New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the LS1 / LT1 hard to work on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LS1 / LT1 hard to work on?

I ask this because I hear a lot of guy say this phrase to me: "Have you ever had to change the spark plugs in those things?" or "It is such a tightly packed space in there." etc, etc.

I noticed a lot of people have heavily modified LT/LS1s in here and was wondering if it is indeed hard to mod your car.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are not easy but not that hard once you get a technique.

Changing plugs can take all day or take an hour depending on how you do it.

The good news is that you are on the most knowledgable LS1 site on the net.

just make sure to use the search before asking a tech question
Old 11-07-2004, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

for us LS1's NO...yeha the motors are big and there isnt the MOST space mainly because of wiring and all the necesitie's but overall its fairly easy...now LT1's on the other hand :no: they have the notorious OPTISPARK that is the biggest PITA i've ever seen/heard of in my entire life of cars. LS1's fairly easy/LT1's not so easy

these are muscle cars none the less both are great and both can be well modified without much problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well dude the ls1 is packed pretty tight in the f bod. it's so tight that i actually had my distick tube loose for the last month casue to get the tube close enough to the block to bolt it on i have to take out the headers, bolt the sucker on then put the headers back on. So to answer your question at first it's gona take you hours to change the sparkplugs and simple **** like that, but once you get the hang of it you'll stop making stuped time consuming mistakes.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
They are not easy but not that hard once you get a technique.

Changing plugs can take all day or take an hour depending on how you do it.

The good news is that you are on the most knowledgable LS1 site on the net.

just make sure to use the search before asking a tech question

dont mean to hijack the thread either but do you^ full force have pics of your B&M Ripper or some interior pics directed toward your consel? how do you like it? please post up in my thread "Don't mean to start a war" in the manual transmission section and "Any1 got shifter pics" in the appearance/detailing section

thanks
adam
Old 11-07-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
dont mean to hijack the thread either but do you^ full force have pics of your B&M Ripper or some interior pics directed toward your consel? how do you like it? please post up in my thread "Don't mean to start a war" in the manual transmission section and "Any1 got shifter pics" in the appearance/detailing section

thanks
adam
lol o yea this should be good to watch just let me go get some popcorn.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zamboxl
lol o yea this should be good to watch just let me go get some popcorn.
and what the hell is that supposeda mean i just asked him to go check out im not REALLY hijacking the whole thread this guy came to ask questions, let him ask away. Atleast voiced my opinion/take on it. Most people would have ignored my post, you on the other hand had to say something about it even tho it was a question directed to one person and one person only. if a moderator really would want to delete it then let them delete it. simple questioin just wanted to get a quick answer or direct him over to check it out for my benefit im sure youve done it atleast once before so don't even start that kinda sh*t.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Uhh.. why the arguing? Maybe I'm missing something here..

I'll look into the OPTISPARK issue, because I may consider saving for an LT1...

What about serious work on the car.. Such as camming it or replacing the intake?

I am amazed at how they even got the engine in the F-Body because it looks like it is tucked in there!

Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

if im not mistaking the best way to cam ANY CAR..the best and most efficient is to pull the motor...if im not mistaken it can be done without pulling it completely. replacing the intake isnt all that hard from what ive heard theres guys doing it every day oin this board and doenst seem to make a big mess. lots of stuff to make sure is connected thats really it. Technology is porbably the biggest difficult thing that hasta do with either one of these motors. Lot's of wire's and lot's of efficient ways to do things. Either way you will be happy. its not so bad ocne you do it believe it or not (PS nothing will EVER be as easy as working on the old 350's and such form the 60's/70's THEY HAD SO MUCH SPACE YOU COULD FIT A BODY IN THERE) lol dont even hesitate to get either or.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I understand what you are saying, thanks a bunch.

John
Old 11-08-2004, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I did a cam swap in my LT1 and it wasn't very hard-did not pull the motor. Changing spark plugs is a big PITA though. Most things are easier in the LS1 it seems than the LT1 but I haven't modified my LS1 as much.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Yes, you can swap an LS1 cam in less than a day w/o pulling the engine.

And, yes, there is limited room under the hood in which to work.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
and what the hell is that supposeda mean i just asked him to go check out im not REALLY hijacking the whole thread this guy came to ask questions, let him ask away. Atleast voiced my opinion/take on it. Most people would have ignored my post, you on the other hand had to say something about it even tho it was a question directed to one person and one person only. if a moderator really would want to delete it then let them delete it. simple questioin just wanted to get a quick answer or direct him over to check it out for my benefit im sure youve done it atleast once before so don't even start that kinda sh*t.
dude chill if i was starting **** i would have flamed you or something but noticed how i put lol and was basically just messing around so chill out dude. i wasn't starting anything, just that past expirience on this board has taught me that someone always looses their cool over stuff liek that and have to be asses, and what do you know i was wright. my intention wasn't to **** people off i was just messing around ok so chill man it's not like i shot your dog or something here
Old 11-08-2004, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

ive learned on the LS1 that if your gonna change sparkplugs....you might as well put headers on too, and hell, throw a cam in while your at it......maybe some heads if the funds permit

the car is built around the engine....but once you get in the mindset of workin on the engine, its really simple and easy...and anyone can do it
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the ls1 isnt a very hard engine to work on overall. yes somethings can be a pain, but once you know how to do it and have the right tools and techniques **** is easy
Old 11-09-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
the ls1 isnt a very hard engine to work on overall. yes somethings can be a pain, but once you know how to do it and have the right tools and techniques **** is easy
Old 11-09-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I own both, and they both have their pros and cons. The LS1 definitely takes me the longest for spark plugs. I agree with JRP after the first time you do it, the next time is way faster. Yes gotta have good tools... I can't even count all the tools my dad and I share. It seems we never have enough. But they always come in handy. Cut sockets, small wrenches, stubby wrenches, ratchet wrenches, telescopic magnet yada yada...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

The LS1 in my opinion is a lot easier to work on the engine than my old car...

Here's my old engine bay...

1994 Thunderbird SC

well save for the front belt drive and stuff

Quick Reply: Is the LS1 / LT1 hard to work on?