New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can i tell if my clutch is going out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i tell if my clutch is going out?

I have a 02 Camaro SS with about 23k miles that i beat on pretty often. I also use n2o every so often. How could i tell if the clutch is going out?

Right now it feels like a dog when i floor it because the RPM's stay the same for a few seconds then it start to climb, but the rpms climb so damn slow. Not like before. Is this because the clutch is going bad? If so, how much time before it just dies out completly?

Example. When i floor it the car just sits there and the rpms dont move at all nor does the car start to speed up. Its like it hangs for a few seconds and then the rpms start to climb and the car start to move. same thing goes for 2nd and 3rd gear. BUT the car feels SLOWER. It feels like in 2nd and 3rd gear when the rpms are climbing the car just doesnt feel like its pulling hard like it once did. I do have n2o on the car and have read that nitrous is bad for the clutch. Also, the clutch disenguages in a different location then it used to and after driving it around awhile in the city the clutch feels like it barly wants to work.

If i do a WOT run it almost feels like i have no clutch. The pedal doesnt stick it actually feels like the clutch pedal kicks itself back out pretty quick. i dunno if this is making much sense, but im trying my best to descibe what it feels like.

I read somewhere about clogged cats? I do have a Zed style cutout installed and run it open all the time. Ive had it open since the first day i got it and ive had it for 3 maybe 4 months now. Could this clog up cats?

Also, if its the clutchs problem can i get some Recommendations on a nice cheap clutch that feel just as soft as the stock one? Do the Spec Stage 3 clutchs still have the chatter problems? Also, do i need a Spec Stage 3 clutch or will a Stage 2 be fine?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if the clutch is slipping the rpms will not stay the same under any circumstances
Old 10-06-2004, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing that you described sound like a bad clutch.
when you clutch dies, you rpms will go up fast but you car will not move any faster...
it will smell bad too...
Old 10-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Launching!

So then what could it be?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Launching!

anyone
Old 10-07-2004, 03:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car is the EXACT same way, i had a cat go out on me a month or so ago.
when i run it real hard the pedal seems to loose pressure and when i shift it feels like it doesent engage right away and kind of hangs for a moment.
i also feel my car might not be performing like it used to. on another note. sometimes ill be running it real hard, say 2 - 3 - 4 and then come to a stop and smoke will be comming from the bottom of my car ???? no i dont have any leaks that could cause this, i check regularly. def not tire. could it be my clutch??
Old 10-07-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the clutch to me. Mine is going, doesn't hold like it used to at any speed, and the rpm's don't have to shoot up for your clutch to be bad. If your car stinks like clutch then guess what, you may need one. If your clutch doesn't have the ample amount of holding power then it will slip, not accelerate, and bog when you are trying to get on it. Get a new clutch and you'll b fine
Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

You may also want to look into doing the clutch mod, the more fluid getting to where it needs is always a good thing. Oh, and stop getting into it so damn much. My stock clutch lasted about 82K before I lost all pressure and limped it home in 1st gear.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

i wanna hear more people on this one. Most people really don't seem to know if their clutch is bad up until either complete clutch failure, smelling, etc. We caught mine acting up wayyyyyy before it started doing anything major. C'mon people, share your stories!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

I knew mine was going out, I was just still in the selling stage to my wife on why I needed a SPEC. I have checked a friend of mine's clutch in her Z and sure enough, her's too is going out. She on the other hand drives the crap out of her's and is always getting deep into it. I told her to lay off a bit until she is ready for the SPEC and slave swap. It's been OK for her since for the most part.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

First: Clutch check -- 60-70mph in 5 gear, then floor it. If the tach jumps up more than 100-200 rpms clutch went bye bye.

If you're saying that 30mph in second or first gear from a stop, stompin on the gas does not produce any kick then it ain't the clutch. You got other problems.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

other problems like what? Mine doesn't rev up fast but the throwout bearing is bad and the clutch doesn't hold like it did. This was after a few hard passes on the street and the clutch stank! I've heard of people being able to drive the car normally but with not being able to get on it because the car just doesn't go. My car was perfect before i made llike 3 consecutive pases on the street, got home car smelled, never been the same.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

You have to be able to tell the difference between lack of power and drivetrain slippage. If the rpms go up but you can't feel it, then it's the clutch.
A good example is when the clutch starts getting really bad, you'll hit the gas and it'll slip so bad it'll feel like you're on ice.
But when it just plain bogs or feels sluggish, that's not the clutch.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

say my clutch is "damned." could this also cause my entire driveline to feel like it has slack in it??? like engaging gears and there be a slight knock? couldnt be my trans mount, feels like driveshaft moving back and forth.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Check the trans mount first.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Okay, Im officially lost. Which one could it be? Clogged cats or clutch? or something else? From what i described in my first post. Because my clutch doesnt shoot the rpms way up and not go anywhere. The RPMs stay the same for a few seconds and the car feels like its bogging. The car is not going any faster during all this. Then a few seconds of bog and the car starts to move alittle faster and the rpms start to climb. When i shift into 2nd and 3rd, the car feels like it has go though. If im in 1st gear or 2nd gear going 30mph and i floor it it will put me in the seat, but no where near like it used to. Same with 3rd gear. It doesnt really pull hard till 4.5k+ RPMS.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

You're down on power. I would start with maintenance. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter, air filter? After that, try some injection cleaner. Start with some of the little things. Check your plugs...N20
Old 10-07-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroguy
Okay, Im officially lost. Which one could it be? Clogged cats or clutch? or something else? From what i described in my first post. Because my clutch doesnt shoot the rpms way up and not go anywhere. The RPMs stay the same for a few seconds and the car feels like its bogging. The car is not going any faster during all this. Then a few seconds of bog and the car starts to move alittle faster and the rpms start to climb. When i shift into 2nd and 3rd, the car feels like it has go though. If im in 1st gear or 2nd gear going 30mph and i floor it it will put me in the seat, but no where near like it used to. Same with 3rd gear. It doesnt really pull hard till 4.5k+ RPMS.
def do general maintnance first, maybe plugs&wires, how many miles does your car have on it?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black00TA
def do general maintnance first, maybe plugs&wires, how many miles does your car have on it?
I'm just about to hit 24k miles soon.

I changed the oil @ 22k miles along with the filter. I just changed the fuel filter @ 19k miles. Got new tires. I havent checked the plugs for about 7k miles now since i got the TR6s. But i have no SES lights on so i figured nothing wrong with them since those are the first things to always throw the code
Old 10-07-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

well dude if you saying that you get on it and the car doesn't move much like you get a lag in acceleration, you got one of 2 problems. Problem one if the engine stutters, or sound f-up i say you got engine probs, if not and the car just lags i say is about time for a new tranny. of course i could always be talking out of my *** here so consult a professional. lol just kidding check those two out. and take it from there.

to check the tranny simply empty the fluids and if they smell like somthing died in there then you need a new tranny. the engine is a alittle more complicated so check the tranny fluid first.

if somone already posted something like this then sorry for the repost.

Quick Reply: How can i tell if my clutch is going out?