Sponsored by:

New Here, Help me out please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, Help me out please.

Hey guys,

I'm new to these cars but they have always been one of my favorite cars.

Before I get started with anythign else, let me introduce myself. My name is Matt and I currently drive a 1992 3000GT VR-4 with a few mods. I haven't run it at the track yet, but I will be next month. I am hoping for mid to low 13's. I love the AWD and the twin turbos, however I have always wanted a Camaro/Firebird. I just love the American V8 and RWD.

Here is my situation, next year (hopefully around summer 2005) I will be looking into getting a new car. Mainly I am going to be looking for 98+ SS or WS6 Trans AM.

I don't know much about the difference between the Ws6 T/A and the ones without the ws6 package, so if you guys could explain the main difference, that'd be great. I'd like to know what year would be the best year to look at, like I said I am new to these cars so all help is very useful.

I have been bit by the mod-bug so ideas and plans for modding my LS1 are already in my thinking process, however if you guys could outline the best mod plans to go by that'd be great as well. Like I said, I am coming from the FI world into the NA world so some mods for you guys may help more than they would have my current car.

-Matt
Old 09-10-2004, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Welcome Matt, You have made a wise decision coming over to the LS1 I'm sure some of the Pontiac guys will speak up.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read The Sticky
Old 09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
Read The Sticky
I tried using the FAQ, most commonly asked questions but with every link that I click I get this message:

"Carnage LS1, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Why's that? what am I doing wrong?

-Matt
Old 09-10-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol ok well here is a little more help than our sticky obseced friend provided, ok first thing you must do is exaust, pref true duals, about $1k, then intake about 500 or so, and last but deff not least get a cam, along with the simple and free mods, like a lid, egr cut off depending on the year( 98-00). with that i guaranteed you you'll see above 350hp maibe even above 400hp at the wheels with a good tune.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zamboxl
lol ok well here is a little more help than our sticky obseced friend provided, ok first thing you must do is exaust, pref true duals, about $1k, then intake about 500 or so, and last but deff not least get a cam, along with the simple and free mods, like a lid, egr cut off depending on the year( 98-00). with that i guaranteed you you'll see above 350hp maibe even above 400hp at the wheels with a good tune.
Thanks.

What should a stock WS6 T/A or SS run in the 1/4? I believe I read 13.5 or lower. Does having an auto prove for slower times? I know with a 3/S NA auto is considerably slower than a manual. Either way, I still want a manual.

-Matt
Old 09-11-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carnage LS1
Thanks.

What should a stock WS6 T/A or SS run in the 1/4? I believe I read 13.5 or lower. Does having an auto prove for slower times? I know with a 3/S NA auto is considerably slower than a manual. Either way, I still want a manual.

-Matt
ok of all you want is speed then get an auto and put a stall converter on it along with the aboved mentioned things. Stock autos are slower until you put a converter on it then forget it the stick will play catch up to the auto after that.

a stock ss or ws6 can go anywhere from 13-14 seconds depending on the track weather and way to many things but ussually it's about mid 13's with quite a few low 13's in there to
Old 09-11-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carnage LS1
Thanks.

-Matt
ok of all you want is speed then get an auto and put a stall converter on it along with the aboved mentioned things. Stock autos are slower until you put a converter on it then forget it the stick will play catch up to the auto after that.

a stock ss or ws6 can go anywhere from 13-14 seconds depending on the track weather and way to many things but ussually it's about mid 13's with quite a few low 13's in there too