Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with 02 sensors on longtube

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP with 02 sensors on longtube

I think the exhaust shop fucked up with my sensors. They never used my extensions and I'm starting to think they used my rears for front. The car won't go into closed loop even at 170F so i check my o2s. Which banks are supposed to be what? 1x1 and 2x1 are just neutral but 1x2 and 2x2 are moving all over. Isnt this backwards? Should i use extensions or just do something with pins? Which is easier? I need my car for work tonight
Old 05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I made the shop fix it. Now it's working, but fuel trim on bank 1 sens 1 and bank 2 sens 1 are going nuts. I figure its cause pcm just reset so ill keep an eye on it.

By the way, are open headers supposed to sound like WET FARTS or am I having a spark/fuel problem? I haven't put muffler back on yet. At idle it sounds smooth, but it sounds like rattling metal and bubble wrap on 1800-4000 RPM? Can my plugs not keep up with the exhaust vacuum or something and I need new plugs and wires? I dont want to just throw money at it.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 05-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, good. I have PCM codes for all four o2 sensors instead of two. I guess that explains it. I guess I should try the rear pin switch for now to delay shelling cash for vette o2s? **** my life the fronts didnt last a DAY with headers on. Is there a write up where I can find which wire leads are my O2's, rear and front, to maybe check for burned wires or to put the rears in the header? These are my codes that are O2 related (the other 3 are for EGR/AIR):

P0134
P0154
P0160
P0418
P0140
P0155

Last edited by SouthernRex; 05-19-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took a recording of what the O2 sensors were reporting to Torque. But why am I getting O2 sensor readings if my PCM is telling me there IS no voltage reading??????? The car goes into closed loop but still gives me all those error codes and runs like **** and sounds like a ricer car. What did these people DO TO MY CAR?

As soon as I get home I'll upload the video.

EDIT: They didn't unplug my battery when swapping sensors. I reset PCM and code hasn't come back yet. I still think I should get plugs and wires though because the car sounds and runs like garbage post longtube installation. It idles OK. The best way to describe the sound at higher RPMs is that it sounds more like a Harley than like a sports car, which I didn't think would happen with headers? I'm going to put my muffler on soon, but I want to make sure everything is running solid first because I'm going to be getting it tuned soon, and of course I can't do that if it's not in awesome shape.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 05-19-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, so, I guess last post in here cause nobody has any idea (I know everyone has lives outside of this forum), here is a video of some revving. It sounds like multiple explosions instead of one smooth roar. Is that just because I don't have the muffler on? (Of course it IS multiple explosions, I'm just used to hearing that on a bike, not a sports car.) There are no misfire codes, though, no matter how hard I drive it, and the only afterfire I get is on deceleration from WOT, which happened in every V8 F-body I've ever owned so that part doesn't concern me.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
I took a recording of what the O2 sensors were reporting to Torque. But why am I getting O2 sensor readings if my PCM is telling me there IS no voltage reading??????? The car goes into closed loop but still gives me all those error codes and runs like **** and sounds like a ricer car. What did these people DO TO MY CAR?

As soon as I get home I'll upload the video.

EDIT: They didn't unplug my battery when swapping sensors. I reset PCM and code hasn't come back yet. I still think I should get plugs and wires though because the car sounds and runs like garbage post longtube installation. It idles OK. The best way to describe the sound at higher RPMs is that it sounds more like a Harley than like a sports car, which I didn't think would happen with headers? I'm going to put my muffler on soon, but I want to make sure everything is running solid first because I'm going to be getting it tuned soon, and of course I can't do that if it's not in awesome shape.
Dude....
Stop going to shops (clearly they didn't really know what they were doing).
Stock LS1 with open headers sound like crap.
You need to get a tune, the car will run like *** without one. Are your rear 02s even turned off or anything?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Dude....
Stop going to shops (clearly they didn't really know what they were doing).
Stock LS1 with open headers sound like crap.
You need to get a tune, the car will run like *** without one. Are your rear 02s even turned off or anything?
I know I know... But i cant fab a pipe in my garage lol. I'm going to get a Frost mail order tune until i can get to tampa for a real dyno tuning. The rears havent been deleted but im not getting a code for them (or any voltage reading)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know I know... But i cant fab a pipe in my garage lol. I'm going to get a Frost mail order tune until i can get to tampa for a real dyno tuning. The rears havent been deleted but im not getting a code for them (or any voltage reading)
If you are running open headers anyway then they apparently didn't fab a pipe either lol.
But seriously installing headers sucks but i would still do it myself to know its done right. If you buy a whole kit you don't need to fab a pipe.
As for the rear 02s i think it's no voltage because they are not reading anything(no heat from exhaust) or are unplugged, could be wrong about that one though. They don't always throw a code right away, sometimes it takes a hundred miles or so.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are running open headers anyway then they apparently didn't fab a pipe either lol.
But seriously installing headers sucks but i would still do it myself to know its done right. If you buy a whole kit you don't need to fab a pipe.
As for the rear 02s i think it's no voltage because they are not reading anything(no heat from exhaust) or are unplugged, could be wrong about that one though. They don't always throw a code right away, sometimes it takes a hundred miles or so.
I mean straight pipe not open header lol. My friend gave me her long tubes and y pipe for free when she went turbo. Her y pipe had a muffler custom and dumped before wheels. I had them cut that off and i pipe it to my borla that currently has the muffler detached.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got a P0153 code for my car, bank 2 sensor 1 O2 slow response. It is also kind of reflected in the graph readings. Could this be the reason my car sounds/feels terrible? Should I replace the O2, or is this indicative of a leak?

Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the sound I'm hearing. It's not as clear in the video, but it's like a fluttering poppy sound. At 0:10 you can see what I mean.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just got a P0153 code for my car, bank 2 sensor 1 O2 slow response. It is also kind of reflected in the graph readings. Could this be the reason my car sounds/feels terrible? Should I replace the O2, or is this indicative of a leak?
Where are you generating these graphs from?
This is part of the reason you need a tune with LT headers, the front 02 sensors will be reading funky and many times just need to have the code turned off. I have noticed in the past with my 02 codes post LT install that it sometimes made my car run like crap and super rich to the point my exhaust tips were coated in unburnt fuel. Wouldn't idle right and would be really sluggish sometimes and surge.
I would stop worrying about all this stuff until you get the car tuned, regardless of what you do the car will not run right without a retune.
And the exhaust noise you are hearing is probably due to having a dumped Y-ypipe with a poorly designed merge, at low-mid RPMs it will make a off beat trumpet like sound, or a machine gun like sound/chewbacca sound.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Chart is from Torque App for Android. You mean I can't get rid of this awful sound without completely changing my Y-pipe out??? Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking into a tune ASAP.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chart is from Torque App for Android. You mean I can't get rid of this awful sound without completely changing my Y-pipe out??? Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking into a tune ASAP.
Putting a catback on will make a significant difference.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Putting a catback on will make a significant difference.
Well its hooked up to my Borla. I had the muffler removed for the longest time, but I attached it about 2 days ago and its queiter but still soinds like a slippery fart instead of a muscle car. Im gonna look for a leak because i still smell exhaust pretty bad at times. I just thought lack of cat raw gas exhaust smell, but all the way from the tailpipes?

Quick Reply: HELP with 02 sensors on longtube