Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have answers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have answers?

How hard is it to install a trany cooler? Were should i mount it? I just payed 530 for some Edelbrock shorty headers, do you guys think its even worth the money i just spent on those things? And how hard is it gonna be to install them in a 1999 ws6 trans am? On a automatic WS6 will my gas milage suffer alot when i install a 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears? ok one more question! I bought the predator-Does anyone have any suggestions how much i should up the fuel curve, haveing just my basic mods like Borla, lid, maf?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I can help on the headers, as I have some Pacesetter LT's. I haven't heard much about Edelbrock headers, but I'm 100% sure they're going to be a pain in the *** to install, as are any other kind of headers on these cars. Good luck, and have a whole day to do it in.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6RAGE
How hard is it to install a trany cooler? Were should i mount it?
-on or near your radiator is where i've always seen em

I just payed 530 for some Edelbrock shorty headers, do you guys think its even worth the money i just spent on those things?
-you have emmisions? can you get away with longtubes? if you can't, you gotta do what you gotta do

And how hard is it gonna be to install them in a 1999 ws6 trans am?
-PITA but it has been done many times before

On a automatic WS6 will my gas milage suffer alot when i install a 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears?
-not much

ok one more question! I bought the predator-Does anyone have any suggestions how much i should up the fuel curve, haveing just my basic mods like Borla, lid, maf?
-no clue on this one
look through the quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:21 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just wasted money on those headers. Sell them to someone else who hasn't done any research yet and then come back and ask what you should do with the money you've got.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
You just wasted money on those headers. Sell them to someone else who hasn't done any research yet and then come back and ask what you should do with the money you've got.

He's right.
Not only do shorties suck but you can get decent longtubes for that price. Is there any reason you can't do longtubes? If you have to pass emissions do you know what kind of testing they use?
Old 12-20-2004, 01:59 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I did notice your from Castro Valley - though I have no clue where that is, I'll just assume it's in California. I'd understand why you need the shorties then. I think that MAC midlengths are emissions compliant, though not as good as long tubes, are better than the shorties.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

I did notice your from Castro Valley - though I have no clue where that is, I'll just assume it's in California. I'd understand why you need the shorties then. I think that MAC midlengths are emissions compliant, though not as good as long tubes, are better than the shorties.

Mac headers...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Macs are NOT emission compliant. They still move the cats further downstream.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:19 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Macs are NOT emission compliant. They still move the cats further downstream.
shhh... you're from Indiana... you don't even have inspections!

(at least you didnt 2-3 years ago when I was out there. I saw some big time POS vehicles driving around).

Anyway, you could have still saved some money if you needed to get those shorty headers. If you can still return them, PM me as I know someone selling a set he had on his car - you could get them pretty cheap.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

(at least you didnt 2-3 years ago when I was out there. I saw some big time POS vehicles driving around).

Anyway, you could have still saved some money if you needed to get those shorty headers. If you can still return them, PM me as I know someone selling a set he had on his car - you could get them pretty cheap.
Whether or not I have inspections has nothing to do with what I know about passing.

And yes, I DO have inspections. There are 3-4 counties that still do them and I am registered in one of them. I passed with LT's, no cats, no AIR, no EGR, with dumped duals.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

530 for shorties? i got hooker lts from jegs for 418. now, being the great thinker i am...i would think shorties would be cheaper...being shorties and all. as for emissions, i live in va, but thankfully im registered in fl...where i saw a lady drive by me today w/ no bumpers (front/rear), no hood, and it sounded like no exhaust either. man i love this place.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by john3daly
I can help on the headers, as I have some Pacesetter LT's. I haven't heard much about Edelbrock headers, but I'm 100% sure they're going to be a pain in the *** to install, as are any other kind of headers on these cars. Good luck, and have a whole day to do it in.
Thanks pro! I cant wait
Old 12-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Launching!

YEs california Smog man!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
530 for shorties? i got hooker lts from jegs for 418. now, being the great thinker i am...i would think shorties would be cheaper...being shorties and all. as for emissions, i live in va, but thankfully im registered in fl...where i saw a lady drive by me today w/ no bumpers (front/rear), no hood, and it sounded like no exhaust either. man i love this place.
HAhaha thats funny...maybe she got it stollen! Anyways the headers were actually $4.79 but i had to pay shipping and all that crap.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Well i have no idea what PM means but cheaper is always better but they have to be 50 state legal and that includes California! damn smog laws
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Whether or not I have inspections has nothing to do with what I know about passing.

And yes, I DO have inspections. There are 3-4 counties that still do them and I am registered in one of them. I passed with LT's, no cats, no AIR, no EGR, with dumped duals.
damn those are some real relax inspections you got up there.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Well i have no idea what PM means but cheaper is always better but they have to be 50 state legal and that includes California! damn smog laws
PM - private message. You can do it in your control panel.

As far as relaxed inspections... it's more about who you know. We have visual emissions inspection here... but I don't worry too much
Old 12-22-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

ok since no one has really addressed the issue i will go ahead and do it. installing the tranny cooler is quite easy and i installed mine on the passenger side of the radiator. it took me prolly about an hr in all. as far as the the rear end. i dont think you will lose too much gas mileage. oh dont worry i have shorties on my car and i really dont care they are there.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevensLS1
ok since no one has really addressed the issue i will go ahead and do it. installing the tranny cooler is quite easy and i installed mine on the passenger side of the radiator. it took me prolly about an hr in all. as far as the the rear end. i dont think you will lose too much gas mileage. oh dont worry i have shorties on my car and i really dont care they are there.
I see you pretty much have the same set up im looking for...Question: did that 80mm throttle body work good? i mean was it worth? So all i need to complete mine is that ls6 intake and maybe the 78-90mm throttle body if its worth it-almost forgot the 3.42 gears are still on the list. Let me know thanks

p.s How hard was it to port that throttle body i rather do it that way then buy one, did you get a kit or something?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I see you pretty much have the same set up im looking for...Question: did that 80mm throttle body work good? i mean was it worth? So all i need to complete mine is that ls6 intake and maybe the 78-90mm throttle body if its worth it-almost forgot the 3.42 gears are still on the list. Let me know thanks

p.s How hard was it to port that throttle body i rather do it that way then buy one, did you get a kit or something?
yes the throttle body works quite well i acutally had my stock throttle body ported by the guys at MTI. yeah if u have a ls1 intake id definately get an ls6 intake cuz they flow better and i think the 78mm t.b would be just fine. ive heard and read on here that the 3.42s are like the best gear for auto cars. yeah i looked at already ported throttle body's and i wasnt about to pay that much. any other questions just pm and ill see what i can do.