New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Default VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid

first, i'm not really mad or upset, but unless i'm putting it on wrong, i got a severely bunk airlid.

ok, i'm a little upset...

do you guy's lids fit this bad? quite honestly if i only paid 30 bucks for it i'd just use some closed cell foam on it and call it good, but a hundred and some bucks should get me something that fits pretty dang nice. i wouldnt run a lawnmower with a setup like this let alone my precious.

i dont mean to bash, but dangit i'm taking a 3 week solo roadtrip starting saturday in my new rig and i'd at least like to have one hp mod to make me feel faster than average joe camaro. i ordered this thing 2 day ship last monday, and because it was out of stock i ended up getting it today, so my faith in getting a nice fitting replacement in time isnt the greatest. all the same i'll try to get a replacement sent before saturday.

see pics, i had the camera in slightly different places/distance on the side by side one, its not perfect but it shows the general idea.

again, not bashing. just sayin that this aint right. i wish moroso made a dang ls1 airlid...
Attached Thumbnails VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid-p7260421.jpg   VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid-p7260424.jpg  
Old 07-27-2004 | 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

i run a fipk....i have no fitment issues whatsoever

but hey, on a serious note, there are bad apples out of every batch, even from the best of them, so just make sure they make it right.
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really can't tell whats goin on in those pics. Anyway, you'll be hard pressed to find a correct fitting aftermarket lid. I have a MTI clear lid, the fit kinda sucks but it flows well and looks good doing it.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:29 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
I really can't tell whats goin on in those pics.
me neither. FWIW my SLP lid is a piece of ****.
Old 07-27-2004 | 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...and my SLP lid fits like a glove. If I were you, I'd send it back for a replacement.
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:53 AM
pmh
On The Tree

Yeah, my slp lid fits great too. I agree, send it back. Molded plastic...all it's got to do is cool incorrectly and it'll warp and do all kinds of cool stuff.

pmh
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

on the first pic i layed a straight piece of plastic along the rear portion of the lid, you can see a HELLA gap where the maf neck glues to the main body of the lid.

the second pic is a side by side comparison of the filter sitting loose, and then me pushing up on it from underneath.

i dont care how good it looks, if it wont seal up then whats the point of running an air filter at all? i could take a piece of pantyhouse and zip-tie it around the maf and i'd feel safer to drive than i would with this mickey mouse lid.

i'm relatively new around here and dont want to offend anybody, but what the heck are some of you guys thinking running lids that dont fit?
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:27 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

That's why you need to use that foam peice that comes with the airfilters (K&N, Holley, Accel ones anyway).
Old 07-27-2004 | 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

ahhh, i was unaware of this foam piece. being new to this rig i'm ignorant to stuff like that.

does the stock or a disposable-style filter have a thicker gasket? i have an honest 1/8th gap around the majority of the base. and the lid simply cannot come down anymore since its edges are already resting on the radiator shroud.

if MTI doesnt want to work with me on this and ship me a replacement by friday at the latest i suppose i'll go to home depot and fix a 120 buck p.o.s. with 2 bucks of foam weatherstrip...
Old 07-27-2004 | 09:34 AM
Administrator

Those are horrible pics, sorry. I can't even tell what they are.

My MTI lid didn't fit all too well. The TSP lid fits nice from what I hear.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

sorry about the pics. kinda hard to shoot a peice of clear plastic up close with digital camera with hardly any light. take my word for it, its simply unacceptable. if it sealed but was a tad bit loose when clipped in i wouldnt mind. from what i read in a recent magazines review of airlids, that was what i assumed they meant by loose fit.

the first pic is the best one i got, its looking at the lid from the rear. the black plastic piece is laying perfectly flat accross the lids base where its supposed to seal. if you look, you can see a huge gap where the maf section glues to the lid.

has anybody modded a factory lid with decent results? i could dremel out the baffles and use epoxy to radius everything. and that silencer deal could house a couple soloniods and look completely stock...
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

My SLP lid fits pretty good, but it does rub the hood a little bit.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:36 AM
10 Second Moderator

My SLP lid fits like a glove...kinda like OJ's glove and my K-n-N filter has no foam piece and it fits nice and tight. Send it back...good things come to those who wait...I think... Good luck to ya!
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Torkman15
My SLP lid fits like a glove...kinda like OJ's glove and my K-n-N filter has no foam piece and it fits nice and tight. Send it back...good things come to those who wait...I think... Good luck to ya!
My SLP fits great too.
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

everyone always complains about the fitment of the whisper lid, but mine fits nicely. i dunno, i think its more luck of the draw than anything.
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:56 AM
Launching!

My SLP lid fits nice and tight. Good quality too.

GM Hight-Tech, May 2004, had an article on the subject of lids.
Old 07-27-2004 | 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I finally made out what was going on in the first pic. That gap is normal, no different than mine but I think the filter still seals up to it. However i don't have a k&n gasket on it as its on my stock lid I've never been able to locate gaskets
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

maybe its just a problem with the k&n and the lid, i'll shoot to pep boys tonight and check out a fram style filter and see if the gasket is thicker. when i have the lid mounted, i can take a pocket size snap on screwdriver and stick it through that gap without touching either the filter or the lid. it just plain dont seal.

hopefully i can get out of work early enough friday to scoot up to the speed shop and exchange it for a different one.

i wont bitch about it anymore, i just needed to vent.
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up Lid

Actually, GM HIGH TECH PERFORMANCE ran a test on like 8 different airlids and SLP was the one that fit and was constructed the best. AGAIN, NOT MY OPINION, this is written in GMHTP magazine. Hope this helps you out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

MY LID FROM MTI SUCKS *****, IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE FOR A 4TH GRADE ART PROJECT USING PAPER MASHAE....FOR AS MUCH AS THESE PEOPLE SELL THESE LIDS FOR YOU WOULD THINK COULD INVEST IN A LITTLE R&D AND MAKE THEM FIT BETTER, NOT ONLY DOES MINE NOT FIT, BUT SEVERAL FRIENDS DONT FIT EITHER....NOTHING A LITTLE HOMEMADE FAB COULDNT FIX....GUESS I SHOULD GO INTO BUISINESS SELLING A FITMENT PRODUCT FOR THESE BUNK *** LIDS.

Quick Reply: VERY unhappy with aftermarket lid