Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car won't start?

Went out to the car today to go work and it would not start. It cranked but just would not start. Checked for any codes or loose wires and did not find any. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

hmm...i know this sounds stupid but did you check the gas??
Old 09-22-2004, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

No full tank, i think it's the fuel pump went out.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what your problem is..lol..been living that for about six months. it is the vats system. ill tell you how to start it. ok, look when it cranks and it doesnt start just have the key in and the ignition running so that all your lights are on on the dashboard and wait about 3 minutes and then crank it up. it should fire up. dont start it before 3 minutes because if you do then it wont start and you are gonna have to wait another 3 min and so on. unfourtunately, you cant do much about this. another thing, from now on when you start your car just put the key in and turn it then wait for the security light to go off before you start it. i have noticed that when i put the key in and start it right away, i have alot more problems starting than if you do it like i said. the only choice to fix it is to take it to the dealer and they will charge u about 500 bucks to get it fixed or by a bypass module on ebay that is about 30 bucks. however, if you buy the module then your car doesnt have a security system and it can be easily stolen.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a clicking sound at all like there is power going anywhere? If not it probably is the VATS, it is really simple to replace the tumbler and get a new key ground with the template supplied. The cost of the new tumbler from a parts store is about $45 and a key from the dealer could be $25, compare this to the $425 it will cost for the replacement from a dealer and it's a great deal. All the tools can be borrowed from the parts store as well. I had to do it on my 94 Z and my 00 SS already, not a prob. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply guys, when I get home Fri I will try what you all have suggested.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I tried everything above and no luck. When I bring the key to on position I do not hear the fuel pump in the back kick on like I use to. So I guess that is what it is. I checked all fuses for the pump and they are fine.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Haha pretty sure i got the answer to this one....I had the EXACT same problem about a month ago. Just filled gas, went someplace, came out to start and nothing. I had a crank and all that but could not here the fuel pump or anything. Had no fuel pressure at the front and the fuses and all that were fine. I bought a fuel pump, put it in the "access" panel way, and still had no luck. We tapped the old fuel pump to the battery just to see if it still worked and it did. Turns out it was a LOOSE GROUND WIRE TO THE FUEL PUMP! The mechanics said that it got knocked loose sometime so I wasn't getting anything. Was one of the most stressful times of my life and I wasted 350 bucks on a fuel pump when i didn't need to. Take it in and have them check for the loose wire. I am almost positive that is what it is, if not, try the fuel pump but I learned that you should always start small. If i would have done this, today I would have an extra 250 bucks (100 bucks for the mechanic to fix it for 2 hrs labor). Good luck and let me know what happened.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i know what your problem is..lol..been living that for about six months. it is the vats system. ill tell you how to start it. ok, look when it cranks and it doesnt start just have the key in and the ignition running so that all your lights are on on the dashboard and wait about 3 minutes and then crank it up. it should fire up. dont start it before 3 minutes because if you do then it wont start and you are gonna have to wait another 3 min and so on. unfourtunately, you cant do much about this. another thing, from now on when you start your car just put the key in and turn it then wait for the security light to go off before you start it. i have noticed that when i put the key in and start it right away, i have alot more problems starting than if you do it like i said. the only choice to fix it is to take it to the dealer and they will charge u about 500 bucks to get it fixed or by a bypass module on ebay that is about 30 bucks. however, if you buy the module then your car doesnt have a security system and it can be easily stolen.

If it does nothing at all and the security light comes on this is the problem. This happend to me not to long ago. I cleaned the vats chip with alcohol and that cleared it up.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:55 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know if our cars have a fuelpump relay but my moms went out in her 96 chevy truck. you can put your finger on it and feel if it clicks on or not. its responsible for priming your fuel system with pressure (makes pump come on when you turn key on). if it doesnt click, get a new one. this could save you from having to buy a new pump and putting it in.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
If it does nothing at all and the security light comes on this is the problem. This happend to me not to long ago. I cleaned the vats chip with alcohol and that cleared it up.
Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. My wifes car (01 Deville) does this randomly. Turn the key and nothing but the securitylight justa flashin'. I called GM and told them of the problem (sugessting that it seemed to be security based) as it has almost left us stranded and it is still under warranty. GM's response: "We can't do anything unless we get a code". They wont even look for anything wrong. (Me---> <----GM Cadillac Division) BTW: I can pay to have them look for something, isn't that soooo nice of them.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Got the car back from the shop. Looks like some of the wiring below the engine fuse box that sends a signal to the fuel injectors broke. The wires were replaced and the car starts fine.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02blkragtopz
Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. My wifes car (01 Deville) does this randomly. Turn the key and nothing but the securitylight justa flashin'. I called GM and told them of the problem (sugessting that it seemed to be security based) as it has almost left us stranded and it is still under warranty. GM's response: "We can't do anything unless we get a code". They wont even look for anything wrong. (Me---> <----GM Cadillac Division) BTW: I can pay to have them look for something, isn't that soooo nice of them.
No problem. I also ordered a new key off of ebay. It was like 12 bucks (87 less then dealership for the same exact key) All you have to do is take your key up to the dealership and ask them what vats number you have (a number between 2-15), then tell that guy at ebay and have the key made like normal.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad your back and running