New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fbody=poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Show of hands how many people bought their cars because of the exceptional build quality????????

I'm taking a look at the 02 Camaro brochure; Z28 starting at $22K. Hell, that's how much a NEON costs now! What could you possibly be asking for? Class-leading quality, or ***** to the wall power?
Old 02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Given the punishment we dish out to our cars, it's surprising they hold up as well as they do.
Damn straight.

I've seen people push so many stock parts on their F-bodies so far/hard while still holding up that it's scary.

These are street cars from the factory, not race cars. It shocks me just how much power/abuse I've seen stock LS1 shortblocks take before finally letting go. Same for LT1s.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the paint cracks is because of stupid people running into the cars in parking lots. How about the ford engines blowing the spark plugs out of the hole? I've seen it, and the local dealer says its common. Ever seen the heads replaced on a ford truck? You have to remove the cab and front clip.
All cars have problems, GMs are just easier and less expensive to fix.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

agree with steve 100 ******* percent. you get a world class engine and tranny wrapped around a mediocre frame for a base of 22k. whats the problem.

if you kept an ls1 stock, drove it around as a daily driver, did regular maintainance and never raced it, it would hold up fine. but whats the fun in that.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by jrp

if you kept an ls1 stock, drove it around as a daily driver, did regular maintainance and never raced it, it would hold up fine.
Yep, 150-200K easy miles should be attainable.

I beat the living hell out of my first F-body (3rd gen Formula 350) every time I drove it, but did proper maintainence. The stock motor (whole longblock) was still PERFECT even at 110K when I sold it, and the stock auto trans didn't go till 100K. And that was '80s build quality. LS1s are even better, IMO.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with u MATTKEMSEY in some and I disagree with others , Chevy had belt one of the most reliable engines , so I dont agree with powertrain problems u mentioned.
But I agree with u about the poor quality that GM used to build the interior of the f-bodies (windows , t-tops , trunk , the huge dash ...etc ) also encluding the materials which r used .
Old 02-12-2005, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Ya , In addition , sware god i never seen worse than the 4L60E , and the 10-bolt.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
I agree with u MATTKEMSEY in some and I disagree with others , Chevy had belt one of the most reliable engines , so I dont agree with powertrain problems u mentioned.
But I agree with u about the poor quality that GM used to build the interior of the f-bodies (windows , t-tops , trunk , the huge dash ...etc ) also encluding the materials which r used .
I don't know what you people expect for a car priced in the range of the typical LS1 F-body. Sure, you could option a Firehawk or SS well into the mid-30K range or higher for 'verts, but the basic LS1 F-cars were usually bought for low to mid $20K's for Z28s or mid to high 20K's for Trans Ams. What else do you expect for a car that does mid 13s stock, makes around 300rwhp stock, and sells in that price range? '99-'02 GTs certainly didn't beat that.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
Ya , In addition , sware god i never seen worse than the 4L60E , and the 10-bolt.
How many have you had & broke?

4L60E is a great stock auto trans, what do you think is better from any major manufacturer that holds up to 350hp stock motors? Remeber, these transmissions were built for STOCK street cars, and yet they still hold up well to a point with big stalls and power upgrades.

My stock 4L60E in my WS6 did excellent when I had a stock/bolt-on only motor, holding up to TONS of WOT runs with a 3500 stall.

And again, the 10 bolts usually do just fine in auto cars. It's the modded 6-speeds that have most of the issues.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't know what you people expect for a car priced in the range of the typical LS1 F-body. Sure, you could option a Firehawk or SS well into the mid-30K range or higher for 'verts, but the basic LS1 F-cars were usually bought for low to mid $20K's for Z28s or mid to high 20K's for Trans Ams. What else do you expect for a car that does mid 13s stock, makes around 300rwhp stock, and sells in that price range? '99-'02 GTs certainly didn't beat that.
So I assume that the base model Z28's(low 20's) and the base model Trans Ams(mid 20's) were the only 'real' performance value? Personally I could put up with some inferior quality from a low-mid 20k car. For anything 30k or more GM should have equiped the cars with a 12-bolt....it could have been standard on the SS and WS6 since they generally cost 30k or more. .2c
Old 02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Ford recalled every single one of the new GT's because the suspension can fall apart at any given time. They issued a warning saying dont drive it at any speed until it was repaired. Those things cost like 150k and the suspension can fall apart?

For 22k brand new I can deal with some minor problems that dont affect driveability.

Also Ford just recalled something like 800,000 F150's cause the cruise control can cause them to catch on fire.

Problems with the F-Body are minor. The only one that causes any down time would be a bent push rod and thats not gonna happen unless you rev to 7k.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I'd hate to start an argument but I don't hear of newer 99+ Mustangs having as many quality issues. The 99 Cobra was low on power but Ford fix it for free.
Dude you are always starting **** about F-Bodies, shut the **** up. You are always about Fords. Give me a ******* break.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are that against F-bodys, why don't you just sell yours. And let someone else enjoy the car you dont. It seems to me that you read/hear about all of these minor problems related to our cars POSSIBLY because you are reading a forum based upon the car itself?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:08 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Dude you are always starting **** about F-Bodies, shut the **** up. You are always about Fords. Give me a ******* break.
well i read most of his posts, they are definetely not starting ****. i think he's jsut got some honest questions about some of the f-body components.

JRP said it best tho man,
you get a world class engine and tranny wrapped around a mediocre frame for a base of 22k. whats the problem.

if you kept an ls1 stock, drove it around as a daily driver, did regular maintainance and never raced it, it would hold up fine. but whats the fun in that.
some of you guys are pretty quick to jum pdown other peoples throat. course I do it too, but still I think this is jsut a question thread.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67

Problems with the F-Body are minor. The only one that causes any down time would be a bent push rod and thats not gonna happen unless you rev to 7k.
So I can't miss a shift and I can't launch hard?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1998camaroz28
well i read most of his posts, they are definetely not starting ****. i think he's jsut got some honest questions about some of the f-body components.

JRP said it best tho man,

some of you guys are pretty quick to jum pdown other peoples throat. course I do it too, but still I think this is jsut a question thread.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head man I'm not trying to start crap about this company is better or this company thats childish imo......just trying to see other fbody owners opinions on different things. Some people take it like I'm trying to somehow insult fbodies or something.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

i believe GM did what you wanted Matt, its called the GTO. but thats funny, alot of people call that over priced :think:.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I can't miss a shift and I can't launch hard?
Go ahead and launch it. If you blow out the rear just plunk down the money and buy a better rear. As for missing a shift...hope that doesn't happen too often
Old 02-12-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jrp
i believe GM did what you wanted Matt, its called the GTO. but thats funny, alot of people call that over priced :think:.
But even with the GTO he can't miss a shift or launch hard.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, you hit the nail on the head man I'm not trying to start crap about this company is better or this company thats childish imo......just trying to see other fbody owners opinions on different things. Some people take it like I'm trying to somehow insult fbodies or something.
We are not trying to start **** with you, it just seems that you are pretty unsatisfied with your fbody.

Quick Reply: fbody=poor quality