New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Its Final

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive got a soft spot for them. ive got a 2002 CC r/t that i bought about a year and a half ago. i paid for half of it, and gave it to my dad to finish paying it off so i could buy my Z. they are great looking trucks. done any performance to it? i put 2 1/2 inch true duals with no cat, an FIPK II, and soon to have gibson headers.
Old 10-25-2004 | 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Well bought it in 2003, kid had owned it before, its got a superchip (race) in it, Airraid CAI with that super K&N (500 hp gain!!!) with some exhaust dumped underneath the bed (Have no idea what brand) The GTX is another story but I am hijacking this guys thread. Look for some of my old post, I have a List of everything on the GTX listed
Old 10-25-2004 | 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Well bought it in 2003, kid had owned it before, its got a superchip (race) in it, Airraid CAI with that super K&N (500 hp gain!!!) with some exhaust dumped underneath the bed (Have no idea what brand) The GTX is another story but I am hijacking this guys thread. Look for some of my old post, I have a List of everything on the GTX listed
i will check it out!
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the comments guys..what i mean is i have a daily driver payed for...i just think instaed fo paying a car off..and looking at it everyday no changes for the next 3 years it'd be funner...to be getting some parts in the mail..and gradually peacing together my own custom muscle car...i mean id rather...Gradually build a car in a 4 year amount of time..than gradually pay off a car..in a 4 year amount of time u see what i mean...i got sick of having no money to do ne thing to the car..and this way..**** will happen
Old 10-26-2004 | 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, you.... have to...... stop posting......... in chunks

That one guy is right, you can build a musclecar for WAY less than 50K. The guys that are spendin' that much money are having someone else do the work, and are just blowin' money on parts. Take the interior for example: they are all like some foreign leather than was hand crafted out of elephant butt or something, making it ungodly pricey. Thats the problem with the Hotrodding industry, you get all these Fat Cat, rich wannabees building these cars, which may look cool Blah Blah Blah, but it deters people from hotrodding. Hotrodding started with kids taking fenders and hoods off cars, throwing in the best engine they could scrape up, and tearin' it up!! Not by spendin big $$$

Take me for example, I am going to college, working, paying for my TA, AND restoring my Chevelle. It currently needs paint desperately, and I need fenders, What am I going to do? not buy the $500 GM originals, or the $300 repo. I am going to buy the $150 a piece fiberglass fenders, TADA!! now I have some left over money to go to paint. I also had this car as a daily driver for a couple of years, and I did what you want to do, slowly haggled and scrounged for parts, searched through all the classifieds(brand new grill $50), stomped the salvage yards for a mint bumper($50)
Talk to the 'old school' guys, they'll tell you the same thing. And don't let anyone tell you it takes 50K to build a car Pick up a issue of Car Craft, you'll see.

I say HELL YA that your looking for a musclecar!! Have you thought about findin' a 32 ford or t-bucket? You can put them together cheaply as well, but it is harder to find parts cheaply than a musclecar, but they look cool as hell. Damn, nevermind thats what I want!! A fenderless, hoodless, chop top, 32 F***, flat black, 4-speed, small block, no exhaust...... ARG ARG ARG!!!! (tool man grunt)
Ok, thats enough for now.
Old 10-27-2004 | 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
thanks for the comments guys..what i mean is i have a daily driver payed for...i just think instaed fo paying a car off..and looking at it everyday no changes for the next 3 years it'd be funner...to be getting some parts in the mail..and gradually peacing together my own custom muscle car...i mean id rather...Gradually build a car in a 4 year amount of time..than gradually pay off a car..in a 4 year amount of time u see what i mean...i got sick of having no money to do ne thing to the car..and this way..**** will happen
seeing that you have a daily driver already paid for, i would definately be for building a hot rod. having something off to the side to patiently work on is alot easier than having a work in progress to build and maintain at the same time. i tried that with my 72 chevy swb and got really tired of it. having to work on something everyday just so it will take you to point b really sucks. i ended up with a pretty nice truck but was so tired of it i sold it!
Old 10-27-2004 | 08:49 AM

There's just something about the '69 model year that
appeals to me. I can't put my finger on it....

A '67-'69 Firebird, Camaro or '68-'72 A-body convertible
would have enough room in the bay for any motor you
want, have nice lines, and be worth the resto. Though
having tried and failed to restore a Skylark I tell you to
just forget the idea of fixing a rust bomb if you live in
a wet climate.

Great parts availability especially if you stick to Chebbies.
Buick parts are more expensive, Pontiac and Olds in the
middle.

Don't forget the El Caminos if you like a hot rod truck.
The styling was pretty nice up through '72.

Any of these would take an 8.1/4L80E combo without
any sledgehammer required. Oh, yeah.