Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is having power safer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is having power safer?

Some people say that power in a car is dangerous- causes accidents. I can;t count many times that the power (handling and braking) saved me from a wreak. For me the power has saved me on the on ramps many times. The braking has saved me when people jam theirs ahead of me in town. Tell me your stories.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackbird5.7
Some people say that power in a car is dangerous- causes accidents. I can;t count many times that the power (handling and braking) saved me from a wreak. For me the power has saved me on the on ramps many times. The braking has saved me when people jam theirs ahead of me in town. Tell me your stories.
those people arent very smart. i sure cant see how having better handling and braking would be more dangerous. ive had a few exit ramp mishaps where ive had to swerve and brake hard to avoid emminent death. i cant imagine i would still be here if i had one of those instances with my old 72 cheyenne!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's power? Every car has power. I had a 6 cylinder Stang--it had power. The car is not the issue, it's the person pushing the pedal to the medal.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

one time a guy ran a red light, and i was in the middle of the intersection. he was headin right for me and i had no way to get outta the way in time. i punched it and yanked the wheel and whipped the back end around, and got out of a major accident.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Power is the control of the person operating the vehicle to its potential. Those who use it safely are not a problem, its those who misuse it who are the danger.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joker
Power is the control of the person operating the vehicle to its potential. Those who use it safely are not a problem, its those who misuse it who are the danger.
You speak wisely master yoda.......
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

I had a 6 cylinder Stang--it had power.

hahahaha, thats an oxymoron.... a mustang with power lol!

but the people that are telling you that power is bad, they are most likely talkin about kids that dont have much driving experience and cant control the power. thats another thing, like some people come on here saying i want 700rwhp! but you dont need all that when 500 will get you 10's what do you need 700 for?!?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psykoTA
You speak wisely master yoda.......
So go forth, and let the force propel you to 10 second quarter miles and smoking cobras...feel the force...of NO2 and forced induction.....
Old 01-26-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

The extra power can add some safety. I know I've had some scary situations in my Accord when I'm merging onto the freeway or have needed to accelerate quickly. I continually have the gas pedal to the floor when I'm accelerating normally to stay with the flow of traffic.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, power is safer if you don't suck at driving. Who wants a car that can pull .8 g's turning, 1 g braking, but only .1 g's accelerating? Merging on the highway, accelerating after stopping to yield for an offramp, and passing on a 1 lane highway are all safer with power.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's safer when you know how to apply it to responsible driving. It's the people who aren't used to power, people who don't know how cars react to throttle input, and people who are overly confident that they can control their powerful vehicle beyond its limits that make powerful cars unsafe.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Defenetley power is good. I mean I use the "force" for some good and evil
but when I drive I am the most cautious driver out there I wont race anyone unless I see theres no hazards around like say the freeway late late at night. But yes Ive had several offramp mishaps and have had to use the Trans Am's power to its fullest although I have had that power come back at me when I didnt know how to control it when I first had the car , I hit apost accelerating on the freeway while the turf was still a bit wet. I since have learned my lesson and I know now how to use its power wisely and sometimes for fun. But I never let the power of this car take "control" of me. I mean I think cars like these can get to a person and make them think nothing can touch them , they are wrong. Ive learned from past experiance and when you know how to use its power correctly theres all the fun you'll need with out killing someone.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its drivers that are dangerous when power is used in an irresponsible manner.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've avoided two accidents thanks to the power and handling. Granted they weren't in my Formula it definately makes a difference. A minivan pulled out in front of me while driving my truck and just stopped in the middle of my lane. I was able to swerve and miss the car just by reaction, and granted the back end broke loose and almost came around, I was able to get off the throttle fast enough to avoid hitting the driver's side of the van head on and possibly injuring or killing someone. I feel if I had been in my car it would have easily dodged around the incident with no tire squall. Than the other night, I was driving the girlfriends' Firebird, granted it's a V6, it still handles better than her old car or parent's 97 Blazer. If it hadn't been for the way the car sticks better to the road and brakes, we would have probably ended up in a ditch due to a large limb lying in the road due to a storm that was coming through. It's just knowing how to drive the car and not abusing the power of them. After I have my car done with the phase II packageI fully intend to take it out in a parking lot or deserted roads just to get comfortable with the new power before going anywhere with traffic.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

i know power, mainly acceleration, has kept me out of a few accidents. the brakes have saved me a few times also.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I always drive very defensively, always looking ahead and thinking that could be the corner some asswhipe comes barreling out of or this could be the night that drunk driver crosses the line. Always assuming that the other person is going to hit me and thinking ahead as to how I would react.

I was run over while walking across a street back in 96; ruined my career, the driver didn't have insurance, and my own insurance at the time sucked so all of my savings at the time went to medical bills because unlike so many out there, I'm responsible.
To this day I have a very hard time crossing a street on foot because of that. The damage you do to someone can last forever in so many ways, its not just the cars that get busted up.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bklynstanger
What's power? Every car has power. I had a 6 cylinder Stang--it had power. The car is not the issue, it's the person pushing the pedal to the medal.
Hahaha, that sux... I had one too
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Joker
That's why I always drive very defensively, always looking ahead and thinking that could be the corner some asswhipe comes barreling out of or this could be the night that drunk driver crosses the line. Always assuming that the other person is going to hit me and thinking ahead as to how I would react.

I was run over while walking across a street back in 96; ruined my career, the driver didn't have insurance, and my own insurance at the time sucked so all of my savings at the time went to medical bills because unlike so many out there, I'm responsible.
To this day I have a very hard time crossing a street on foot because of that. The damage you do to someone can last forever in so many ways, its not just the cars that get busted up.
That's rough man. I'm glad you're alright.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Power and Braking are very important. I can't tell you how many times 310 rwhp has got me out of trouble, especially onramps, I'm sure everybody has experienced a crappy on ramp with a semi bering down on you in the right lane going 75mph. When I turned 16 my parents didn't want me to have anything under a v6 for safety. They understand tq vs hp
Old 01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power can be a "safety" feature, but the average person driving and LS1 is probably more dangerous than if they were driving a 3800 series II. Of course I used thsi same argument on my parents back in the day because I inherited a 1986 Toyota Tercel with a ~1.6L I4 that probably made like 70 hp. Now THAT was dangerous, especially with five or six people in it. I think the most important thing to have is good brakes. That being said mine are still stock so I guess I'm a hypocrite, but being able to stop comes in very handy.