New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 1998-1999 T/A what problems to look for exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purchasing a 1998-1999 T/A what problems to look for exactly?

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch before but i couldn't find nothing when i searched. Maybe i wasn't looking in the right place i dunno.

Either way it's actually my g/f that is wanting an A4 98 or 99 T/A she wants to get it in about a month. Which is cool i love the cars an i think the ls1 is an awesome motor, plus she said i can mod it an play around with it all i want . I'm the one to blame for her wanting this car lol as you can see in my sig. she's always rode in a pretty fast car an she is determined to have a car that will atleast beat my grand prix . So i showed her a black T/A an now that's all she freakin talks about buying and of course it's now my job to find this car for her how i got elected for the job i have no idea. But I'll be truthful i know absolutly nothing about these cars. What are some things to look for on these cars when we go check them out? Anything to be leery of specifically? What kinda mileage should i be looking at an how much mileage is to much for these cars?

Thanks for you help.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

the only thing i could say look out for is piston slap. its a ticking when the car starts up. search and u can find out about it. but i heard the 99's and up can have it. and try to by one that isnt modded so u know it hasnt been beat on
Old 02-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Yeah looking for one that's not modded was already what i was thinking. But it's a used car an it's hard to tell if it was modded at one time or not.

Was piston slap a big problem with these things? I'm reading piston slap really isn't nothing to worry about anyways.

Anymore info
Old 02-07-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's really not...there really isn't much to worry about with these cars....they are built...if there is something wrong you can tell usually...ie..car makes bad noises when driving and stuff
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Personally i've never heard 'slap on a 98/99 car.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

98's are a little unique, but not in a bad way. basically any problems will be associated with all years, window motor, head light motors ect, really nothing major. If its in good condition and unmodded it'll be a reliable car.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Well that's good to see their reliable. I won't have to worry about fixing it all the time.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

the only thing you wil have to worry about is little things: fog lights, blinkers, headlight gears, window motors, etc.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSix
Personally i've never heard 'slap on a 98/99 car.
My '99 Z28 had some minor slap. The '00 WS6 did it as well. My '98 does not though.....
Old 02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn window motors. My car has a 104k miles and runs extremely strong for stock. Ls1's very well built and engineered.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

oooh look what the cat dragged in from ClubGP

Hell yeah get the lady a black TA

I bought the bird with 91K miles on it and it ran a 13.3x @ 105.x with new plugs, wires and fuel filter on stock suspension and Kumho Ecsta 712 245/50/ZR16 tires .. Point being, mileage shouldn't be a concern, unless ofcourse it's got like 150K and the guy wants $10k for it!

When I was shopping around, I test drove a alot of LS1s and some of'em had an oil leak!.. it was all over the intake .. these were 98s..99s and a couple of 00s.. But, the car looked stock.. obviously, wasn't cared for.. so look for that under the hood..

The other thing is leaky T-Tops!.. since all TAs are T-Tops, or convertibles [not applicable in this case] .. absolutely verify [even if u have to throw a jug of water over'em] that they don't leak... because if they do, the car's a PITA!!

Then the obvious, you know all that ... smooth tranny shifts, un-usual motor noise, condition of the interior, burn-out marks in the rear, fender-bender indicators, carfax, etc etc..
Old 02-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Yup i'm from clubgp

Good so i can pretty much plan on doing general main. How hard is it to change the plugs? I "heard" is a real pita

Atleast i won't have to be leery of a car with 70-100k miles on it seems like they are strong motors like my 5.0. I know what to look for now, i think i'm more excited then she is lol i can't wait to start tinkering with it an get it to the track.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

clubgp rocks. i'm on there from time to time looking at parts for the daily driver.... 01 GS
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J.Brown
Yup i'm from clubgp

Good so i can pretty much plan on doing general main. How hard is it to change the plugs? I "heard" is a real pita

Atleast i won't have to be leery of a car with 70-100k miles on it seems like they are strong motors like my 5.0. I know what to look for now, i think i'm more excited then she is lol i can't wait to start tinkering with it an get it to the track.

did you recognize me ... I'm PUNJABI brotha

Plugs are a PITA.. a BIG one too but you'll do it..

For mods, do LTs [ stock manifolds on 98/99s are kinda restrictive, esp compared to later years.. ] lid [ofcourse], and catback [ with LTs you can do magnaflow, sounds great at WOT! ] .. don't do a huge stall, or she'll hate driving it every day.. but I digress... ah, it IS exciting lol..

Post some pics when you get one!!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RahuL
did you recognize me ... I'm PUNJABI brotha

Plugs are a PITA.. a BIG one too but you'll do it..

For mods, do LTs [ stock manifolds on 98/99s are kinda restrictive, esp compared to later years.. ] lid [ofcourse], and catback [ with LTs you can do magnaflow, sounds great at WOT! ] .. don't do a huge stall, or she'll hate driving it every day.. but I digress... ah, it IS exciting lol..

Post some pics when you get one!!
I was going to guess it was you I didn't quite recongnize ya without that big *** sweet looking picture of your firechicken below your post lol.

I was already figuring on doing LT's a catback an a different intake, i probably won't do a stall for awhile since it's not my car an she's not going to use it for the same purposes i would use it for .

I'll be sure to post up some pic.'s when she gets it.