell there was damage.

In my current car I have had a few little accidents, got rear ended by some stupid lady. Hit my bike pulling into the garage, and its a great car, just had some small damage that was fixed.

Other than that, its suppose to be in excellent condition w/ T-tops and a true WS6. Do you all think $19,500 is a good price?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I think it's a good price, I'm selling my 2000 WS6, m6 17,600 mile asking $20,000

Originally Posted by Cefiro
Ya, I emailed him and asked him for the whole story. The fact its been in a minor wreck doesnt really bother me as long as I cant tell there was damage.

In my current car I have had a few little accidents, got rear ended by some stupid lady. Hit my bike pulling into the garage, and its a great car, just had some small damage that was fixed.

Other than that, its suppose to be in excellent condition w/ T-tops and a true WS6. Do you all think $19,500 is a good price?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sgracida
I think it's a good price, I'm selling my 2000 WS6, m6 17,600 mile asking $20,000

If you dont mind me asking, why are you selling ur car? Everytime i see one for sale (SS, Z28, T/A) i always wonder why someone would sell a nice car like that. Is it because ur having a kid.....or what? Im just curious. If i had a car like that i dont think i could ever sell it. Then again im only 16.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A few things to look at:

Look in the rear wheel wells, look for rub marks. If so, there were slicks on the car, or it flew thru the air a couple times, and bottomed out HARD, they will be there. Get under the car, look for anything that looks like bottom out marks. Look at the pieces right behind the front tires, were they bent from improper jacking? look at the U joints, calipers, tires, etc. Ask to see service records. According to the above carfax, it looks like the maintenance was not done at the dealer, ask for proof that regular maintenance was done. Look at the rear quarter panels, make sure that they are right, being that they are the only steel panel. if the right side was damaged, pull the spare tire, see if it was damaged, you'll see a dent and where the bondo would have filled it. Not that the owner would probably let you, but I would putt a couple spark plugs, do a compression check. Driver's side is easy to get to the front 2 plugs. And, it's gonna be hard to dothis time of year, but go there on a cold day, or listen really good when the car is started for the slap problem. It may or may not have it, but I'd try to listen anyway. Has anything been done to the car as far as upgrades? Look at the parts that may have been added, and ask to see the old parts too, if they still have them. Who was the primary driver, woman, man, hopefully not a kid. Not trying to scare you, just trying to make sure that you look for EVERYTHING. Never can be too careful.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Teching In

One thing that I love in this life is working on my car, man I enjoy the weekends polishing the wheels, washing and waxing the body, installibg upgrades my self etc. But I just got a house and I don't have money to be upgrading my car and I hate that.

Whit the money I planed to get an old car maybe a junk and work on that junk little by little. I guess that I enjoy more looking the results of my work than a car it self.

upgrades
Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
If you dont mind me asking, why are you selling ur car? Everytime i see one for sale (SS, Z28, T/A) i always wonder why someone would sell a nice car like that. Is it because ur having a kid.....or what? Im just curious. If i had a car like that i dont think i could ever sell it. Then again im only 16.