New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the battery or altenator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it the battery or alternator? (Power steering pump question now included.)

Driving home last night, I noticed my instrument panel lights weren't as bright as usual. A few miles down the road, the check guages light comes on.

Check gas guage first: 3/4 tank.

Temp guage: just under 210

Oil pressure: fine

Battery: down in the yellow hatchmark, around 10 or so amps

Keep on driving home and a few more miles down the road, the ABS and TCS kick off. Down to aroun 9 amps. About 2 miles before I get home, the Air Bag light comes on along with the Service Vehicle light. Down to almost 8 amps. Turn onto our sidestreet, whole instrument panel dies. Its still lit up, just not reading anything on any guage including the odometer.

Pull into the driveway and shut it off then try to restart it and nothing.

Last edited by XtreemeChaos; 03-29-2005 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 03-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Launching!

I've had a loose battery cable give me a headache once or twice. That would be my first move.

I've also had a bad battery prevent my car from shifting higher than 2nd gear before. Many of the lights lit up as well. If the terminals are tight I would guess battery. If you have access to another car take the battery to Autozone, or some place like it, and have them do a check on it.

Bad batteries can screw with modern car electronics royaly. They need consistent power.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Thats like dejavu that exact thing happened yesterday, i took it in to have someone look at it and the voltage regulator (in alternator) was screwed so i got a new alternator and my battery wouldnt hold a charge so i got a new one
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

uggh.. that may be my problem then too. I've also had a power steering leak that I haven't been able to track down which may have caused the alternator to go.

Can a place like Advance check alternators if you bring it in by itself (off the car)?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once the car is on you are running off your altenator so its gotta be something with your altenator. Could be a ground or the actual alt itself. I would check the wire (maybe even replace it). If it keeps up replace the alt.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

That is exactly what happened to me when my alternator died. I had replaced my power steering pump for leaking just before that. I would just do them both at the same time.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

How do you know if the whole power steering pump is bad? I bought a new seal kit and am going to take it apart tomorrow, but need to know what to look for besides loose/busted hoses or bad seals.

The pump didn't make any noticeable noises except for when it was low on fluid. Topped it off and was quiet again.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know how to fix your PSP but I agree with 2MuchRice. It has to be the alt. I wonder if PS fluid is conductive. If it is, it may be grounding through the fluid collecting on the alt or it may be screwing with the internals of the alt. I'd take the alt in to get it checked. I might even find something that is safe for electronics like the alt but can clean out the fluid. After you clean it, take it in for the test and if it's still bad, its the alt.