Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on cleaning up junkyard engine for a swap project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tips on cleaning up junkyard engine for a swap project

Got a 4.8 for my 84 Camaro, I have the intake off now because I need a different one. Just wondering what is the best way to clean up all the grime and grit under the intake and around the ports on the head without getting a bunch of junk down in my engine. Also wanting to clean the outside of the engine in general.

Should I just vacuum up all the loose debris and then spray on some cleaner? brake or carb cleaner, something like that?

Is it ok leaving the intake ports exposed or should I just tape them off?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like you know! Yeah, If you have a vacuum you don't mind using...I would vacuum while scraping the bulk off of the surfaces,then spray on a rag and wipe the intake sealing side of the heads. Tape the ports, then you can go at it without worry
Old 04-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oven cleaner. then power wash... swear it works magic. hard baked on greese, brake cleaner
Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I cleaned this with a wire wheel in a drill, Wire brush, Scraper and one can of engine degreaser. I sprayed wd-40 on paper towels and stuffed them in the ports and used a shop-vac at the same time as I pulled them back out when I was done. Final rinse was done with a spray bottle of water and paper towels.

Heads are not painted, Valve Covers/Front Cover painted with Cast aluminum colored caliper paint. Oil pan was just degreased because it's not going to be used.

Before

After

Old 04-01-2018, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

With the covers and the intake manifold still on and some spark plugs in the heads just shove some rags into the exhaust ports and pressure wash the crap out of it then come back in with compressed air. If the intake is off remove the rockers to closes all the valves and get after it!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I cleaned this with a wire wheel in a drill, Wire brush, Scraper and one can of engine degreaser. I sprayed wd-40 on paper towels and stuffed them in the ports and used a shop-vac at the same time as I pulled them back out when I was done. Final rinse was done with a spray bottle of water and paper towels.

Heads are not painted, Valve Covers/Front Cover painted with Cast aluminum colored caliper paint. Oil pan was just degreased because it's not going to be used.

Before

After

That's kick ***! What's that blown rat going into?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Possibly my Son in-laws 73 Nova, It's a 200,000 mile motor that I paid $80 for, The idea is to beat on it and see what it will do and for how long.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Possibly my Son in-laws 73 Nova, It's a 200,000 mile motor that I paid $80 for, The idea is to beat on it and see what it will do and for how long.
Well I'm curious myself. Keep me posted LL
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Was this done in a Low vacuum, hermetically sealed room that was temperature controlled, and sterilized???
Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Before

After

Man that thing looks sweet!!! curious to what kind of paint you used for the block...high temp rattle can? or something better.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Was this done in a Low vacuum, hermetically sealed room that was temperature controlled, and sterilized???
More like well insulated and temperature controlled and not wanting to wash it outside in 10* weather. So paper towels and spray bottle had to do.

Originally Posted by rj678
Man that thing looks sweet!!! curious to what kind of paint you used for the block...high temp rattle can? or something better.
Yes just Rust-oleum engine paint, Didn't bother with primer....I don't expect the engine to last more than a year or two.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

More like well insulated and temperature controlled and not wanting to wash it outside in 10* weather. So paper towels and spray bottle had to do.Yes just Rust-oleum engine paint, Didn't bother with primer....I don't expect the engine to last more than a year or two.
Not bad for some cheap paint I might just have to spend the $20 on some cans when I pull my ls1. You think the paint would last 5+ years primed and cleared?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rj678
Not bad for some cheap paint I might just have to spend the $20 on some cans when I pull my ls1. You think the paint would last 5+ years primed and cleared?
I have one that's 8 years old that was primed and painted with the same paint and it still looks good.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

I have one that's 8 years old that was primed and painted with the same paint and it still looks good.
looks like im adding some rattle cans to my never ending list of things for my build lol