Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we have bad window motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
The Autozone motor can be had for 50 bucks or so with lifetime warranty. Cheaper if you don't want the warranty. They way I figure it, if I gotta replace the motor again, I might as well get a free one.
The Siemans motor comes with the limited lifetime warranty. There is no additional cost. There is a more expensive motor available at AutoZone but it comes with a minimal warranty.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I could not believe all the window motor problems.

I have to say that I only had one occurance where the motor was replaced but only because I complained about a rattle with the window when it was part way lowered. I think my problem was more with how people close the door then the motor failing (closing by grabbing the top of the window and causing stress IMO).

But, I had a 99' Firebird for 3 years and over 50,000 miles and my 01' TA WS6 with over 41,000 miles now and never had a motor quit.

Good luck all with your window problems and hopefully I never have to deal with it.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Maybe us people with window problems like the windows down to much... Ok. Thanks for the tip on AutoZone. Yea if i gotta replace it many times it should be free lol.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The Siemans motor comes with the limited lifetime warranty. There is no additional cost. There is a more expensive motor available at AutoZone but it comes with a minimal warranty.
What did you do, read the small print? J/K. I don't remember which one I got. What does the limited warranty give you?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought my window motor today. finally completely cutout on me.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
What did you do, read the small print? J/K. I don't remember which one I got. What does the limited warranty give you?
No, I dont know what "limited" means in the case of the window motor's warranty. Too my knowledge you should be able to get another one free if it fails.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Called the dealership today and my car is still under warranty until march, so I can get it replaced for free. Made an appt. for Thursday. Then later today, I went out to my car and the window works perfectly. Think I can still get it replaced for free? This sucks...it'll probably work fine until after my warranty is up and then crap out.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

My Damn Passenger one is almost dead
Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought and replaced mine last friday with a Siemens motor from Autozone. Here's a couple of good write-ups for you guys that really helped me.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/Window.htm
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts22
Called the dealership today and my car is still under warranty until march, so I can get it replaced for free. Made an appt. for Thursday. Then later today, I went out to my car and the window works perfectly. Think I can still get it replaced for free? This sucks...it'll probably work fine until after my warranty is up and then crap out.
mine was like that at first. it messed up a few times, then worked perfectly fine for a few weeks. then it really started messing up.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

My driver's side motor went out at 40K........both sides are slower than they probably should be
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Like luvme said, it will act up intermittently until it completely quits on you. The dealer knows the drill. Tell him it has been failing to work intermittently and you want it replaced.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Teching In

ditto on they suck. My 02 TA front driver went out about at 38K. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty so they are going to fix it. The passenger side is getting slow too.
I also had a 98 Grand Prix - same thing.

I love my TA-WS6 but US cars suck on reliable parts.

Originally Posted by WAGE_SLAVE
mine has gone out 4 times since I have had my car its getting expensive and frustrating. now i think it is going again.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Seems like Once you buy the car on the way home you might as well stop at AutoZone and pick up a few motors with lifetime warranty... Then you never have to worry again
Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAGE_SLAVE
mine has gone out 4 times since I have had my car its getting expensive and frustrating. now i think it is going again.
Serious? GM should be shot haha

How much does it run you, do it yourself?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Like luvme said, it will act up intermittently until it completely quits on you. The dealer knows the drill. Tell him it has been failing to work intermittently and you want it replaced.
Yeah, so I took my car to the dealership today. My warranty expires in March. I tell them its the window motor and the guy says "yeah if it has worked on and off, it's NOT the switch or anything."

They call me to tell me to come pick up my car, and what do you know, they say "it was just the switch."

I proceed to tell the guy that he specifically told me that it wasn't the switch, and he kinda fumbled around the question, and was just like, well that's what they fixed. I told him that I KNOW that these cars have bad window motors and that is what's wrong. I repeated that my warranty expires in March and IT WILL be replaced under warranty. He said it will be on file, and hopefully warranty will cover it. I just said, "It better", grabbed my keys and walked out. He knew it was the window motor, and I was pissed.

I go back to college week after next, so hopefully, it quits again so I can have it actually replaced. Damn dealers....
Old 01-06-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

...They call me to tell me to come pick up my car, and what do you know, they say "it was just the switch."...

...I told him that I KNOW that these cars have bad window motors and that is what's wrong. I repeated that my warranty expires in March and IT WILL be replaced under warranty....

...I go back to college week after next, so hopefully, it quits again so I can have it actually replaced. Damn dealers....
Maybe you could hasten it's demise. Hold the glass in place and keep hitting the switch until you smell motor .
Old 01-07-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i changed mine so many times i hated it
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

i have a 98z w/ 75k miles, no prob's ever recorded... weird. my g/f's 25th T/A's motors suck tho.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Launching!

98 SS w/ 78k and both have been replaced. And they're both slow.