New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Decision: LS1 or LT1 ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my ls1, but I would say get a good running LT1 and make a 396 out of it. I Think that is the best bang for the buck big cube motor for a fbody car ls1 or lt1. get some good flowing heads, and then a good custome grind cam and there ya go, you got over 500whp with a good tune and the apropriate supporting mods like fuel etc. Just my opinion. Oh btw if u like the looks of the newer cars just do a front bumper swap with fenders, headlights and all. 396 LT1
Old 09-03-2004, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both so I'm not Bias either way....I say test drive both then decide..

side note however, I love my opti,it is my friend!!! stock for stock I give it to the ls1's but for max effort, the Lt1 being a wittle lil iron block engine holds its own.... I dont think neither one could down the other, no matter what love you have for either engine ...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

wow, too many biased people here for sure. I just decided to build a hobby car, I got so rapped up going to the track with a buddies hemi truck bone stock with 100 shot of nos to run 12.75s. So many nay sayers and it's been done. I like it and missed it very much so I decdied to by a formula.

I know the ls1 was faster and really didn't care. Money wasn't really the option but I figured since it was a hobbie car, oh well. Whatever I can find.

I looked at some 98s and 99 firebirds, not too bad but they wanted 12k for them with about 60k on the miles. I though, hmmm, that's really not too bad.

than I ran into a 97 lt1 formula. it had only 86k on it, ice cold air, ran really good. The optispark has been resolved sorta with a vacuum hose to keep the moisture out of it (applies to the 96 too). So I decided to buy it. I picked it up for a cool $4500 bucks. Man, I was tickled pink. That's $7500-10k cheaper. Even the 98 they wanted 9500. That's crazy I thought. Sure, it's about 5 tenths faster roughly, but I can get that with about 1k investment. It's a 97 lt1 formula with A4 2.73s. Slapped a hypertech 3 programmer and a MAS and the damn car ran 13.7, wow, what a deal I have.

Hey, I love the ls1 but I don't dream about getting one. You can make either car go faster. It's all about the money, period. I don't care what anyone says. I can make a civic run 10s too. Like I said, it's all about the money.

Get whatever you like, it's all about the look that you want. Just as others have said, it's yours and your hard working money that you put into it.

I was ready to spend my 12k on a 99. This is recent, I just bought this car 5 weeks ago and never thought twice about wishing to own an ls1.

I am happy with my purchase. I got the car dirt cheap, it's in great shape, and I know have an slp intake and I have the 4.10s to put in, and I'm hitting 12s for sure easily. Not bad for only about 1k extra. so let's see, that's about 7k for a car to run 12s and a little tuning with a full blown exhaust system, here comes 11s.

Honestly, I like them both, hell, I like them all. Seriously, make it a decision that you want. ls1 is faster for sure bone stock but consider the aftermarket and the money you saved on the lt1.

Like I said, it's all about the money. You can make anything faster, it's how much money are you willing to spend. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Flint, Michigan (Yeah, the little "F" you might find on your VIN)

"wow, too many biased people here for sure."

You'd almost think this is LS1Tech.com or something.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Just recently, (end of june/ beginning of july) I got my 99 Z28 for $10,500 with 49k miles. It's even a convertible, which from my thinking, should make the price higher compared to the coupe or t-top versions. The car's in great shape, totally clean, and fully optioned with power everything, leather, the works.

Qouted Wickedwarlock: "Slapped a hypertech 3 programmer and a MAS and the damn car ran 13.7, wow, what a deal I have. I got the car dirt cheap, it's in great shape, and I know have an slp intake and I have the 4.10s to put in, and I'm hitting 12s for sure easily. Not bad for only about 1k extra. so let's see, that's about 7k for a car to run 12s and a little tuning with a full blown exhaust system, here comes 11s."

Not to hate, but I wouldn't think 4.10's and an intake would yield 7/10's on an otherwise stock motor. Let alone even a complete exhaust on top of that taking off another whole second. You'd have to use your ricer calculator to figure gains like that. No way in hell in my mind, but hey, good luck.

Regardless, I have nothing against lt1's. I was in the same situation when looking for one of these cars. I looked at a couple lt1's. The main thing that worried me were the ignition problems I heard about. Another big influence was the newer body style and interior. Once I drove an ls1 , there was no going back. I shopped around and found mine for the crazy deal I got it for. Haven't regretted spending the extra money in the least bit. Like I said though, if the lt1 is what you can afford, then why not. It's still gonna be pretty cool and damn fast. I would've killed to have one in high school, but I had to wait another 2 years.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the choice to ditch my LT1 and buy an LS1, or keep it and get a daily driver. Needless to say I kept the LT1, believe it or not you can make them fast. It really depends on what you want to do, if you know what your doing and know how to buy some stuff used, you can build the hell out of an LT1. Also, LT1 guys may bitch, but in comparison to an LS1 our motors are cheap as hell to build. I had a choice between an LT1 and a Mustang 4.6 GT, i took the LT1. My buddy just bought a complete used blower kit for his LT1, S trim and all for 2200. Once you really get in to these cars you realize stupid LT1 Vs LS1 debated are reserved to the people who will never really build their car past bolt ons or maybe heads and cam.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
STF Veteran

I love 'em both, however, if you are not interested in building a stroker or heavy modding, and if you plan on light bolt-ons, get the LS1. Yes you can build an LT1 cheaper, just depends on what you're looking to do. Keep this in mind

LT1 = 230-240 RWHP, very high 13's stock.
LS1 = 300 RWHP, low 13's stock.

Do the math.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Z28vert
Just recently, (end of june/ beginning of july) I got my 99 Z28 for $10,500 with 49k miles. It's even a convertible, which from my thinking, should make the price higher compared to the coupe or t-top versions. The car's in great shape, totally clean, and fully optioned with power everything, leather, the works.

Qouted Wickedwarlock: "Slapped a hypertech 3 programmer and a MAS and the damn car ran 13.7, wow, what a deal I have. I got the car dirt cheap, it's in great shape, and I know have an slp intake and I have the 4.10s to put in, and I'm hitting 12s for sure easily. Not bad for only about 1k extra. so let's see, that's about 7k for a car to run 12s and a little tuning with a full blown exhaust system, here comes 11s."

Not to hate, but I wouldn't think 4.10's and an intake would yield 7/10's on an otherwise stock motor. Let alone even a complete exhaust on top of that taking off another whole second. You'd have to use your ricer calculator to figure gains like that. No way in hell in my mind, but hey, good luck.

Regardless, I have nothing against lt1's. I was in the same situation when looking for one of these cars. I looked at a couple lt1's. The main thing that worried me were the ignition problems I heard about. Another big influence was the newer body style and interior. Once I drove an ls1 , there was no going back. I shopped around and found mine for the crazy deal I got it for. Haven't regretted spending the extra money in the least bit. Like I said though, if the lt1 is what you can afford, then why not. It's still gonna be pretty cool and damn fast. I would've killed to have one in high school, but I had to wait another 2 years.
so you don't think going from 2.73s to 4.10s won't drop 7 tenths, hehe?

come on ricer calculator, haha. Hey, I had a 95 tbird with 3.08s that run 15.8 bone stock. I put in 3.73s and the car ran 14.7 bone stock.

I've spent my time at the track, much 10 years ago, and probably 30 times in the past few months. I'm not going to step down with the wise cracks.

every 10hp is 1 tenth roughtly in the quarter or every 100 pounds less weight is 1 tenth too.

I don't expect a full second from the exhuast but I do with the 2.73s to the 4.10s. Possible a little more if I don't break the rear, haha.

So if I hit 12.7s with the 4.10s and how much power is a set of headers, high flow cat etc get me? That's damn close to 60hp correct? 11s are going to be close depending on traction issues. So now I have to go with larger tires/rims, that's another factor and yes, I need all the luck I can get but we shall see in time.

and yes, if I found a 99 for 10k with only 49k on the miles. I honestly would of considered one too. I say you did get a good deal.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr1970Chevelle
"wow, too many biased people here for sure."

You'd almost think this is LS1Tech.com or something.
hehe, I love it. Just because it's ls1tech.com, it doesn't mean you have to be biased. Hey, I like anything that goes fast.

It's typical of these sites, brand loyal only. HAHA, Got to love it.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
hehe, I love it. Just because it's ls1tech.com, it doesn't mean you have to be biased. Hey, I like anything that goes fast.

It's typical of these sites, brand loyal only. HAHA, Got to love it.
Not really a brand loyalty issue when they're both built by the same company. Hell, I don't even have an LT1/LS1/LS2/LS6 etc... but I understand this is LS1tech.com and it's obvioiusly going to be biased towards LS1's. I wouldn't go to a Republican or Democrat convention and ask who to vote for...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Hey what's up? I would go with an LS1 obvioulsy because it's newer and faster. Just so that you know, I bought my 2000 Z for $14,000 two years ago with an extended warranty up to 75,000 miles. It had 26,000 when I bought it. You can find a good TA with an LS1 for that price range now. As a matter of fact I have a friend that is selling a '02 Ram Air for about $18,000. I know you said this might be out of your price range, but its a hell of a deal and has low mileage. PM me if you are interested in possibly working something out with him. It's fully loaded black on black leather plus he is here in Texas!!!! Good Luck with whatever you decide!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr1970Chevelle
Not really a brand loyalty issue when they're both built by the same company. Hell, I don't even have an LT1/LS1/LS2/LS6 etc... but I understand this is LS1tech.com and it's obvioiusly going to be biased towards LS1's. I wouldn't go to a Republican or Democrat convention and ask who to vote for...
ok, a good point you have there, hehe. I agree, the voting debate is going to be ugly this year, lol.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slammed-am
Anyways, when i drive a fast car, my favorite part is being thrown back againt my seat at takeoff (low end tq)
Buy a LS1 and throw it a set of 4.10's with drag radials. I can guarantee that you will be pushed back in your seat.

I had a 96 Z28 LT1 and trade it for a 99 Firehawk LS1, and never regret it! Only thing I miss is the sound of my LT1 with headers and catback.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
Buy a LS1 and throw it a set of 4.10's. I can guarantee that you will be pushed back in your seat (if you can hook the tires).

I had a 96 Z28 LT1 and trade it for a 99 Firehawk LS1, and never regret it! Only thing I miss is the sound of my LT1 with headers and catback.
put a set of 4.10s on anything with power and it will throw you back in the seat. Lt1 or Ls1 and even those gts and cobras do it too, haha. I just couldn't resist.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
put a set of 4.10s on anything with power and it will throw you back in the seat. Lt1 or Ls1 and even those gts and cobras do it too, haha. I just couldn't resist.
Yeah, but at least with an F-Body you're driving a real performance car and you don't look like an ***-clown in a Ford. >=) (Now this is brand loyalty. )
Old 09-03-2004, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TA TED
I love 'em both, however, if you are not interested in building a stroker or heavy modding, and if you plan on light bolt-ons, get the LS1. Yes you can build an LT1 cheaper, just depends on what you're looking to do. Keep this in mind

LT1 = 230-240 RWHP, very high 13's stock.
LS1 = 300 RWHP, low 13's stock.

Do the math.
Almost looks like you took A4 dyno numbers for the LT1 and M6 for the LS1 Might want to dig around a lil more
Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Almost looks like you took A4 dyno numbers for the LT1 and M6 for the LS1 Might want to dig around a lil more
My vote is to get the LS1. If you are anything like me (18 years old..moslty interested in status over substance since $$ and skills are lacking) then you won't be able to dump the money into the LT1 to make it faster than the LS1. I had an LT1 as my first car for about six months. I loved that car and it sounded wicked and much better than my LS1. I no longer own the LT1 because it was wrecked last year by a stupid women who doesn't know what stop signs me.

I got a lot of money for the car and since the first snow storm was next week, I decided to save my money untill spring and buy a car. I looked at LT1's again and realized that with my funds I could make the LT1 faster than the LS1, but racing is not everything. I wanted a newwer car, that looked newer (even though mine is a whole one year newer than the LT1..) the whole package of the car made the LS1 better. I still bought the car for me, hell I leave for school in five hours and I am not even taking it with me (don't want some drunk kid smashing into at the parking lot) and it is for me, no one else.

If you honeslty want the fastest car, get an LT1 or a 5.0. If you are happy with the speed of a bolt-on LS1, that gets MUCH better gas milage than a stroked H/C LT1 and looks new, get the LS1 because you can honeslty make anything fast now-adays. Oh and I love the styling of the LS1 T/A!

One final thing...we are turning into mustang guys always fighting with each other! Can't we all get along! No more LS1 vs. LT1 or LT1 vs L98!

-Todd
Old 09-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

"One final thing...we are turning into mustang guys always fighting with each other! Can't we all get along! No more LS1 vs. LT1 or LT1 vs L98! "

Oh Christ, we were just compared to Ford guys...
Old 09-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Lord 'a mercy ... ok, I've been an LS1 supporter on this thread, but now I have to 'fess up ... I was really disappointed in my LS1 w/2.73s compared to my old 94 LT1 w/3.23s. Had to change out to 3.42s on my LS1 to try to approximate the feel of my LT1, and I have to admit, it's still not quite as good around town. But that's driveability and low-end part-throttle torque. Pedal to the metal - LS1 is faster. But if you can save big bucks and buy an LT1, go for it. Just be prepared for the hassles.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man, I just picked up a 00 WS6 with 60k miles, excellent shape, bought it froma 56 yr old lady, so it aint never been dogged . I got this one because I think the 98-02 body looks better than the 93-97, And I didn't want to screw with that stupid Optispark system, I have had to work on The LT1's, and truthfully dont like the design at all. The Lt1's I think are really not any better than the a solid running L98. Also have heard so MANY horror stories about the LT1's. Besides the LS1 just rocks, good design, sweet power, major dif. over the LT1. Best advice I can give, please dont send whatever you buy into a pole or ditch, ricers tend to do that. SEE YA.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I picked up the WS6 for 16K, Blue book was like 18K, so there are deals out there.......

Last edited by psykoTa; 09-06-2004 at 12:23 AM.