Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm going to the track...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm going to the track...

I'm going to the race track tomorrow afternoon to run the WS6 for fun. I'm a total and have never raced the straight track before so I was wondering what kind of advice anyone might have before I hit it. Kinda curious too what times I might expect for a stock A4. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

i was just searching for 'track newbie' posts... i've never been to a dragstrip either.

i'm not worried about the launching or the staging, but i am curious to what exact procedures and steps you have to go thru before the fun stuff. i'm the kinda guy who would find a way to make an *** out of himself during even the most simple tasks...

as far as technique and times for a a4, i have no experience. i dont want to come off full of **** for even attempting to give ya advice. just try to take off with as much rpm as you can without spinning very far, i think a little tire squeak is good, means your right at your limit for traction.

what track you going to? i live in il as well, i'd be there if i didnt have these damn ricer tips still on...

good luck man! be sure to tell us all about it.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

What track you going to?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

stock a4, newbie to racing...if you get some mid to low 13's id say you're doing pretty good. dont get discouraged if you dont like your times, remember you're stock and can only go faster from there
Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

The track is near Clinton, IA - Covell, IL. Never been there but a buddy of mine is taking his 03 Cobra up there and we're just gonna shoot the track and let the cards fall where they may.

I'm a bit nervous cuz I'd also find some way of making a fool of myself - like launching down the track with my headlights up or the trunk lid up. D'oh. I'd really like to NOT be the slow guy out there but I'll also understand since I've not done any modding yet. Should get the fires lit though soon afterwards! I hope to have a fun story when I return...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

With stock tires and the stock converter, you can either brake stall it up to 1100-1200 rpm and plant your right foot after the second amber. Or not stall the 'verter at all and go off idle and count "one-one thousand" while depressing the gas pedal(Unit 213's tip) which is easier with my style of handcontrol. You should be at WOT by the time you finish saying one one-thousand. Before you launch, you should give the car enough gas (while on the brake) to tighten up the drivetrain. Drop your tires to 22-24psi in the rear and up yur fronts to 40psi. You may be around 1.9x-2.0x 60'. You'll want to "two foot" the pedals...left brake & right on the gas. I still don't have the launch down as well as I'd like with my handcontrol(accident left me paralyzed) so my 60's still suck since it's difficult to get gas and brake at the same time without tripping the beams. People with two working legs swear by the launch methods described above. If you just mash off idle you will just sit and spin, especially if the track is poorly prepped. Good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gymratt
With stock tires and the stock converter, you can either brake stall it up to 1100-1200 rpm and plant your right foot after the second amber. Or not stall the 'verter at all and go off idle and count "one-one thousand" while depressing the gas pedal(Unit 213's tip) which is easier with my style of handcontrol. You should be at WOT by the time you finish saying one one-thousand. Before you launch, you should give the car enough gas (while on the brake) to tighten up the drivetrain. Drop your tires to 22-24psi in the rear and up yur fronts to 40psi. You may be around 1.9x-2.0x 60'. You'll want to "two foot" the pedals...left brake & right on the gas. I still don't have the launch down as well as I'd like with my handcontrol(accident left me paralyzed) so my 60's still suck since it's difficult to get gas and brake at the same time without tripping the beams. People with two working legs swear by the launch methods described above. If you just mash off idle you will just sit and spin, especially if the track is poorly prepped. Good luck
Thanks!!! This is great info that I will use tomorrow! Muchas Gracias!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

One more thing..
A short checklist of things to bring like helmet, long pants, tshirt(my track wont let you race in a "wifebeater"), tire pressure gauge, videocam, etc before you leave home. If you have ASR/TC make sure you turn it off while in line. It's easy to forget especially when its your first ever run and a little nervous. Have fun and let us know how ya do.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gymratt
One more thing..
A short checklist of things to bring like helmet, long pants, tshirt(my track wont let you race in a "wifebeater"), tire pressure gauge, videocam, etc before you leave home. If you have ASR/TC make sure you turn it off while in line. It's easy to forget especially when its your first ever run and a little nervous. Have fun and let us know how ya do.
I was just about to ask about TC. Didnt know if it would rob me of power, but I didnt want to spin em at the line either.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

With stock tires I would not foot brake at all. Youll spin like crazy
Old 09-23-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

i'd much rather blow 'em off than bog it. at least you'd get a good burnout in!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just went to the track earlier this week for the first time, i wasent to impressed with the time is pulled off(see sig). but ill be going back on tue. hopefully for a 13.1 or 13.2
if i can actually hook up, i definitly agree with the others in dropping pressure in the rear tires, i didnt do that and definitly will next time around, traction was a HUGE issue with me.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Baltimore Whore

my friend has a stock ss 2000 a4 an ran a 13.4 @104
Old 09-24-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

well, my stock Z28 ran 13.4@103 with almost a dead hook(new prep and about 1800foot stall)

a few things no one mentioned, if you have never been to the strip before heres some tips:
1. Avoid the waterbox if at all possible, my track only let's you go through the waterbox, but a bigger one a little more north of me let's do water or no water
2. Do a QUICK burnout, 1-2 seconds MAX on street tires just to clean em off
3. When you stage, make sure your front tires DON'T go by the beams so fast you don't realize it and you stage at your rear tires(I did this my second time to the track, not the first) and then you will have to back up
4. If you feel uncomfortable(sp) then don't go ***** out your first run, go 1/2 throttle off the line then pick it up
5. I don't think anyone said this but LONG PANTS, you won't be able to run with shorts on and as the other member said, t-shirt, not tank-top
6. PAY ATTENTION TO THE ANNOUNCER and TRACK CREW, some tracks have a radio station so you can listen to the announcer better.

oh and with a few other people, turn TCS/ASR OFF, it will hinder your 60' times since it retards the throttle, i tried both and the one with it off pulled a slightly better time(I'll try and find the slips of the runs)

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
With stock tires I would not foot brake at all. Youll spin like crazy
when i foot stalled to 1600rpm and then did no foot stall, i still ran 13.6 all day long

Last edited by THECowboy; 09-24-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by THECowboy
well, my stock Z28 ran 13.4@103 with almost a dead hook(new prep and about 1800foot stall)

a few things no one mentioned, if you have never been to the strip before heres some tips:
1. Avoid the waterbox if at all possible, my track only let's you go through the waterbox, but a bigger one a little more north of me let's do water or no water
2. Do a QUICK burnout, 1-2 seconds MAX on street tires just to clean em off
3. When you stage, make sure your front tires go by the beams so fast you don't realize it and you stage at your rear tires(I did this my second time to the track, not the first)
4. If you feel uncomfortable(sp) then don't go ***** out your first run, go 1/2 throttle off the line then pick it up
5. I don't think anyone said this but LONG PANTS, you won't be able to run with shorts on and as the other member said, t-shirt, not tank-top
6. PAY ATTENTION TO THE ANNOUNCER and TRACK CREW, some tracks have a radio station so you can listen to the announcer better.

oh and with a few other people, turn TCS/ASR OFF, it will hinder your 60' times since it retards the throttle, i tried both and the one with it off pulled a slightly better time(I'll try and find the slips of the runs)

when i foot stalled to 1600rpm and then did no foot stall, i still ran 13.6 all day long
This is very good advice. I would add one thing though. On your first trip if you are lined up with another car wait for the light to turn green and let the other car go for a few seconds before your go. The timer doesn't start until you start moving. That will take off some of the pressure of racing another person on your first run. Good luck and don't get discouraged or embarrassed. Remember EVERYONE has been where you are now.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

No TC, lower rear tire pressure (I use 15-20 depending on how crappy the prep is), leave as soon as the last yellow even starts to light up, and use about 1100-1300 in the revs. Have a good time, red light, learn from it and keep trying! If it's just test and tune heads up, who cares it's all just for learning experience anyway. Welcome to the jungle!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Teching In

i'm going to the track for my 1st time this weekend also.
great info so far
also i'm low on fuel and was wondering if i should only put in a few gallons or fill it up before i go? if i have a full tank will the weight make enough difference to slow me down?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A gallon of gas weighs aprox 8 lbs. they say every 100 pounds adds a tenth so i would go more empty than full imo.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

i have heard, on some post that i forget, that if you are under 1/4 tank you might go lean from the fuel sloshing away from pickup. cant say for sure if thats true or complete bs...
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

go about half tank, that's a little less than 6gallons, have 5 gallons and you should be good to go, i ran 1/2 tank of 103 unleaded, but just stay with 93/94 octane, the 103 didn't do squat for me, it is more for turbo'ed cars

the 6 gallons i had got me 4 runs plus enough gas to drive me an hour home with a few pulls on the highway