Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to do some type of mod to my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
Well, it won't make it sound louder and won't add more HP, but you are going to want to do this anyway when you can afford more HP. Or even before that. And it is right in your budget, with change.

Replace the stock rear lower control arms and panhard bar with a tubular set with grease able fittings and solid poly bushings. Really tightens the rear up. The stock LCAs are not grease able and have spaces where road sand gets in and eats up the bushings. That is why I did mine, the LCA bushings were shot and causing a mystery noise. This will plant your rear tires firmly on the ground for that someday horsepower or converter.

Shop BMR or UMI, they sell LCA and panhards as a set. I just did mine with UMI but the sets are very close in price. And I bought new bolts even though I didn't really need to, the old ones were fine. You don't need an adjustable panhard bar unless you are doing more rear end stuff.

About $300 total and about 3 hours for a 60 year old guy to do in between beers on Saturday. Instructions said 30 minutes but I don't think they included jacking up etc. And it is as simple as unbolting the old and installing the new. There are steps to follow but that is about it.

Then you are more ready for that extra HP when you can.

If you have already done these, I didn't see it in your sig.
Thank you for your reply. Lca’s have been on my list of future mods.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Uziguy18
Thank you for the offer. Truthfully I don’t think I would ever drive this car that far. Especially with how people said if there was an issue that’s a far drive to have to make again. But that is around what I was hoping to spend on a tune package.
No worries, just curious, did I miss somewhere about why the car won't make a couple hour drive?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddnspider
No worries, just curious, did I miss somewhere about why the car won't make a couple hour drive?
You did not. The gas it would take would turn that $375 into roughly 410/415$ something which at that point I might as well pay a little more to avoid the trip all together and get a dyno tune in the process. But again thank you for the offer. I do appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

I gotcha. No worries.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Uziguy18
You did not. The gas it would take would turn that $375 into roughly 410/415$ something which at that point I might as well pay a little more to avoid the trip all together and get a dyno tune in the process. But again thank you for the offer. I do appreciate it.
Just my opinion, but sometimes dyno tuning isn't superior over a street tune. In my experience. Id rather pay $415 on street tune than dyno but maybe I just had a horrible experience.
Dyno #s are useless. go to track
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
Just my opinion, but sometimes dyno tuning isn't superior over a street tune. In my experience. Id rather pay $415 on street tune than dyno but maybe I just had a horrible experience.
Dyno #s are useless. go to track
Dyno tunes using a wide band is the best IMHO (how else are you going to know the A/F throughout the rpm range) and any tuner worth their salt will do a final "drivability tweak" after the dyno session.
Dyno #'s are not accurate, I wouldn't say useless. But as a tuning tool (baseline to final) they are a must IMO.
Mustang Dyno are heartbreakers. Others can be manipulated. MPH at the track will tell accurate HP.

Last edited by ragtopz28; 03-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Dyno tunes using a wide band is the best IMHO (how else are you going to know the A/F throughout the rpm range) and any tuner worth their salt will do a final "drivability tweak" after the dyno session.
Dyno #'s are not accurate, I wouldn't say useless. But as a tuning tool (baseline to final) they are a must IMO.
Mustang Dyno are heartbreakers. Others can be manipulated. MPH at the track will tell accurate HP.
Air fuel is best done on the street or track since real world not a simulation. MBT is best found on a Dyno.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Obviously both types of tuning have their place, but if I had to pick I'd go with a proper street or track tune over a dyno tune.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Air fuel is best done on the street or track since real world not a simulation. MBT is best found on a Dyno.
Just curious, do you pull A/F reading from the tail pipe or a header bung(s)?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

As a side note (not here to argue)...
That vid I posted in post #33 "simulated 1/4 run" the car went .02-.04 seconds of that time the first 5 times down the track.
I'd say it's a pretty decent tool.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Just curious, do you pull A/F reading from the tail pipe or a header bung(s)?
ALWAYS header bung. Tailpipe can be skewed significantly.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

As a side note (not here to argue)...
That vid I posted in post #33 "simulated 1/4 run" the car went .02-.04 seconds of that time the first 5 times down the track.
I'd say it's a pretty decent tool.
To me that just means the tune/car is consistent. It doesn't answer the question about whether or not AFR is closer/more accurate with a street tune vs. dyno and if MBT was found.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

To me that just means the tune/car is consistent. It doesn't answer the question about whether or not AFR is closer/more accurate with a street tune vs. dyno and if MBT was found.
Again not here to debate....I thought it was pretty cool that a dyno/machine could "simulate" that close! Dang Mustang dyno says 469 rwhp yet it runs 9.9x I play with timing at the track and watch the mph
Old 03-15-2018, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Again not here to debate....I thought it was pretty cool that a dyno/machine could "simulate" that close! Dang Mustang dyno says 469 rwhp yet it runs 9.9x I play with timing at the track and watch the mph
No I agree that's pretty cool. Also agree on the timing and mph.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Obviously both types of tuning have their place, but if I had to pick I'd go with a proper street or track tune over a dyno tune.
Yes, I agree. Both have their place, but I just had a horrible experience with a dyno tune. He didn't really focus on making it "streetable". Literally drove it around the block and sent me on my way. Had to pay another tuner who spent 6 hours correcting my tune(he did a street tune)

to reply to one of the posts above, I will say that yes a dyno tune can be sorta useful as far as gauging #s.. but I have seen #s not match track times.

Recently had a little fun with a mustang claiming he had 550rwhp(thats what his dyno sheet read). 3 times we raced and he could not keep up. I have like 420-430rwhp.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
Yes, I agree. Both have their place, but I just had a horrible experience with a dyno tune. He didn't really focus on making it "streetable". Literally drove it around the block and sent me on my way. Had to pay another tuner who spent 6 hours correcting my tune(he did a street tune)

to reply to one of the posts above, I will say that yes a dyno tune can be sorta useful as far as gauging #s.. but I have seen #s not match track times.

Recently had a little fun with a mustang claiming he had 550rwhp(thats what his dyno sheet read). 3 times we raced and he could not keep up. I have like 420-430rwhp.
It is unfortunate you had a bad experience/tuner.
Dynos are great for documenting gains not HP.
I, like you, love whooping up on "higher HP cars" LOL!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

the instructions when you buy a wideband tell you not to place the wideband sensor in a location of high temperature. For us folk with turbochargers which reach 1300*F~ near the turbo or engine is not an option. It should be placed a good distance from the engine or turbo... approx 3 feet or MORE. There is no max distance. A dyno wideband works for all the billions of cars from a tailpipe exit.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

A good converter will wake it up more than anything.

Back in the early 2000's, i dropped 1/2 second ET using a TCI streetfighter in my ls1/4l60 car. The lockup clutch died soon after (junk), but that converter made the car very quick.

The 10.5" size "Cadillac" i think it is GM style converter that TCI used, and some others do also, it is one of the most efficient converters out there. No loss of top end power over the standard converter, but will give a nice hit off the line and higher shift extension.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

It is unfortunate you had a bad experience/tuner.
Dynos are great for documenting gains not HP.
I, like you, love whooping up on "higher HP cars" LOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7nnRefB4s
Awesome video!
I too love pulling away from noise makers lol. 2 weeks ago I took my car out to drop it off later in the day in LI to have the converter restalled and tune tweaked. I happened to come across a Challenger 392 Scat pack...had stickers all over his little side window, car sounded mean, pretty sure it wasn't stock... we lined up 3 times on a roll and I walked him every time lol. It felt amazing! I text the builder/ tuner right after and told him all the work he did was worth every penny