New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with the bogggggging!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ASR when off should not pull timing or throttle.

A slipping clutch will flare, not bog, RPM.

When you dump the clutch you get the immediate
"bonus" of the flywheel mass but once driveline is
all coupled up there's no more of that to give, all
you get is motor output and if you want to maximize
it you will have to not dump the clutch, or drop the
clutch when your road speed is such that the
pull-down will land you at a RPM where your torque
is up on the flat-top.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
OH MY GOD, I had the same problem last night. I launched at 5000 with nitto drag radials and my car only would cut a 2.14 60'. It hooked and bogged to the point it was bucking and then it had to pick back up and go, but that killed the momentum. The best 60' I got was with it spinning some and it was only 2.01. I can not slip the clutch at all or the clutch will go up in smoke.

What I am having a hard time figuring out is why my friends 93 Cobra which is not making near the power of my car can launch the same way and cut 1.7 60' times. He has a little more gear than me but not that much.
holy crap ma ni sure hope you got a ford 9.9 inch rear end on that thing, or atleast a 12bolt
Old 10-03-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how could a sub 300 hp mustang dump with slicks and cut 1.7's while a prpbably 350hp camaro dump and only cut 2.14's?

you think its because the LS1 is a dog in the lower revs?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zam box i think you ment 9" not 9.9
full force, your trouble is pretty uncommon... the ls1 has gobs of mid-range tq
i cut 1.96 on street tires when the car was bone stock (3400 rpm clutch roll)
Old 10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Gloveperson posted this for me. Thanks everyone for your input.

Went to the track last night. Launched at 6000 rpm on 27.75 ET Streets. These are mounted on a 9 inch rim. Still bogged, but I did finally have a good 60' time - 1.8283 and I ran a 8.20. My question was if the aluminum flywheel from my Spec III stage clutch is hurting me or are the taller tires hurting me (taller because they are on 9 inch rims)? I can always go back to the steel flywheel and I am currently looking for wider rims. Didn't know it was near impossible to find 17 X 10.5 wheels for a camaro. I have 4.10 gears and I drive a 6-speed.

What does everyone think? Do I need to go back to steel flywheel? Wider rims? Or both.

I am putting 329 hp to the rear wheels with 344 torque.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full-Force
how could a sub 300 hp mustang dump with slicks and cut 1.7's while a prpbably 350hp camaro dump and only cut 2.14's?

you think its because the LS1 is a dog in the lower revs?
My husband cuts 1.7s on DRs in his Mustang Mach 1 compared to my 1.8s on ET STreets. Mustangs just have much better gearing than LS1s.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

true, i think the 1st gear in the mustang is lower than the T-56

my car doesnt feel that strong down low ... u can feel it pulling harder around 4k and up

i too think i can get 1.8 or 1.9 60' but the tires are gonna have to spin just enough to keep the rpm's up

i need them to spin, but be diggin at the same time ...... i want an automatic with a good converter so bad i can taste it!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lisaz28
Gloveperson posted this for me. Thanks everyone for your input.

Went to the track last night. Launched at 6000 rpm on 27.75 ET Streets. These are mounted on a 9 inch rim. Still bogged, but I did finally have a good 60' time - 1.8283 and I ran a 8.20. My question was if the aluminum flywheel from my Spec III stage clutch is hurting me or are the taller tires hurting me (taller because they are on 9 inch rims)? I can always go back to the steel flywheel and I am currently looking for wider rims. Didn't know it was near impossible to find 17 X 10.5 wheels for a camaro. I have 4.10 gears and I drive a 6-speed.

What does everyone think? Do I need to go back to steel flywheel? Wider rims? Or both.

I am putting 329 hp to the rear wheels with 344 torque.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
IMHO
the only reason to run 27"+ tall tires is that you are running out of gear at the traps and are having to shift into 5th.
since you are not in the 11's this is not you... go down to a 26" tire (wider never hurt but it might keep you boging)
that should help some,
but that lightweight flywheel is definatly hurting you at your power level.
the lack of rotating mass is bringing your rpms down much faster as the clutch starts to grab.
with the steel wheel, the initial imppact will be greater throwing your car foward faster so when your clutch locks out you are already in your powerband = no bogging
Old 10-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
IMHO
the only reason to run 27"+ tall tires is that you are running out of gear at the traps and are having to shift into 5th.
since you are not in the 11's this is not you... go down to a 26" tire (wider never hurt but it might keep you boging)
that should help some,
but that lightweight flywheel is definatly hurting you at your power level.
the lack of rotating mass is bringing your rpms down much faster as the clutch starts to grab.
with the steel wheel, the initial imppact will be greater throwing your car foward faster so when your clutch locks out you are already in your powerband = no bogging
You are right. The reason we went with the taller tires is because I was hitting the rev limiter at the end of the 1/8th. We have more 1/8th tracks around here than anything - so that is why we went that route. Looks like we'll be replacing the aluminum flywheel as that is the quickest and easiest solution. Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Help with the bogggggging!