Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Mine is all original too. I think it’s even still on the original R134a. But it’s only a matter of time before that Four Seasons is in our lives. Nothing last forever.
My AC compressor went bad a couple years ago and the shop didn't have an issue finding a new one.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
My AC compressor went bad a couple years ago and the shop didn't have an issue finding a new one.
The Denso unit is what everybody wants, but it's generally unavailable. The Four Season system is considered questionable on here, but my friend installed it on his Trans Am and is really happy with it. Longevity is another question ...
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

A couple of years ago, I think maybe months even, Moog & AC Delco strut mounts were available but they’ve since been discontinued. Parts are starting to go by the wayside.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The Denso unit is what everybody wants, but it's generally unavailable. The Four Season system is considered questionable on here, but my friend installed it on his Trans Am and is really happy with it. Longevity is another question ...
The other day for kicks I looked up compressors and I found a bunch of For Seasons and one $450 Denso listing. I’m not sure if the Denso was in stock or not though but it was high for sure. I didn’t see any AcDelcos.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is exactly what I was getting at regarding a 4th gen F-body; in terms of a daily driver it has all the "modern" stuff that I do want without having hyper-tech that I don't want (touch screens, etc.)

I love my '70s cars as toys, and not just the styling but also the primitive simplicity/rawness of them which is why I'm not into pro-touring, but I can certainly appreciate many of the advancements that a 4th gen has to offer when it comes to daily usage in all conditions/roles. I just don't have any need or desire for the tech overload and gadget craziness of the current newest vehicles - I'd be happier with a factory fresh 4th gen if that was still an option.
Wow!! Do you have that right. What a machine my 2020 R/T would be if it had the same tech as our 4th gens. No touch screens, no MDS, no push button start, no stupid warning noises and cameras.
I think I bought my near perfect ride in the '14 GT. It was the last year without the NAV screen and very few warning contraptions. The 420 HP Coyote is 8 cylinder mode all the time, you use a key to turn on the ignition, and it's as old school as it gets with ***** and dials for everything from a/c to radio. Yes......
Old 06-15-2024, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Senior, please don't be stupid, and traded your Fbody for a S550/S650 Mudstain.... Get a 18+ RCSB F150 instead. They are way better and cheaper than the Mudstains. I mean you're taking maybe a 200 lb hit between a Mustang GT and a RCSB 2WD.?.? 200 lbs is a lot when talking Miata's, but 200 lbs is nothing when talking 2 ton vehicles. It's still sub-Scat Pack weight. Hell even a RCSB F150 4x4 with a big ole 3L Whipple weights about like a Charger Hellcat. But a 4x4 F150 with a blower launches like a modded GTR. In fact a RCSB 4x4 F150 is like half Mustang, half GTR, and half pig. It's MustangGTRPig.

So F150 = better built vehicle than Mudstain, with a stronger rearend, (BTW opting for the 3.73's gets you a 9.75" rearend with a 5L F150, otherwise you get this 12 bolt 8.8" that they call a super 8.8. A 5L with a crewcab/6.5' bed doesn't require 3.73's to net you a 9.75") way more comfortable for an extended drive, way less attention from dbags, a relatively small weight hit.

Plus IMHO F150's Coyote > Mustangs coyote. I'll explain:

-Sound: Many complain that Coyote doesn't sound as good as older V8's. Mustang 5L uses a 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 firing order, where F150 uses the old Windsor 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order, which most prefer for the exhaust note. This is the biggest difference between the 2 engines BTW, and noone really knows why they use a different firing order because they both make pretty much the same power, and can operate at the same engine speeds, etc.

-E85: F150 5L is factory flex fuel. Mustang 5L is not factory flex fuel. F150 Ecoboost is not factory flex fuel, but F150 5L is. A bone stock F150 5L will happily run on E85, or it will run on 87 octane. This also lends itself to flex fuel tuning, which reads how you're vehicle is running, and self adjusts to whatever fuel you've got in you're tank. Not only is this extremely convenient, but this can save your ***. You don't need to have 5-6 different tunes to load for any given scenario. Say you have an E85 tune, and you fill up on E85, yet you filled up with 4-5 gallons of 93 still in the tank so you're not running a true E85 mixture. Flex fuel self adjust to the mixture you're burn. Same if you fill up, and you get some bad gas at the pump. I remember back in the day this very nice Whippled Terminator lost its engine shortly after filling up, and it got found out that the gas that the gas station had was bad gas, and this guy was going thru a bunch of legal BS trying to get the gas station to cover his loss. Flex fuel will read that the engine is detonating and running poorly due to the bad octane content, and it will start pulling timing before the engine destroys itself.

-Speed Density > MAF: 18+ F150 5L uses SD, where Mustang 5L uses MAF. Look, for an aftermarket cam setup MAF is the way to go, but if you plan to keep a stock cam setup then SD is way easier and cheaper than MAF. You don't have to mod SD, or worry about getting outside it's range and pegging it, etc. It either reads X pressure, or it doesn't. Big cams lower pressure in engines, and this is why SD is bad for aftermarket cams. SD reads pressure, where MAF read velocities. Still F150 5L SD was so good that Ford decided to use it in the 20-23 GT500. You think of large MAF as being hard to tune, well tuning SD is not a problem and is easy regardless of HP. You don't mod or upgrade the SD, it's just there.

Fuel system: Very similar, and all GEN3/GEN4 Coyotes use a dual port injection setup, but the F150's is more efficient. Why? F150 5L is factory flex fuel, so it has to support E85 from the factory. E85 requires more fuel to = the same energy as petrol. More fuel flow requires a more efficient fuel system. For example I believe the factory Mustang 5L uses 19 lb port injectors, where the F150 5L uses 47 lb port injectors. I believe the DI side of the fuel system is the same, but not 100% sure.

Easy modding: I have never owned a vehicle so easy to mod as my 18 F150 5L. Up until about 700 WHP everything is a HP mod, and the first supporting mod required in bigger port injectors, again this comes at 700ish WHP. Just leave the DI side of the fuel system stock, and mod the port injection side. Between 750-800 WHP you'll need to either add a BAP setup, or upgrade the fuel pump. This thing is easier to mod than my old Terminator, and almost as rewarding. The 18+ F150 5L is a vehicle that will make you tell people who claim that E85 barely benefits NA vehicles to STFU. F150 5L running a "good" tune from a "knowledgeable" F150 5L tuner, and E85 in the tank is night and day different compared to a stock tune, or tuned running regular octane.(even though flex fuel allows for it if you opt for a custom flex fuel tune which you should on a street truck) I mean why do you think GEN3/GEN4 Coyote trucks are rated at 395/400 BHP, while the 18+ Mustang running Coyotes are rated between 450-500 BHP? We're talking engines that use the same block, heads, rotating assembly's, and the only real difference in the valvetrain is due to the different firing order, but even though they're different, the cams are spec'd pretty much the same GEN for GEN between the GEN2+ 5L Fords. (GEN1 Coyote 5L had little baby cams that held it back compared to GEN1 Mustang 5L) The Mustangs intake manifold is geared more towards topend power, while the F150's targets a more broad/spread out power curve, but even a stock 18+ F150 5L manifold doesn't experience a big power drop until around 7,100-7,200 RPM's. Still a ported Boss 302, 18+ MGT, GT350, Bullitt/Mach1, either CJ, or Holley High Rise will give you very noticeable gains over the F150 manifold on the bigend, otherwise the HP hardware on the engines is mostly the same. The main reason for the large HP difference between the two 5L's is Mustangs 5L requires premium fuel, while F150's 5L is setup to operate on 87 octane. (L86/L87 guys like to flaunt the factory HP difference as well, without taking into account that GM recommends only premium in the 6.2L's) Ford retards the hell out of the stock 5L F150's timing. They have to so that it doesn't blow up trying to run an engine with a 12:1 CR on 87 octane. The good thing is a tune on good gas gives huge power increases when you start throwing a lot of timing at the engine, plus a well tuned 10R80 is the ****.

Do y'all remember that old song Tupac had called Thug Passion? The chorus went:

"I heard it's the bomb
And you got it goin' on
Give me some of your thug passion, baby
You got me drippin' wet
from the way you make me sweat
Give me some of your thug passion, baby ohhhwow!"

Well that's like 18+ F150 5L. It's the bomb, and it's got it goin' on. Think Sy/Ty 2.0.... Or maybe it's Sy/Ty 5.0.?.? Whatever! It's the ****, and better than Mudstain, especially if you're over 30!!!

This video is informative, but also ignorant as boost and 4WD are nice, but not necessarily required.

Last edited by JROC; 06-15-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO

I thought Four Season was a joke for winding the windows down.
01CamaroSSTx (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Mine is all original too. I think it’s even still on the original R134a. But it’s only a matter of time before that Four Seasons is in our lives. Nothing last forever.
You're probably right and I'm pretty sure that most if not all are remans so that tells me they can be rebuilt.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Wow!! Do you have that right. What a machine my 2020 R/T would be if it had the same tech as our 4th gens. No touch screens, no MDS, no push button start, no stupid warning noises and cameras.
I think I bought my near perfect ride in the '14 GT. It was the last year without the NAV screen and very few warning contraptions. The 420 HP Coyote is 8 cylinder mode all the time, you use a key to turn on the ignition, and it's as old school as it gets with ***** and dials for everything from a/c to radio. Yes......

The 2011-14 Mustang GT is probably one of the few performance cars that's newer than a 4th gen that I could still be happy with.
Old 06-15-2024, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, I have really been daily driving my 2002 WS6 every day for the last 20 years, except for maybe 2 days in the winter when it snows. I have no other car, it is the only one I want to drive. My wife has a new F150 that I do not use. It is a technological piece of **** that I must pull over and park to use the computer screen just to figure out how to do simple things like turn down the dash lights.
Nathan C (06-17-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Nothing last forever.
Even cold November rain.

I thought Four Season was a joke for winding the windows down.
That would be 2-40 AC (2 windows, 40mph). My '71 came from the factory with this option.
wannafbody (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
Well, I have really been daily driving my 2002 WS6 every day for the last 20 years, except for maybe 2 days in the winter when it snows. I have no other car, it is the only one I want to drive. My wife has a new F150 that I do not use. It is a technological piece of **** that I must pull over and park to use the computer screen just to figure out how to do simple things like turn down the dash lights.
I know, I'm with you. When it snows, I bolt on snow tires and keep going. I've loved our G8's, but when it comes to daily driving, my Firebird still rules because it's so simple, easy, and comfortable - and has all the performance I desire. We've owned a lot of great cars in our family, but this one is hands down the best car I've ever owned.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even cold November rain.

That would be 2-40 AC (2 windows, 40mph). My '71 came from the factory with this option.
It gets 115* in the summer here. So you’d probably need a 2-110 AC.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
My wife has a new F150 that I do not use. It is a technological piece of **** that I must pull over and park to use the computer screen just to figure out how to do simple things like turn down the dash lights.
This should drive people nuts, solving problems that don't exist. Creating cost and complexity where a **** would suffice.
Nathan C (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting back in 2000, I daily drove my 94 LS swapped Camaro with a 222/222 cam for years and yank 4000 stall, longtubes with a dump at axle, no mufflers or cats.

Since then I’ve done various builds and is a project car with my sons. Now it’s on its 5th motor swap, an all aluminum 5.3 with that very same 222/222 cam and a TSP Rumbler x pipe dump at axles. I kept that cam on the shelf because I love the cam. Sure it’s small and old tech, but it sure sounds good and I get so many compliments on it even over the more aggressive cams I’ve ran.

It now sits at 350whp with just long tubes, exhaust and a circle D 3200 tq conv. Perfect for daily today and fun enough with the boys! My oldest son had a blast in high school with it!
Old 06-17-2024, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
This should drive people nuts, solving problems that don't exist. Creating cost and complexity where a **** would suffice.
2 words: Planned Obsolescence

Auto industry has been doing this for decades and the incremental releases of trickle down features from fully loaded to standard is their way to sell more cars and keep people interested. The only think I have seen that would benefit the 4th gen is either a back up camera or better yet the live rear-view display in place the rear view mirror.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

Agreed. My newest car is my 2002 Formula, and you don't miss the technology you never had.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Every single time I've encountered a touch screen (such as a rental car or driving other folks' cars with this nonsense) it absolutely does drive me nuts. I dread having to ever buy a car with one of these, so I'm trying to keep my 2010 daily driver for as long as possible. I love buttons/*****/switches; once you're familiar with a given interior you never really need to take your eyes off the road to mess with them, you can just feel it out. I just don't see the appeal to the touch screens, other than being "flashy-blinky" tech to impress and satisfy the "flashy-blinky" types.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
01CamaroSSTx (06-17-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Every single time I've encountered a touch screen (such as a rental car or driving other folks' cars with this nonsense) it absolutely does drive me nuts. I dread having to ever buy a car with one of these, so I'm trying to keep my 2010 daily driver for as long as possible. I love buttons/*****/switches; once you're familiar with a given interior you never really need to take your eyes off the road to mess with them, you can just feel it out. I just don't see the appeal to the touch screens, other than being "flashy-blinky" tech to impress and satisfy the "flashy-blinky" types.
Not apple to apples, but my ESAB welder has a touch screen, I don't really do too much adjusting because you have to dig through menus, as opposed to something like a prime weld, where it's just a bunch of *****. On the face of it, literally, the ESAB looks simpler but it's actually the other way around.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Can your vehicle survive from an EMP? I think most would not which is why if you're someone with a car that runs on old school technology then you have a gem IMO.

Electronics..They're neat and all but do I really need them to roll my windows up and down or to control the volume and channels on my stereo or my personal #1 "engine and transmission"? With todays technology a vehicle can be quickly immobilized and I suppose that's a good thing.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Daily driving a 4th gen