Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed EGR & Air + questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed EGR & Air + questions?

Today I decided to remove the EGR system from my car. I used a freeze plug (painted black) to seal the opening where the EGR went into the intake. Then made a block off plate out of some thick aluminum where the lower pipe goes to the manifold. I cut the pipes off the bracket the pump sits on and cleaned it up and painted it & the pump black. I didn’t want to be staring at an SES light so I put the bracket & pump back on so the harness is still reading something from it. I don’t have LS1 edit or any thing to delete the system from the computer . I don’t know where I could get that done for a decent price yet either. But I am glad that it’s not pumping exhaust back down my intake now.

I also removed the air system that pumps air into the exhaust for the cats. I don’t plan on having them very long so I am not worried about them getting messed up. Though I do read that it could or could not mess them up? I don’t understand that one. Made block off plates for them as well. And I left the pump hooked up so the computer doesn’t throw me SES love lights.

I also want to ask dose anyone know the wiring diagram for the EGR pump? There are 5 wires on it. If I knew what each wire was I might be able to make
a simple circuit to trick the computer to think that its still there & then I could remove the pump & bracket.

I want to do the same for the air pump so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I just need to know what each color wire does on the connectors. This would make it easier on me than buying LS1 edit or some other 400+ dollar program(r). Please don’t tell me to just go find a shop to take it to because I talked to one guy at the dealer and he said he knew of a place in Nashville but it would be like $200 dollars or something like that. I am proficient at making things so I feel I could make something circuit wise to just trick the computer for now
Old 09-04-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a code delete should only cost you about 75$. i dont know of any way to "trick the computer" but somebody may be able to help you out.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

i was thinking about deleting my codes, would there ever be a reason to put the code back into the computer, and if so, how would u do that
Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

I dont know any thing about tuning but if you have the option of disableing it(the code) then im sure you could reset it back on. the only reason i see for want to put the code back is putting the EGR & AIR back on, and why would you do that? I bought the race headers w/o the egr previsions so i dont think i'll ever put it back.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got back from town. The SES light is on..lol I guess it didn’t matter if I left the pumps hooked up or not. I am getting codes P0401 & P0410 Ones EGR performance & the other list as AIR System. Well I guess I'll be looking at the SES light till I can find someone to remove those systems from my computer. I will go ahead and remove the pumps tomorrow since leaving them hooked up didn’t work.

I have read on the form that taking all this stuff off & seeing an SES light won’t affect performance. Is this still true or is there another side to the coin?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

No it won't affect performance, what you have read is correct. The only downside to not having the codes removed yet is that you have to stare at the stupid light and if you get more codes you will not know it becaue the light is already on and being ignroed.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I worry a bit about that.
Anyone know of a place in Middle Tennessee or south KY that will delete the stuff I need from my cars computer for a good price?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Launching!

You might want to contact TEA(Total Engine Airflow)
They are out of Bowling Green ,KY and can most likely help you.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Ok I'll see if I can get the number from 411
tnx
Old 09-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Phone: 270-782-6397
Old 09-05-2004, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

tnx I appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Launching!

A friend of mine (Beast) went to TEA and he was really impressed....
I would try to go there if you want a quality job.... You could PM him to ask him how he liked it, if u want..
Old 09-06-2004, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SteelBallz
A friend of mine (Beast) went to TEA and he was really impressed....
I would try to go there if you want a quality job.... You could PM him to ask him how he liked it, if u want..

What’s TEA? Sorry I am not wise on all the abbreviations people use sometimes.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Check the sponsors list.....Total Engine Airflow