Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Decision: LS1 or LT1 ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 01:03 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTa
The Lt1's I think are really not any better than the a solid running L98.
Shhhh don't say that - it might start a flame war!

Really though, the L98 made more torque than the LT1 did, it was just hindered by only being available with an automatic transmission, a restricted intake manifold that didn't like to breath up top, and a tricky computer that actually takes some brains to tune.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Shhhh don't say that - it might start a flame war!

Really though, the L98 made more torque than the LT1 did, it was just hindered by only being available with an automatic transmission, a restricted intake manifold that didn't like to breath up top, and a tricky computer that actually takes some brains to tune.

I agree, I just sold a 89 TA TPI 350, good low end, up top wasn't impressive. Course all that really matters is what you want, everything can be made to go fast. And, I just finished reading all the posts, and in college, all the chicks I 've met are hot rodders and love riding in my car.
One more thing, the only design flaw I have found in the LS1 so far is, the PCV system, and that is easily fixed with AMW's catch can. Versus, LT1 and opti's crappin out. It sucks when your **** starts actin funny then quits, it always happens when I got a girl with me..... But, the LS1.....no problems........so far.

00 WS6 waiting for lid, smooth bellows to show up..........GMMG may be on its way to..........
Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I just picked up a 00 WS6 with 60k miles, excellent shape, bought it froma 56 yr old lady, so it aint never been dogged . I got this one because I think the 98-02 body looks better than the 93-97, And I didn't want to screw with that stupid Optispark system, I have had to work on The LT1's, and truthfully dont like the design at all. The Lt1's I think are really not any better than the a solid running L98. Also have heard so MANY horror stories about the LT1's. Besides the LS1 just rocks, good design, sweet power, major dif. over the LT1. Best advice I can give, please dont send whatever you buy into a pole or ditch, ricers tend to do that. SEE YA.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I picked up the WS6 for 16K, Blue book was like 18K, so there are deals out there.......

Damn, man, perfect find. But you never know, that old lady might be a speed demon at heart!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Teching In

if you havent made up your mind yet, id suggest a ls1 powered trans am if you only plan to go with minor mods like bolts ons and some suspension stuff. if you are looking to do some major work id suggest a lt1 bc once you get real good heads and decent cam and the complementing tuning and suspension work done you will destroy bolt on ls1's and maybe even some that are heads/cam. this is all assuming the smog police arent real strict where ur at.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, I just sold a 89 TA TPI 350, good low end, up top wasn't impressive. Course all that really matters is what you want, everything can be made to go fast. And, I just finished reading all the posts, and in college, all the chicks I 've met are hot rodders and love riding in my car.
One more thing, the only design flaw I have found in the LS1 so far is, the PCV system, and that is easily fixed with AMW's catch can. Versus, LT1 and opti's crappin out. It sucks when your **** starts actin funny then quits, it always happens when I got a girl with me..... But, the LS1.....no problems........so far.

00 WS6 waiting for lid, smooth bellows to show up..........GMMG may be on its way to..........
T-tops also help with the chicks
Old 09-06-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
T-tops also help with the chicks
AMEN

Damn, man, perfect find. But you never know, that old lady might be a speed demon at heart!

If she did dog it, it would show. At 60K you can tell if its been dogged, stuff rattles more, the car overall isn't as "tight" as new. Another plus for the LS1 is, the OBDII system, much better codes which in turn helps pinpoint any problems. Good luck with your search, I say TA first, but camaros are just as cool too. Rock on .
Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

How far were you planning on going with the mods?? I see everyone suggesting heads and cam and stuff, but what were your plans for the car??Daily driver through skool??Track car?? Just curious.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
Buy a LS1 and throw it a set of 4.10's with drag radials. I can guarantee that you will be pushed back in your seat.

I had a 96 Z28 LT1 and trade it for a 99 Firehawk LS1, and never regret it! Only thing I miss is the sound of my LT1 with headers and catback.
I must agree here, my dads SS w/ 4.10's and full boltons minus a couple things has hella torque off the line and just keeps pulling.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

How far were you planning on going with the mods?? I see everyone suggesting heads and cam and stuff, but what were your plans for the car??Daily driver through skool??Track car?? Just curious.

Well, it is going to be a daily driver. I want it to look good and hold it's own on the track. I really can't see any heads/cam (serious modificatios) in the near future, so it will be a bolt on car for the most part.

ls1

*I favor the ls1 styling over the lt1.
*Out of the box, the ls1 is faster.
*Interior is nicer (minus the 97')
*Easier to work on
-expensive

lt1

*cheaper! (more mooney for the goodies)
*that "feel good" low end torque (out of the box)
*That exhaust note!
-problems

Well, as of right now guys, I am leaning toward an ls1. Here is my situation:

I work at Target ( )
I am taking co-op (school half day/work half day)
I put EVERY check in the bank. I use my frickin lunch money for gas and barely spend a dime on myself.
My parents will match the amount that I save up when I am ready to purchase a vehicle. Recently, I have just won the war with the parentals about even buying a T/A. (Thank God) My parents wouldn't see eye to eye with me about buying an lt1 and spending the rest of the money on mods. "This money is for the CAR only"... So I want to try to get the nicest T/A I can with my money. By january I will finally have 5k in the bank. My mom says she will pull out a loan for 10k. So 15k for a nice T/A. (I will pay the rest of the money off when I get the car). So far it looks like an ls1 with mid-high miles will be my best option.

Originally Posted by redarrow
If you plan on going to the track and making a lot of 1/4 mile runs, than the LS1 is going to be better out of the box. But if you just plan on toying around on the street to 80mph, the LT1 is more than adequate. Not to mention, the LT1 sounds awesome. My LS1 sounds like a blender.
Redarrow has brought up a good point. Personally, I am not as concerned with raw track times. I enjoy "toying around" and will probably be doing more street racing. From a roll, ls1's are the **** because od their high-end, but I will be exceeding 120 m.p.h. as little as possible (can't afford a ticket (insurance) like that). So, that fun, around town rumbling will probably suit me better. Well...I guess I'll just have to wait and see what develops.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Well, if you're having trouble spending money now, then getting a car that you'll want to mod will hurt you even worse.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, six pages and going...
Just get the LT1, and when you buy an LS1/2 in the future you'll appreciate more. Look at my sig for my evolution of car ownership. If I would have jumped into what I have now, I'd be dead.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if you're having trouble spending money now, then getting a car that you'll want to mod will hurt you even worse.

Honestly guys, I would be completley happy with a basic bolt-on/rims/drop T/A running low 13's. And as long as I have the T/A, I'll be happy with it...even stock.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slammed-am
Honestly guys, I would be completley happy with a basic bolt-on/rims/drop T/A running low 13's. And as long as I have the T/A, I'll be happy with it...even stock.
A bolt-on Trans am (at least in my book) is in the mid 12's

(LT's, lid, !FRA/others, cat-back, gears, tires, suspension)

-Todd
Old 09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 is the way to go
Old 09-06-2004, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Id say go with an lt1 and save your money.

I bought my car for $7500 with just over 40k miles on it, now its bolt-on and cammed for much less than $10k total, including labor (i dont have the resources or time to do it myself). yes there are reliability issues with the lt1, opti.. ect... , but from what ive seen its a very reliable motor. i have a friend with a 95 caprice classic he bought from a police auction, it has 248,000 miles on it and still runs like a bastard. granted, it has iron heads, and cause it was a cop car it has a oil cooler, trans cooler, PS cooler, ect... but 248k miles is alot, and im told these engines in f-bods will run at least 150k miles without breaking a sweat, with very mininal problems. Of course this is ganna be an ls1 biased crowd, most of the people here own ls1's, so they already made the decision to buy an ls1 over an lt1. It is all around a better motor, and as ive said before, i wanted an ls1 but i didnt have the $, so i took the next best thing. I think for this situation go for the lt1. Just another opinion
Old 09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by slammed-am
I'll be happy with it...even stock.
I remember saying those words before.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

I remember saying those words before.

i remember thinking those words while selling my '84 vette. "anything faster than this POS would be great, i wouldnt even need to mod an lt1" - that lasted all of 2 weeks.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i think i got him set up... He came by the shop, i gave him a little bit of info, and what to look for problems wise for a ragged out ls1, or one in good shape... as well as why the ls1 is better then the lt1 and why he should save up.

I guess he was happy with the shop and what not! Glad we got ourselves a new ls1 fanatic on our hands!

Gray
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The people speaking are LS1 owners with a few having owned an LT1 in teh past so the opinions are fairly biased, but somewhat accurate. LT1's arent the "dogs" a lot of people say they are. When the LS1 first came out in 97, I had a hard time finding one that would beat me in my 6 spd LT1 with CAI and Cutout. Every year they got faster adn faster and now they are obviusly faster out of the box, but not by 50 RWHP. My LT1 bone stock dynoed 272 RWHP and i had been beaten by many other bone stock LT1's at the time from roll ons and dead stops. Its the older motor and not as technilogically advanced as the LS1 for sure, but it still has TONS of potential and you can still get well over 400 rwhp with a heads cam setup on a LT1. Several members in the LT1 section have H/C setups with over 400 rwhp so please done let a board of LS1ers tell you the LT1 stinks without talking to the LT1ers as well. We will be the first to admit that the LS1 is a faster car from the factory, but LT1's still make incredible power and no, it doesnt take a lot of money to do it, infact most of the aftermarket parts for LT1's are CHEAPER!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gangly
The people speaking are LS1 owners with a few having owned an LT1 in teh past so the opinions are fairly biased, but somewhat accurate. LT1's arent the "dogs" a lot of people say they are. When the LS1 first came out in 97, I had a hard time finding one that would beat me in my 6 spd LT1 with CAI and Cutout. Every year they got faster adn faster and now they are obviusly faster out of the box, but not by 50 RWHP. My LT1 bone stock dynoed 272 RWHP and i had been beaten by many other bone stock LT1's at the time from roll ons and dead stops. Its the older motor and not as technilogically advanced as the LS1 for sure, but it still has TONS of potential and you can still get well over 400 rwhp with a heads cam setup on a LT1. Several members in the LT1 section have H/C setups with over 400 rwhp so please done let a board of LS1ers tell you the LT1 stinks without talking to the LT1ers as well. We will be the first to admit that the LS1 is a faster car from the factory, but LT1's still make incredible power and no, it doesnt take a lot of money to do it, infact most of the aftermarket parts for LT1's are CHEAPER!
Well said!