Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a cam

I have a 2000 firebird formula. I plan on getting headers and y pipe, ls6 intake, and slp intake lid. Is there anything else I should do before a cam swap? What cam would be a good fit in this setup? The car for right now is a daily driver but I’m looking for a good amount of power from the cam swap.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before any cam swap you need to figure out your goal for the car. The larger the cam and more power it makes equals less refinement in the cars driving manners. And what you are willing to tolerate.

Also the transmission will alter things a bit.
If the car has an auto transmission then moderate to large cams require a performance torque converter. And the converter you choose will alter idle and drivability as well. If you skip this with a moderate or large cam, then you might as well skip putting a cam in it too.

If you choose a baby cam, then you can skip the converter, but the full potential of the cam will not be shown.

Is it an auto or standard transmission?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Teching In

I have a Futral F14 can. I don’t think Futral is a popular choice anymore.. but I would NOT recommend this cam for a daily driver. Mainly due to the rough idle.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like mentioned above we need more details such as trans and gearing, plus the overall goals
Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm also interested in this, got a '99 f body. Stock A4 with intake and cat back...ordering inch and 7/8 tsp headers and offroad y pipe . It is not my daily driver but I want it to be drive-able with the stock converter for the time being...any recommendations? I'm not looking for the craziest cam out there just something to sound good and make decent power.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

just my conservative one cent. for stock stall the biggest cam I'd go with is 224. you must get better valve springs for any cam upgrade. stock ls1 springs are junk.(imo) if you get a stall then what are your goals fun daily driver , weekend burnouts at the hangout? drag strip warrior? I think good idle is important if its only driven on the street. some people want big dyno #s. 228 is a non radical decent cam. summit just came out with a 226/230- 600 lift ls pro cam that looks alright. if radical is what you want plenty out there I'd checkout TSP t-rex or ms3 or ms4 (magic stick) goodluck.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Like mentioned above we need more details such as trans and gearing, plus the overall goals
x10000 need to give as many details as possible

also just my opinion if your car is an auto and you're more interested in a cam that is on the larger side I would recommend looking into a stall converter before doing the cam swap, a large cam with stock stall will turn your car into a turd I went ahead and put a 4k stall converter in my car last fall which I absolutely love and would recommend to anyone and now that im in the middle of my cam swap my car is really going to be ready to tear up the road
Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM

I have a '00 Formula that I use for my daily driver.....bought it 5 years ago. I HAD to change out the cam cause i had a hydraulic lifter bounce cause the springs lost their sprung! I changed out my cam, new LS7 hydraulic lifters, new springs torqued to spec and shortened my exhaust stroke push rods. Its not radical enough to effect the torque converter or transmission.....but I added 60hp, really cool throaty growl at start up, WILL turn heads at a red light but cab noise flattens out around 20mph and you don't hear it

Don't know if I can post this part since I'm new to the scene but I put in a Howard's GM LS1 Cathedral Port 270/275 604"/604" 112° cam & valve springs kit for hydraulic lifters. I also replaced the oil pump just to make sure I got good flow....and 1 more side note - you'll wanna change out your transmission mount and engine mounts if you haven't done so yet.....just sayin' !!