New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam, no smoke, put in wrong line??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red face seafoam, no smoke, put in wrong line??

What did I put my seafoam into?
I got ZERO smoke after putting seafoam into my car via their instructions...problem is that I didn't put it into the line I mant to. I had a pic from searching tech that showed a line behind the TB (just above the block) on the *EDIT*passenger side*EDIT* and that was what I MEANT to put it in........I actually pulled the line right on the TB (*passenger* side). It sucked it right up, started ever so slightly harder than usual, but ran and drove like nothing had happened. What did I do?

Edited: yes i meant passenger side don't know why i kept saying driver

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 09-20-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

You mean passenger side top, behind the throttle cable(s)? There are no lines directly connected to the TB on the driver's side. That line feeds fresh air to the crank case, its part of the PCV system. If you fed it into the TB then no problem; if you fed it into the rubber line going to the valve cover, you now have a crank case full of seafoam. Change your oil.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure u put it in the right place since u said it sucked it up. if you put it in the rubber line it shouldnt have sucked it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I edited my first post. I did put it on the passenger side. So, you think it went into the crankcase when I put it inot the one that connects to the TB? I ended up getting some (probably not enough ) into the right place and it had a hard time starting and what not but still didn't smoke.

I can't believe this. I installed my own headers and ****, and plan to do a cam swap (which does scare me) but I can't even seafoam my car without screwing it up!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you put the stuff in the rubber line going to the valve cover, yes it went into the crank case. Yes there is a vaccum, all be it not as strong: from the TB to the valve cover to the other valve cover(s) to the PCV valve to the intake.

Now if you just pulled off the rubber line and ran seafoam into the TB instead of the PCV then all is still good.

If you did put it in the crank case then just change your oil. We all have brain farts from time to time.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

A brain fart.....that sounds like a good writeoff.
Yes, I do in fact need to do an oil change now. Think I'll go ahead and put some more through, especially into the oil, and then change it. What pisses me off about that is that I just changed my oil two weeks ago.

EDIT: 1 more Q: There was hardly ANY vacuum at all through the line I ended up getting to work (brake booster I think) so I had to poor it in through a funnel and didn't get very much. It started, died, started and had to gas it for awhile but still NO smoke. IS there such a thing as too much seafoam? I want to put more in to make srue and get enough, I want to see smoke! I'm sure that my ~55,000 mile car (that i've had for over three yeras) and w/o catch can (i'm ordering one now though) has enough crud in it to smoke, right???

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 09-20-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

I just put it in the brake booster line. I think 1/2 a can. Don't worry I poured seafoam in just about every line going to my intake and had no ill effects, then I found out to put it in the brake booster vacuum line. My car only smoked after I started driving on the road and applied some throttle and only smoked for 2-3 seconds and it put out a huge cloud. I just wish it would've lasted longer. I plan to do it again here soon.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Change the oil and you will be ok
Old 09-20-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kurt D
you now have a crank case full of seafoam. Change your oil.

That's good.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
A brain fart.....that sounds like a good writeoff.
Yes, I do in fact need to do an oil change now. Think I'll go ahead and put some more through, especially into the oil, and then change it. What pisses me off about that is that I just changed my oil two weeks ago.

EDIT: 1 more Q: There was hardly ANY vacuum at all through the line I ended up getting to work (brake booster I think) so I had to poor it in through a funnel and didn't get very much. It started, died, started and had to gas it for awhile but still NO smoke. IS there such a thing as too much seafoam? I want to put more in to make srue and get enough, I want to see smoke! I'm sure that my ~55,000 mile car (that i've had for over three yeras) and w/o catch can (i'm ordering one now though) has enough crud in it to smoke, right???
What?? Are you saying your going to put it in the wrong place again or did u just word it wrong. You need to put it in the tb this time if you wanna see smoke.

maybe im just reading it wrong.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
What?? Are you saying your going to put it in the wrong place again or did u just word it wrong. You need to put it in the tb this time if you wanna see smoke.

maybe im just reading it wrong.
No, the right one this time.

I got some in the right one but not very much because i spilled and it didn't smoke....I might just leave well enoguh alone though, i already have to put my new throttle body, plugs, and wires in as well as change the oil AGAIN before friday. And I have exams this week
Old 09-21-2004, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

I know what you mean about exams, i dont have very much time to work on my car anymore Im always having exams. Im starting to hate science.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Exams

I just finished changing the plugs and wires. Only took 2 1/2 hours, and one full hour of that was the rearmost two on the passenger side. Thank automotive god for: headers, ratcheting wrenches, and the magnet on a retractable rod for dropped parts/tools retrieval.
Still have the ported throttle body and oil change (cause of damn seafoam in oil) to do by friday afternoon....oh and another exam tomorrow....and all the other school ****
Old 09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

To make you feel better, and as a warning, this is how I killed my last LS1. I used GM top end cleaner instead of Seafoam, two cans to be exact, and applied it through the PCV. Followed instructions from the can and from reading on the forums, basically they were the same. Anyway, I let the motor sip up one can and then ~1/2 of the other. I dumped the remaining cleaner into the motor. It stumbled be didn't flood, so I killed it. I waited probably 3 hours (I've read leave it anywhere from 30mins to overnight) and then cranked the car. It was hard to start, as it should be; it finally fired up and belched smoke, again as it should.

Here's my stupid part: The smoke cleared, idle rested where it should, etc. I only reved it a few times as it was dark and my car was very loud. I was in a hurry so only after a few minutes of idling, I got in and started to (quickly) back out and I taped the brakes at the end of the driveway. Well, the stuff had puddled in the intake and the few minutes of idling and reving didn't suck it out . The car almost died, but didn't. Well then I'm greeting with a loud kak-kak-kak sound. Bent #7 all to hell and back.

Bet you can't top that.

Moral: make sure all that crap is out of there before driving off.

Quick Reply: seafoam, no smoke, put in wrong line??