New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Decision: LS1 or LT1 ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the LS1 is just too popular, but ive never been one to go with the rest of the crowd..

LT1 LS1

so far: LT1

Old 09-02-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

It's all about what you think looks the best and what is the most financially practical if you are gonna drive it everyday. If you are dead set on a LS1 like you have mentioned then get the LS1 because of the styling. The LT1 isn't as strong as the LS1 which has been noted BUT in the grand scheme of things where all out performance is concerned both can be extremely quick. FWIW a LT1 can be stroked and bored for about 1/4 of what an aluminum LS1 can be bored and stroked for and still slightly less than a 6.0 motor in todays market, not to say that may or maynot change in the future though. If you are going to mod it and so on and have a suspicion you are gonna turn it into an all out hotrod I would recommend the LT1 for this reason alone. It is cheaper. This quality would make it a good vehicle to make your first mistakes with LOL being you said you haven't done this much. All of us that are into cars remember those first mistakes. Some were worse than others. If you are sticking to basic mods go with a LS1. If you are gonna get nuts I would consider the LT1.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has a 96 Formula lt1,6speed a REALLY NICE CAR has all the bolt ons even 4.11 gears and it won"t run with a stock ls1. Its fast butttttttt!!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Think about it ... the original small block Chevy engine debuted in 1955 and was still in production through the late 90's. LT1 production began in 92 and was done in 97. The LSx architechture was introduced in 97 and is undergoing continued development today and will for many years to come. The LT1 architechture with the optispark was merely a stepping stone up to the LSx platform. It was a poor design, vexed with problems and is history ... but not the kind of history that will generate nostalgia. It may run good, but forget about it. LS1 is it ...
Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Launching!

well its evolution.. L98-Lt1-Ls1-Ls2 etc..

dont base ur decision on whats popular or whats higher on the fuel chain, there r pros and cons to everything..
Old 09-02-2004, 11:21 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Mark
No love for the LT1
I bought an LT1 ($4500) and never looked back becasue of the amount of money I spent compared to what an LS1 would have cost. I have beaten my friends LS1's many a time on the street, however they will pull me up top, and with not even full boltons it runs 12.7's. Its not common for an LT1 to run as good as mine has(thankfully) If you can get an LS1 for a good price get it, but the thing I like about my car is everyone expects it to be a low 14/high 13 second car
Representing the LT1
-Mark
You have a 93... they always seem to run the best. The speed density helps a lot.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kossuth
It's all about what you think looks the best and what is the most financially practical if you are gonna drive it everyday. If you are dead set on a LS1 like you have mentioned then get the LS1 because of the styling. The LT1 isn't as strong as the LS1 which has been noted BUT in the grand scheme of things where all out performance is concerned both can be extremely quick. FWIW a LT1 can be stroked and bored for about 1/4 of what an aluminum LS1 can be bored and stroked for and still slightly less than a 6.0 motor in todays market, not to say that may or maynot change in the future though. If you are going to mod it and so on and have a suspicion you are gonna turn it into an all out hotrod I would recommend the LT1 for this reason alone. It is cheaper. This quality would make it a good vehicle to make your first mistakes with LOL being you said you haven't done this much. All of us that are into cars remember those first mistakes. Some were worse than others. If you are sticking to basic mods go with a LS1. If you are gonna get nuts I would consider the LT1.
But you don't even need to go with a stroked 6.0 to reach the power of a stroked LT1. Throw heads and cam in a 346 and set everything up right, you'll be running 10's with the LT1 guys in their big mouse motors.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

My vote is for the LT1. Both are great cars, so its just up to you. But me being an LT1 owner I get kinda tired of LS1 guys always raggin on LT1's. Plus lving in Houston all the ram-air LS1 TA's are startin to get crazy. See so many everday, not NEARLY as bad as mustangs, but im gettin worried.

Guess I just like to be different thats why i have an LT1 Formula. I have a 93 with 100k miles and the only major thing that crapped out on me so far has been the opti, which went at 75k. Car runs really strong for just havin an CAI and exhaust (dyno'd 285hp 310tq) and im sure it will continue to. Stock vs stock the LS1 is much faster, but if u plan on some serious modding then either one can be made very fast.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Flint, Michigan (Yeah, the little "F" you might find on your VIN)

If you look hard enough you'll find a nice LS1 T/A in your price range. While not a bird, A buddy of mine just bought a '99 Convertible Z28 with 40k miles for ten grand in amazing condition. You'd be amazed how fast dodge dealerships want to get rid of those bowties on their used-car lots.

Other than that, the LS1 will throw you back in your seat like there's no tomorrow. Plus with parts availability, ease of modifications / repairs, the LS1 is the way to go. I'm going LS2 in my Chevelle, but... it's just basically a little bigger LS1.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Flint, Michigan (Yeah, the little "F" you might find on your VIN)

Originally Posted by icebergslim1827
My vote is for the LT1. Both are great cars, so its just up to you. But me being an LT1 owner I get kinda tired of LS1 guys always raggin on LT1's. Plus lving in Houston all the ram-air LS1 TA's are startin to get crazy. See so many everday, not NEARLY as bad as mustangs, but im gettin worried.

Guess I just like to be different thats why i have an LT1 Formula. I have a 93 with 100k miles and the only major thing that crapped out on me so far has been the opti, which went at 75k. Car runs really strong for just havin an CAI and exhaust (dyno'd 285hp 310tq) and im sure it will continue to. Stock vs stock the LS1 is much faster, but if u plan on some serious modding then either one can be made very fast.
Yeah, but the boy didn't say anything about rare-factor, just throw-your-***-back-in-your-seat factor.

LT1 -> <- LS1
Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Dude, I'm only two years removed from being that punk you speak of. Don't get me wrong, there are gearheads in higher education. What I was talking about were the people who know absolutely nothing about cars that instantly want to become your friend when they see you pimpin a T/A to school. That's not going to happen in college. All I'm saying is be smart about your purchase. Don't buy the car for the sake of admiration from your peers b/c that is shortlived. Buy it for you and you only.
word...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTONE
My brother has a 96 Formula lt1,6speed a REALLY NICE CAR has all the bolt ons even 4.11 gears and it won"t run with a stock ls1. Its fast butttttttt!!!!
Prior to cam and headers I ran down many STOCK Ls1 cars... Here comes the old LS1 were built by gods own handss thing again..

AVG LT1 car ran 13.9 ~ 14.1 stock
AVG LS1 car runs 13.3 ~ 13.5 stock
Fuel for the fire...friends stock 98 A4 3:23 car ran a best of 13.9 @ 99mph..thats no lie folks.

Some faster/some slower in both camps. A bolt on LT1 will certainly beat a stock LS1

Comes down to budget, preference, etc. I love how the LT1 feels driving it around.. it sounds much better IMHO than the LS1 *many will agree* and its cheap if you blow it up (I know since I just replaced my engine). The LS1 has more out of the box and mod for mod is one step ahead of the LT1 but there is no limit to what you can do. We have an LT1 on MFBA thats in the 8s. Stock block folks. (Note I didnt say internals) Its really up to you. I drove a 98 when I was looking back in 01. I went from that to the LT1 car and the LT1 car just fit me better. Granted the LS1 was a lil faster stock... but the feel of it just sealed the deal for me.

Good luck and I hope you get the right car for you. Not anyone else.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm2420
if u havent decided already, when i lookin to buy mine i noticed the interior quality and feel is better in the ls1 rides. May not be the best in the world but there is a difference. A cars interior is your habitat so i vote for ls1.
plus ls1's look better imo
LS1 Interior is in the 97 LT1s. LT1s had it first.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Launching!

That's very important. Get the car that you want and not what everyone else wants you to get (although it's pretty hard to run against the grain). LT1's aren't as popular as they used to be. I don't see many out in the streets anymore. But there are a lot of LS1's out there. From what I've been reading (not only in this thread, but in countless others) there seems to be a lot of "trash" talk about the LT1 engine. I guess that's okay... just because my toy is better than yours.

The fact is, they are both good engines. The LS1 just has more recent technology in it. Both engines are outdated. With the LS2 and LS6 being produced in some GM cars, the LS1 is starting to feel and look like the old LT1. They both command a lot of repect. The LT1 from the older generation, the LS1 from the younger generation. Both can handle lots of power. 600 hp is 600 hp, no matter what engine your using. And unless your ego is completly fueled by how fast you can go, you're living in Europe, because in America, the fastest you can legally drive is 70 mph give or take 5mph.

If you're not power happy and if you don't live at the track, it's not going to matter which car you decide to get. Sure stock LT1's will lose to stock LS1's. And sure stock LS1's will lose to stock LS2's. Thus, the saga continues. The point is, you will never own the fastest stock car out there. It will be replaced by a better engine the next generation. In fact, us LT1 guys are the only reason why the LS1 guys have so much confidence. Because they can beat an LT1. Not many other pony car owners can say that.

From your POV, it would be logical to get an LT1. It's cheaper and, most importantly, it's still a TRANSAM. Save the rest of your money for college or for a rainy day.

Oh, and I would like to thank Enisguy for providing a link to this thread in the LTx forum, because I never browse through this forum.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stoleit
ls1, but ive seen some scary lt1's...you just gotta put alot of work and alot of $$ into em.
Not a lot of money, I don't have a lot of money wrapped up in my car and its a scary lt1. Everyone keeps mentioning the ls1 is faster but they don't mention the extra 10 grand its going to cost that you could use for mod money. It's really your choice but can either have a stock looking/slow(low/mid 13's) ls1 since your budget doesn't really leave anything for mods, or you could have a 383 trans am lt1 with badass wheels/lowered/tint/etc that will run 11's all day long and will be more unique. For 15k you can build a realiable low 11 second lt1 trans am easily. Plus then you get to beat up on all those cocky ls1 guys who think their sh*t don't stink.

Some things to think about, if you get a 6 speed, plan on having to spend $2300 for a rear end because you will break it if you run sticky tires, and if you run street tires then your just going to get owned from a stop.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Well, IMO, it totally depends what you want. If you're like most of us in here, money doesn't come easy. If you want a fast car to race with and are limited to a specific starting budget then a low cost LT1 car is the best option. I can say from experience beacause I own both right now. My 02 Z28, A4, 2.73gears, w/ K&N and hooker catback vs. my wifes 94 Impala SS (4200lbs) with all the bolt-ons and 3.08's in the rear. In the 1/8th she takes me by a car, in the 1/4 I come back and get her by a car. Now we have the Hotcam kit and My self prepped set of heads to go on, just need to find the time. I have run my Z against a guys Imp that has my heads on them with the Hotcam kit and 3.73's, He embarrassed me and quite a few other LS1 cars as well as LT1 and Fords out there. Plus the LT1 has more built in options such as boring, stroking and the longevity is better. 383-401 cid is very easy to attain, where-as the LS1 is limited to stock bore, unless you have BIG bucks. All the LT1 needs is a good set of heads and hp possibilities are unlimited. As fot the optispark, there are wys around it or just deal with it. Most don't like it because of the work involved getting to it, but it's still a good system. Both engines are good designs, but as of now the LS1 is much more expensive to build on, But in turn the LS1 puts out more power stock so you're starting with a higher baseline horsepower (about 65-70hp more). It's totally your decision, But as said above, get it for YOU, not for your friends. No matter what, in the end, whatever you buy will be your's and you'll be proud to say it's "your's"
Old 09-03-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I doubt you're going to find the *right* LS1 T/A you want in your price range at the present time.

My suggestion for you is to WAIT until you graduate HS to get it. You'll have more money saved up, have lower payments AND get the car cheaper. Plus a nice car will mean so MUCH more when you're in college compared to being in HS because really, HS is a joke and NOTHING matters or compares to college.

Plus in HS you have the ***-monkeys who will key/damage your car because its better than theirs, and the don't like you anyway.

Insurance will also be a bit cheaper for college folks.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:47 AM
STF Veteran

Did you decide yet?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Banned

Man there is a lot of hating going on in here. A lot of lt1 guys that I know wish they could buy an ls1 because its faster. Just get what you can afford and what looks good to you and enjoy. I was worried I couldnt afford my car so i almost bought a 96 formula ws6 for about 8000 less but I am sure glad I didnt.

CMC
Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another point for the LT1 is that its iron block can handle more boost than the aluminium block of the LS1.