Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first car - my first error code >_<

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first car - my first error code >_<

Hi all, I just purchased a 2000 Camaro Z28, my first real car , and i'm getting the p0410 "Secondary Air Injection Malfunction" code. When i got the car, and before i read what the code was myself, the dealer said it was a clogged fuel injector that they just blew out (yea...right...) So I'm assuming they just cleared the error code turning off the light, as my uncle later did for me. But in both cases the code came back on day or so later. I've done some reasearching and i've found that GM recalled older models for issues with the Air Pump and i've also found that almost everyone here recommends that the thing be either removed or disabled - - my problem tho is that I need to take the car to get emissions tested so that I can get plates...so what should I do???

Is there anything that "commonly" goes wrong with the system to cause this code? I had always been into cars and my uncle's a mechanic, so we have at our disposal the means to fix what might be wrong...but...we just dont know what's wrong...lol

Little background: The car has 60K miles on it, it looks beautiful, but my uncle says that the front passanger side of the engine compartment had taken some damage and had some welding done - although beautifully done.

Thanx a million in advance,
Dreammmatt
Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were you, I would take the air pump out and borrow a buddies air pump until you get the emissions test done. After the test, take the AIR system off. It also depends on where you live though and how strict the emissions laws are. Where I'm from, I can take my car in just like it is (no cats) and they don't care.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in Cleveland Ohio and my buddies dont have cars even remotely close to what i've got, lol. One has an Accord, one has a '91 Caravan, one has an ancient mazda truck, lol. Also, occasionally, when I start the car it has a fast resonating/vibrating sound which eventually goes away - does that have anything to do with the air pump also? cuz i saw that the air pump is also supposed to be on for a little while, 240 seconds.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first thought after reading your first post was to make sure the AIR PUMP fuse was there/wasn't blown. But if it's making noise on cold starts from the driver's side front sounds more like a bad pump. If you got the car from a dealer they should fix it so you'll pass inspection. Guess you'll have to tell them what's wrong...
Old 03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Try the dealer first (inquire about Magnussen-Moss warranty law online), if all else fails search here and ebay. I got a hardly used AIR pump and complete assembly with hoses and check valves for like $30. Its easy to put on too, completely modular.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well, we cleared the codes again today and took it straight to the e-check place. The guy hooked it up to the computer and was like "did you get service done recently?" "there's nothing here to read..." so they ended up putting it on the stupid spinner, but it passed - so now I have 2 years to toy around with the air pump. With this amount of time what do you all think is best? Just try and locate a cheap replacement?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by dreammmatt
I'm in Cleveland Ohio and my buddies dont have cars even remotely close to what i've got, lol. One has an Accord, one has a '91 Caravan, one has an ancient mazda truck, lol. Also, occasionally, when I start the car it has a fast resonating/vibrating sound which eventually goes away - does that have anything to do with the air pump also? cuz i saw that the air pump is also supposed to be on for a little while, 240 seconds.

Just turn it off...They probably won't even know where the damn thing is anyways,
Old 03-29-2005, 09:52 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just rip the thing out, I would have pulled mine today but Speed Inc didn't have the blockoff plates I needed Pulling out all the emissions crap AIR, EGR frees up SO MUCH space in the engine compartment.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the air pump is only on at start up to warm up the cats, or so I was informed. If the car is all warmed up, and you delete the codes permently, you shouldn't need to have the air pump to pass emissions, just make sure you dont do the sniffer cold!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt think it was to warm up the air, i thought it just forced air through them to clean any left over debris
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

it is used to warm the cats up, so that they can quickly clean the exhaust.

the system is not vital to the cats or to the car's normal operation.

cats work best when they are hot. the AIR system gets them there faster.

pull it out and delete the codes.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
If I were you, I would take the air pump out and borrow a buddies air pump until you get the emissions test done. After the test, take the AIR system off. It also depends on where you live though and how strict the emissions laws are. Where I'm from, I can take my car in just like it is (no cats) and they don't care.
Is that all over Texas? If it is those I'm taking those cats off and getting my plates in Houston 8-)