got a problem? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a problem?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29
Unhappy got a problem?

no matter what gear i am in if i try to speed up while it is lower rpms my engine seems to have a knock and it seems to have lost a little power
got any ideas 2002 trans am ws6 conv. 11k
pornstar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (9)
 
Gloveperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pornstar68
no matter what gear i am in if i try to speed up while it is lower rpms my engine seems to have a knock and it seems to have lost a little power
got any ideas 2002 trans am ws6 conv. 11k
Check your fuel filter. Check your ignition componets as well, although with only 11k miles, my bet is on a dirty fuel or air fitler.

You are using the right fuel as well and there is no check engine light on either, correct?

You could always scan for codes as well anyway though.
Gloveperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 396
Default

Sounds like detonation...it's common with LS1's. I've found that the most common cause is oil contamination from the PCV system. The LS1's PCV allows way too much oil to slip past the PCV valve and be spit into the intake. It can foul out the plugs, cause carbon buildup, and contaminate the fuel mixture. I'd bet if you pulled your lid (airbox if it's stock) off right now and looked past your throttle body it would be all oily. I'd suggest getting a catch can....AMW makes a great piece for $88. I consider it to be a must have on any LS1. That will literally "catch" any oil that comes through the PCV system. After that I'd change the plugs and it should be good to go. I doubt you have excessive carbon buildup after 11k miles. Other causes of detonation can be a clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel lines, clogged injectors, bad fuel pump or any other malfunction of the fuel delivery system that would cause the car to run lean under load. It can also be from bad gas. You can try going to a different gas station. There's an Exxon around here that makes every car ping that I have ever taken there and that has been about 4 different cars. But I'd bet it's from oil contamination though the PCV...LS1's are horrible with that.
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 93
Default

BP gas has some crap in it for the winter that polymerizes into a sludge and completely f*s the injectors. My mom had been using it and the car developed a knock and loss of power - after switching to another brand gas there were no such problems.
dreammmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29
Default

i actually was running unleaded in it but i should be running premium i found outbut would that acount for my loss of power
pornstar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:10 AM   #6
11 Second Club
 
jaberwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: loudoun county,va
Posts: 2,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martingale
Sounds like detonation...it's common with LS1's. I've found that the most common cause is oil contamination from the PCV system. The LS1's PCV allows way too much oil to slip past the PCV valve and be spit into the intake. It can foul out the plugs, cause carbon buildup, and contaminate the fuel mixture. I'd bet if you pulled your lid (airbox if it's stock) off right now and looked past your throttle body it would be all oily. I'd suggest getting a catch can....AMW makes a great piece for $88. I consider it to be a must have on any LS1. That will literally "catch" any oil that comes through the PCV system. After that I'd change the plugs and it should be good to go. I doubt you have excessive carbon buildup after 11k miles. Other causes of detonation can be a clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel lines, clogged injectors, bad fuel pump or any other malfunction of the fuel delivery system that would cause the car to run lean under load. It can also be from bad gas. You can try going to a different gas station. There's an Exxon around here that makes every car ping that I have ever taken there and that has been about 4 different cars. But I'd bet it's from oil contamination though the PCV...LS1's are horrible with that.
never heard of a 2002 needing a catch can...
98 maybe... but not 02...
jaberwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
11 Second Club
 
jaberwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: loudoun county,va
Posts: 2,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pornstar68
i actually was running unleaded in it but i should be running premium i found outbut would that acount for my loss of power
you mean you were running 87 in it?

please read your owners manuals people... thats why they make them....

yes 87 is bad for you... run a tank or 2 of the right fuel in it and your trouble should just go away....
and go out and buy your car a nice wax job to say your sorry for feeding her cowpiss....
jaberwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
On The Tree
 
koolkoreanked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberwaki
you mean you were running 87 in it?

please read your owners manuals people... thats why they make them....

yes 87 is bad for you... run a tank or 2 of the right fuel in it and your trouble should just go away....
and go out and buy your car a nice wax job to say your sorry for feeding her cowpiss....
LMAO
koolkoreanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: