Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a stock LS1 can beat

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by popocamaro2
around here you cant even get an evo or wrx to run you (street or track) unless they have modded the crap out of it other then that they are like all the other 4 banger drivers they are all on the gas until a real car pulls up beside them then they act like they dropped something on the floor board or acting like they gotta make a call on their cell so they dont have to look over at the LS1 driver whos grinning ear to ear

AHH. Funny/true story but please for the love of god use sentences

-Todd
Old 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry its hard to type and think at the same time :O) so it leads to run ons
Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry its hard to type and think at the same time :O) so it leads to run ons

hehe, it certainly does. sorry

my bad

-Todd
Old 09-06-2004, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
hehe, it certainly does. sorry

my bad

-Todd
OFF TOPIC!?!?!?! Now THAT is funny!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To see which car is "faster" you know just as well as I do that trap speed says which car is putting more power done and is "faster".

Which car is "faster"?

A car that runs a 12.9 at 103 or a car that runs a 13.0 at 115?

I do agree with you about the real race part. I do like racing from a roll, though. Just not against those cars that run 13.0's at 115.

-Todd

I have a friend with a "Pro Street" S10 that's tubbed with a cage, only gets trailered everywhere, etc... Runs 12.2 @ 114. It's geared so low, and that's why it's quick, not because it has some crazy motor (just a mild 350). The mph he's running would get him killed by bolt on LS1's though if he were to race from a roll.

OTOH, 12's are becoming quite boring when we have bolt on Cobra's running 10's.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Quit magazine racing. That's like taking my LS1 and saying it's got 305 hp stock so it should lose to the 320 horse 99/01 Cobra. Why don't you get a reliable quote on the real world 1/4 time of those two??????

Not that the newer M3 is slow, it is by no means a slouch and can pull low 13's, but the M5 is capable of 12's when driven properly.
Well I wanted to avoid a reliable quote from my favorite magazine so I took that approach. Here's what C & D got from an M3. "Our M3 arrived in July 2001 and quickly captivated the hotshoes in the office with its amazing acceleration and sure-footed handling. With 1940 miles on it, we took the M3 to the test track and measured a 0-to-60 time of 4.5 seconds and a standing quarter-mile of 13.1 seconds at 107 mph. The electric-blue M3 also showed great grip, managing 0.87 g on the skidpad and stopping from 70 mph in 161 feet. Not bad for a car that can hold four adults and a decent load of luggage."
And the M5 from a comparo test. "Staying in the heart of the power band was more important for the M5 this time around than three years ago, when it was hard to imagine 400 horsepower might not be enough. But that was the case in this encounter. The Bimmer was third to 60 mph at 4.9 seconds and third in the quarter-mile, 13.4 seconds at 108 mph."
Old 09-07-2004, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSLude99
Well I wanted to avoid a reliable quote from my favorite magazine so I took that approach. Here's what C & D got from an M3. "Our M3 arrived in July 2001 and quickly captivated the hotshoes in the office with its amazing acceleration and sure-footed handling. With 1940 miles on it, we took the M3 to the test track and measured a 0-to-60 time of 4.5 seconds and a standing quarter-mile of 13.1 seconds at 107 mph. The electric-blue M3 also showed great grip, managing 0.87 g on the skidpad and stopping from 70 mph in 161 feet. Not bad for a car that can hold four adults and a decent load of luggage."
And the M5 from a comparo test. "Staying in the heart of the power band was more important for the M5 this time around than three years ago, when it was hard to imagine 400 horsepower might not be enough. But that was the case in this encounter. The Bimmer was third to 60 mph at 4.9 seconds and third in the quarter-mile, 13.4 seconds at 108 mph."
I'm baffled. Questions: Is that information 3+ years old? They make it as if the M5 was slower than the previous iteration.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are we talking the m5 with the big v6 or the m5 with the v8??? Because i think we can hang with the v6 but i doubt it with the v8, but who knows never even thought about racing one
Old 09-07-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
4 pages ...geez...
real life. on the street any car that lines up next to you and is within 1 sec of your 1/4 mile time has a shot to beat you.
you wanna find out what can beat YOUR ls1..... line her up and race
Straight to the point. Point blank.

you wanna find out what can beat YOUR ls1.....line her up and race. jaberwki that was classic.

Last week at a light I had a Mustang really pushing hard to pass me after the light turned green, I press the gas pedal, gave it more gas and left the Mustang screeming. The Mustang had to be a 6 cylinder because the engine was screeming like HELL and this was an older woman, thinking her Stang can beat my Z28, I wasn't even aware she was trying to pass me till I heard the awful screem from her car -stock exhaust.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
Are we talking the m5 with the big v6 or the m5 with the v8??? Because i think we can hang with the v6 but i doubt it with the v8, but who knows never even thought about racing one
The early 90's M5's are not fast anymore. A bone stock LT1 would embarress it, let alone an LS1. Hell, I even think Mustang GT's will beat it stock.

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I'm baffled. Questions: Is that information 3+ years old? They make it as if the M5 was slower than the previous iteration.
The M5 info is from this year - a super sedan test including the latest E55 AMG, Audi RS6, and the Jaguar S-Type R. What they were saying is the M5 was fast in the last comparo test, but this time around there was just too much competetion for it (i.e. the 390hp Jag the 450hp Audi and the 469hp Mercedes). Both the M5 and M3 (which is still for sale) are the most recent generations that have been released to dealers. Those numbers are not for the upcoming 500hp M5.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Is this the post with the guy posting about the gt beating the a4s? When are mustang guys going to realise that fbody autos kick A$$ unlike ford autos.

Can believe some guy with a gt tried talking about beating ls1s.

As a matter of fact I beat one the other night w/o my maf working or a left front 02. I didnt kill him like i or any other normal ls1 would but get the point.

Just wondering

Cant ls1s beat the sti and c5.

I have seen both done stock vs. stock. C5 isnt always going to be like that but i know its very possible.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

The early 90's M5's are not fast anymore. A bone stock LT1 would embarress it, let alone an LS1. Hell, I even think Mustang GT's will beat it stock.

-Todd
I have seen this done ^^^^^

But i have to ask how in the hell you pulled a 2.6 60'. I was doing better than that when i was peg legging

Not trying to **** you off but why do u have a 10 disc sony as a mod?

Im honestly curisous about these things not trying to be a dick.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transambandit
Also keep in mind the M5 weighs 4024 lbs CURB WEIGHT... while our F-Bodies weigh in at ~3500... a 500 lb weight advantage can help a lot.

If you had an F-Body that weighed around 4000 lbs you'd need around ~330 ish RWHP to keep up with it... but they don't. That extra 500 lbs will slow the M5 ~ 1/2 a second in the quarter if everything else was equal. So I'd say a stock LS1 could easily hang with an M5, and a few bolts could let you beat it.

I'd definately race this guy thoughM5 Stock Dyno I saw it getting dynoed, it sounded badass... but low numbers it should've been 330 ish... that or BMW overrated them
Old 09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I have seen this done ^^^^^

But i have to ask how in the hell you pulled a 2.6 60'. I was doing better than that when i was peg legging

Not trying to **** you off but why do u have a 10 disc sony as a mod?

Im honestly curisous about these things not trying to be a dick.
2.6?! Hmm...you are right.. I need to go change that. That run was not a 2.6. It was a 2.2 . I will go fix that, I never look at my sig lol. I have never pulled a 2.6, ever. Hell, that run was my first and only run ever with this car and I had only been driving stick for two weeks on the car. No flame taken

-Todd

You wish you had a CD Changer . It makes my sig look longer
Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blubyeu2000
An lt4 vette will not take and ls1. the zr1 probably woont either on the street due to traction issues.
dude i dont think you wana say that because as far as traction we got the same prob so it's up to the driver so car for car the zr1 with the lt5 will *** rape, no, not *** rape i meant donkey rape the ls1 in any car stock.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
dude what you should us is that some lunatic is willing to wind his AWD car up to 6000 rpms and dump the clutch (he wont be doing many of those) on a sticky track to pull a 1.6 60'
i dont see many rexes on the street that 6k clutch dump on the street at a stop light.
Honestly, the Subaru puts a pretty mean clutch in both standard WRXs and STis stock. Exedy makes the OEM clutch for both. And from my experiences with it, I have about 20 drag passes and countless street passes all slipped from about 5500 Rpm and my clutch with 56K still is going strong. Now DSM stock clutches are a whole other story, My '95 GSX lasted about a month and about 10 slips before hitting the sack. On another note, i did look at a 2001 WS-6 with 25,000 miles for about 21k from a dealer, think you all may have a new LS1er on your hands.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good news wrxpeed we have turned you from the dark side
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

good news wrxpeed we have turned you from the dark side
Or into a world with less stickers and fart cannons (although the 6-banger crowd seems to be........)

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrxpeed
Honestly, the Subaru puts a pretty mean clutch in both standard WRXs and STis stock. Exedy makes the OEM clutch for both. And from my experiences with it, I have about 20 drag passes and countless street passes all slipped from about 5500 Rpm and my clutch with 56K still is going strong. Now DSM stock clutches are a whole other story, My '95 GSX lasted about a month and about 10 slips before hitting the sack. On another note, i did look at a 2001 WS-6 with 25,000 miles for about 21k from a dealer, think you all may have a new LS1er on your hands.
I will agree, the WRX does have a solid stock clutch in it. Although by no means is it mean't for drag racing, it will take a lot of abuse. I have a buddy who worked the hell out of his clutch in his WRX and it still lasted 22k miles. Like an idiot, he went and replaced it with an all out drag racing clutch and you can probably guess what happened to his transmission on his next trip to the track. Good luck on getting an LS1, but definitely go cheaper than 21k for that Trans.

Quick Reply: What a stock LS1 can beat