Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the F-bodies where new

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When the F-bodies where new

After just buying an F-body, I'm interested in the history of my car.

Where there TV ad's for our cars? Posters? What were the 'new' prices like?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There were some TV ads, tons of magazine ads, and there are PLENTY of posters and pics for our cars. Go to Yahoo and just type in your car and look in "images" and you'll find tons. Price-wise, I researched and found the sticker price on my car was about $35K when it was brand new. It's got everything but lumbar seating and TCS (traction control).
Old 10-05-2004, 02:29 AM
FormerVendor

i have a really cool vid on my computer that was an actual ad....it was in 97 i believe...or 98 when the T/A's had those sawblade style rims...if someone will host the video you can check it out
Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out F-bodyhideout.com too. They've got an entire history section. It's pretty inderesting.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:55 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Loading
Where there TV ad's for our cars? Posters? What were the 'new' prices like?
thats what everyone else was asking seeing as how GM didnt do **** to ever advertise the damn thing.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

most of the ads came in 93 when they introduced the the 4th gen's

I was one of the first people in my state to have the all new 93 Z28. I saw ads in mags and I knew I had to have one. There were radio spots about the Z28 back in 93 talking about it having a base price of 16999. Some of the radio ads talked about how Ford called the new Camaro (plastic and steel on steroids) and GM responded, "COOL!" There were radio ads about days of summer, etc. and the new Camaro being the best way to enjoy the summer.

If Im not mistaken, there was a TV spot showing a Z28 walking away from a Mustang in 93 also.

While we are kinda on the subject in terms of not doing anuthing to promote, why do you guys think the Mustang outsold the Camaro's and Birds? Ive got my reasons why.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie4life
i have a really cool vid on my computer that was an actual ad....it was in 97 i believe...or 98 when the T/A's had those sawblade style rims...if someone will host the video you can check it out
I'll host that. PM me.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
While we are kinda on the subject in terms of not doing anuthing to promote, why do you guys think the Mustang outsold the Camaro's and Birds? Ive got my reasons why.
I think it all boiled down to cost. The F-bodies were several k more expensive. While the base models were similarly priced, the Stang came w/ the power and leather options while the Bird and camaro were cloth and elbow grease inside. GM didn't have a choise though IMO. There was just more car. It HAD to be more expensive. It a blessing more than a curse though I think. How bad would it suck to see 50 F-bodies on your drive to work every day? I know it sounds cool, but EVERY DAY? I see maybe 1 or 2. which is perfect for me. Too many Stangs on the road. I don't want a car that EVERYBODY else is driving. From the 16 year old punks to the 90 year old grandma's, it seems like everybodies got a Stang. I do think they're nice though, to be fair.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
thats what everyone else was asking seeing as how GM didnt do **** to ever advertise the damn thing.
i remember the commercial where the guy was at a redlight at night and ready to race.....but that's about it.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

There are several books about Camaros that go over the history of the car. One is called Camaro by Anthony Young (ISBN 0760307830) and the other is also called Camaro by James A. Dietzler (ISBN 1-56799-816-X). They are both good books with good photographs from over the years. Hope that's helpful info for you. There are more, but those are the only two that I own personally.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i saw an ad in an old hot rod for the new 98 ws-6 Trans Ams. "Red Meat" is all it said at the top, with a front view, ill try to find it and scan it on here
Old 10-09-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skunk50
i remember the commercial where the guy was at a redlight at night and ready to race.....but that's about it.
Yep. I have that vid and another as well.

JRP is right though. GM did not do any advertising the last years and IMO the F-Bodies were still selling pretty good. I think GM screwed up on that one. They should have kept hte mid 90's plant in Canada and kept making these things. But they definitely needed a redesign. Maybe 2007 will have a new Camaro on the Zeta?

Also, the F-Body Hideout (as previously stated) has some great vids and a history. Check out ls1.com as well.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
Exactly. Probably a large contributing factor to the F-body's demise...
Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCam99
There are several books about Camaros that go over the history of the car. One is called Camaro by Anthony Young (ISBN 0760307830) and the other is also called Camaro by James A. Dietzler (ISBN 1-56799-816-X). They are both good books with good photographs from over the years. Hope that's helpful info for you. There are more, but those are the only two that I own personally.

do those books have info/pics on the last of the 4th gens? i hae been looking for books and such on maros and birds, but none of the ones i have found have 98-02 models. i want a book with the FULL history of them, i would also like a book just about LS1 powered fbods, maybe with vettes too. any of those out there?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I too bought the 1993 Z28 back in Nov. 92.
Had to have one so bad that i traded off my 1989 IROC.
I had ordered it new with no power windows,locks. It was a hard top with the L98 and a T5 to boot. "Awesome car"!

I totaled the 93 and bought a new 95 & traded it for my current 2000 Z28 w/ all options and it went for $28K new.
think i paid $26.

Great cars IMO!!
Old 10-09-2004, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
do those books have info/pics on the last of the 4th gens? i hae been looking for books and such on maros and birds, but none of the ones i have found have 98-02 models. i want a book with the FULL history of them, i would also like a book just about LS1 powered fbods, maybe with vettes too. any of those out there?
The one by Dietzler goes to 1998 and the one by Young goes to 2000. They both have tons of color photographs of all the generations throughout the years. I found the books to be pretty interesting in regards to the history. The book by Young is probably the best of the two.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
... It a blessing more than a curse though I think. How bad would it suck to see 50 F-bodies on your drive to work every day? I know it sounds cool, but EVERY DAY? I see maybe 1 or 2. which is perfect for me. Too many Stangs on the road....
I agree. With it's low sales and ultimate demise, our cars have become a fairly rare site- at least where I am (and especially compared to Mustangs). It was sad to see them go but I'm glad I'm not driving a car that everyone else drives. Mustangs may be ok cars but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCam99
The one by Dietzler goes to 1998 and the one by Young goes to 2000. They both have tons of color photographs of all the generations throughout the years. I found the books to be pretty interesting in regards to the history. The book by Young is probably the best of the two.
i think i will check those out.

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
Mustangs may be ok cars but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

thats hilarious! me and a buddy took a trip to TSP a little while back, and they had that problem in lubbock with camaros. i swear there were 5 on every street we went on. we cruised around up there for a while, taking in the sights, and it was all camaros. granted alot of them were V6, but i have never seen so many SS's in my life. Z's too. it would be very hard to make your car stand out there.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

If I remember correctly, I remember seeing three different commercial ads for the 98 TA. I personally thought they were cool too.

Also, down where i live, theres maybe 20 total new f-bodies(8 cylinders) on the road. And in a city with 150k people, thats not very much. I Love being one of the only TAs down here. Every time I turn my head I see a mustang. It gets old after a while.