New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004 | 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats nice!

But to counter that STS makes a remote mount turbo system for about 4K. With a near stock LS1 SS(just had exhaust) it made 500RWHP on 7psi of boost.
True but from Dodge it is pre-tuned. No screwing with the PCM, boost level, A/F, etc...
Old 12-26-2004 | 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Debian Dog
True but from Dodge it is pre-tuned. No screwing with the PCM, boost level, A/F, etc...
True......just bolt-on and go........
Old 12-26-2004 | 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red53gmc
Ummm....Let's see....GM added plenty to make the SS...
Take away what GM added to make the SS and you have a V6 Camaro...
Take away the turbo from the SRT-4 and you have a Neon....

Me personally, go for a MINI Cooper S and...you'll get way more looks and can still run with a Hemi...twincharge the S and run in the 12's.
yea gm added to make an SS, an SS, which is a Z-28 with an ramair, exhaust, and rims, a Z is just as fast as a SS, an SS is all engine, so is a neon, lets drop a turbo in an SS, lets see who takes who? look i like cars period. a supra, a hemi, but an SS is as good as it gets. my opinion.
Old 12-27-2004 | 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

too many horror stories of SRTs blowing there heads, ill stick with my LS1, and someone said they were debated between the two and gas mileage was an issure, just get a 10-speed bike....near cargo room, just rope a radio flyer wagon to the back
Old 12-27-2004 | 09:09 AM
Teching In

No NEON runs 13's stock. They would have to have heavy mods. It's a nice family car. My buddy has one for his wofe and kids. People who second guess a purchase of an F-body are the reason why they aren't made anymore. If you want a NEON more or in this case less power to you. I've driven both a NEON SRT-4 and a camaro. The Neon just felt like it was missing something. We all like different cars like we like different women. I would buy an F-body over any other car out there. Cheaps mods and good times.
Old 12-27-2004 | 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lastofthefast
No NEON runs 13's stock. They would have to have heavy mods. It's a nice family car. My buddy has one for his wofe and kids. People who second guess a purchase of an F-body are the reason why they aren't made anymore. If you want a NEON more or in this case less power to you. I've driven both a NEON SRT-4 and a camaro. The Neon just felt like it was missing something. We all like different cars like we like different women. I would buy an F-body over any other car out there. Cheaps mods and good times.
REALLY!!!!..

Guess I should check what kind of car I bought to the track then because with 100 miles on the OD (DEAD STOCK) and my 3rd run I ran 14.0 @ 99. If the track was open a bit longer I am sure I could have pulled a 13.9
Old 12-27-2004 | 10:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah really.
Old 12-27-2004 | 10:44 AM
Teching In

I thought you had an F-body not a NEON.
Old 12-27-2004 | 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Do F-bodys have the same suspension setup as Corvette? I'm a huge fan of the C5 and I was curious to see if Camaros have leaf springs in the back as well.

ehhh... we all know he wants a neon, its no use trying to talk him outta it. BTW when my 01 ss m6 was all stock i got a little over 31 mpg going from Auburn ca to SanFrancisco .... And no camaros dont have the same suspension setup as the Corvette C5. and the last time the camaro used a leafspring was in 1981 and never had independant suspension.

Last edited by red_pacu1; 12-27-2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 12-27-2004 | 11:33 AM
Teching In

No they don't have leaf springs. The corvette has an independent rear axle also the camaro's is a solid axle. Still handle very well though.
Old 12-27-2004 | 12:06 PM
Teching In

I once had an Omni GLH with some minor mopar goodies... loved that lil car lots of fun. I also had 2 L98 Formulas, with most of the basic mods. Later I bought a Talon TSi that went 14.3 with only a K&N, Played witha a 5.0 a bit then got the Scooby and swapped the WRX motor in.

The lil 4 banger are fun!!! I love them, with enough cash my Subaru could eat LS1's.. With enough money and the AWD advantage. But in the eng if you have any Testosterone you will grave that deep feel it in your gut rumble of a V8.
Heck what do you think all the lil 4 banger guys use as a bench mark... THE V8's

Look at the best sports cars in the world... NOT FWD M3, 911, 360, Vette, NON are FWD... for a reason.

The SRT-4 is a great car, I would love to have one... NEXT to my SS
Old 12-27-2004 | 12:39 PM
Teching In

i know im gonna get flamed for this, but i have owned a 98 c5 and now have the srt-4. i put sway bars, and coilovers on the srt-4 along with a few power mods, an it handles close, i said close, to what the vette would (let the flaming begin). im also running 12.80's with the srt-4 with the few mods i put on (boost is your friend). cant outlaunch (1.9 60' at best right now), but i can slightly pull on ss and c5's (intake and headers-back) till about 140 mph (flame some more), plus the gas mileage is great.

so to answer your question, you say you are looking for a good mileage daily driver, i would say get the srt-4. it is just fun to drive. its not a drag car like the camaro's are, but its like a go-kart after you add sway bars and coilovers. plus the stock block and interrnals are handling 500 hp and 30 pounds of boost on a number of cars. im not saying id take it over my vette, but it is a lot of fun to drive.
Old 12-27-2004 | 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by byrontaylor
5-If you keep the cars for say 10-15 years, which one will be worth more...uhhh let's see... about 8,000 ss's a year (to the best of my knowledge) came out 2000, 2001, 2002, I'm sure someone can tell you the exact numbers, but the ss is a very limited production and look at what they are going for on here.
98- 2,875
99- 4,837
00- 8,913
01- 6,332
02- 11,191

total of 34,148, averaged 6,830 a year.
Old 12-27-2004 | 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by seefive
i know im gonna get flamed for this, but i have owned a 98 c5 and now have the srt-4.

I'm not saying id take it over my vette, but it is a lot of fun to drive.
Damn skippy... this is LS1 county boy. Don't be talking any o' that crazy *** ricer 4 banger crap in here! You will be pummeled!

That's all I am saying... If you never want to have a 10 second car and like the go-cart feeling... then get the SRT-4

If you want to drag... From a stop like the V-8 rumble, and have a need for domestic "respect" get an LS1.

Also for the "blowing the motor" comment. I know of ONE guy that did it TWICE because he is an idiot with too much $$$. Running 41 #'s of boost, on a stock motor, is just plain stuipid! It held together for... a little while.... BOTH times

Also limited production numbers:
03 - 3300
04 - 13,000'ish Numbers not all in yet
05 - ??? and it will be the LAST YEAR for them, as they are going to another 4-banger turbo model.
Old 12-27-2004 | 02:20 PM
Teching In

Blowing Motors? Noone runs 13's stock? Can I get a link to where you found this out? WTF dude back up you comments. I still love the macho I can **** farther then you atmosphere in here where its more chill and non bias in the SRT thread on this topic.
Old 12-27-2004 | 02:43 PM
Teching In

HUH? Well anyways just pick what you want to drive man. Everyone has an "opinion", but it comes down to you and what you want to drive. Some prefer V8 muscle cars and other like to fix up 4 bangers and 6 cylinders. It's all in preference. Still weird though.
Old 12-29-2004 | 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

the whole blowing motors thing i said was from stories ive heard, ive got no proof, and if it is true i bet is was because someone turned the boost up way too high, someone else told me that the srt4 was supposed to come out around the same time as the evo and sti, but because of head design problems, it came out later, once again, a story ive heard
personally, get what you want, you'll be the one driving it, i love my LS1 and wouldnt have it any other way
Old 12-29-2004 | 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I don't see why so many of you guys cap on the SRT-4. I give Dodge props for making a fast 4 door compact with a turbo. For a daily driver, I would choose the SRT-4 over my SS. Don't get me wrong, I love my SS, and truth be told, a 92 Geo Metro is my daily driver. The SS is just a big car and isn't that versitile.
I personally like the looks of the SRT-4, it's not in SS territory, but it's pretty cool. The fact that it's a 4 door really adds versatility.

Bottom line: For a daily driver I'd pick the Neon SRT-4. For a weekend car, the Camaro Z28 or SS.

Just remember, there will always be somebody saying you drive a neon, no matter how much you say it's an SRT-4.
Old 12-29-2004 | 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

does the srt-4 have any piston-slap?how much oil do you burn through between oil changes
Old 12-29-2004 | 01:20 PM
Teching In

"Just remember, there will always be somebody saying you drive a neon, no matter how much you say it's an SRT-4." -jason.sabavich

True, but isn't it nice to point out that [they] have been beat by a neon... An 04 SRT with minor mods and a good driver will hang with or beat a stock LS1, is a straight line or the turns... don't care what anyone says that gets my respect.

Look on an LS1 drivers face when he doesn't rape the lil 4dr pocket rocket priceless

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?