Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SLP grill

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing SLP grill

Does anyone have a write up or PICTURES of the process? I believe the bumper has to come off. I do great with pictures, written insturctions and me dont mix. Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

There are 3 nuts on the back of the bumper. Because of the foam I dont think you will be able to get to it with out removing the bumper. I just removed mine to get it painted and it was easy. Just find all the bolts
Old 10-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would recommend removing the bumper supports, and installing the grille at the same time
Old 10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

If its an everyday driver I dont know that I would remove the bumper support. When I wrecked it kept my front end from getting a lot more damage than it would have. Or just dont wreck But imo its the gain vs risk ratio isnt worth it.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front bumper doesn't have to come off. We pull the stock grill off my friend's car by just pulling. The clips that hold the grill aren't that strong. This method was recomend to us by some people on the old SLP board back in the day. If you would rather, there are some push tabs under the front bumper that you can remove, then reach in and try to cut the tabs.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your bumper has been repainted I wouldnt recomend just pulling the original grill out by force. the flex and stress is likely to cause your paint to crack. If you have the original paint it is much more forgiving and will not crack from the stress.

Also, I wouldnt recomend removing the energy absorber/bumper support for any car. In time your bumper will drop or sag, if anyone leans on it or bumps it the paint could crack from the flex. Most important, not to mention your personal safety is the extra impact the unitized frame rails will have to absorb if your in a collision. As stated above the slightest impact without the absorber will do double the damage to your car.

The weight advantage is slim, in my oppinion its not worth the extra risk.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
If your bumper has been repainted I wouldnt recomend just pulling the original grill out by force. the flex and stress is likely to cause your paint to crack. If you have the original paint it is much more forgiving and will not crack from the stress.

Also, I wouldnt recomend removing the energy absorber/bumper support for any car. In time your bumper will drop or sag, if anyone leans on it or bumps it the paint could crack from the flex. Most important, not to mention your personal safety is the extra impact the unitized frame rails will have to absorb if your in a collision. As stated above the slightest impact without the absorber will do double the damage to your car.

The weight advantage is slim, in my oppinion its not worth the extra risk.
the bumper supports do not do as much as you said...if it is not a daily driver, he will be fine...i had mine out when i daily drove mine, no problems with sagging, front nor rear...i'm sorry, but have you ever seen the bumper supports after you take them off...those little pieces of foam and plastic are not going to do much in an accident over 15mph
Old 10-30-2004, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Actually I wrecked at like 50 and all it did was messed up my bumper and crack the hell out of the foam. When I remoeved the bumper I could have used the foam for packaging but everything else was fine. There are pics on here somewhere. It probably wouldnt sag tho. Sweet cheeks is a girl righ?
Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long story short. The best way to go about it is to take the bumper off. It will make it a hell of a lot easier to install the grill and you won't have to worry about cracking your front bumper. I tried to pull mine off but it really looked shakey. So, I just spent the extra time to take the bumper off instead of risking ******* up the paint. FYI though, you gotta pull extremely hard to get that front grill off.... it's not very user friendly.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdblackz28
the bumper supports do not do as much as you said...if it is not a daily driver, he will be fine...i had mine out when i daily drove mine, no problems with sagging, front nor rear...i'm sorry, but have you ever seen the bumper supports after you take them off...those little pieces of foam and plastic are not going to do much in an accident over 15mph

First of all it is one support, weather or not it is a daily driver has nothing to do with anything. It wont sag overnight, however it will over time. And yes I have seen the bumper support, there are no little peices of foam and plastic like you stated, just one large peice.

I am a body tech and shop foreman for the largest bodyshop in the state.
I have restored/rebuilt/repaired/owned just about every F body that has been built.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Sweet cheeks is a girl righ?
Not today my good man, Screen name was a dare by some buddies and I just have not changed it, but most people do think I am a girl and I am not gay, because my g/f says so.

Quick Reply: Installing SLP grill