Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went on a top speed run

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
vertigo and pyscho...how far from norfolk are you guys?
2.5-3 hours
Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

ive only had my car to 125 mph, and thats n the quarter mile
Old 04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 10secopcar
ive only had my car to 125 mph, and thats n the quarter mile
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

michigan potholes.....iv hit about 125 haha
Old 04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets face it, top speed runs in the public domain add to the inherent danger.
It adds variables to the equation. Not to sound like an old man, but top speed runs and racing is best done at a track where the situation is more controlled. This alone though does not guarantee anything. Has anyone ever looked at the suspension of a car and seen how many shockingly small parts there are and all the things that could go wrong, not to mention that if you have defective tires or pick up a nail going 120 it could all spells disaster.
What if you break a balljoint?
I took my chances when I was younger too. Now I rarely top drive faster then 100, and thats on rare occasion. I get more thrill out of my car coming off the line strong to about 60 mph. Still not safe, but not as dangerous as a 150 mph run.
It sort of makes me feel in control, as surely other drivers don't know what the heck they are doing.
Threads like this worry me being a family man now. I think there are some very impressionable young guys on this board who may read this and not realize the implications or dangers involved. You could be the best driver in the world, but anything can cause you to lose control of the vehicle, possibly killing yourself or someone else. An occurence of this sort is a life altering experience for many people.
Be cool and stay safe.
i've not even broke 100 in the formula...but i love taking off the line the same as you to about 60-80...i'm not a big fan of speed but rather acceleration...i love getting pulled back into the seat...i get to paranoid at high speeds...of cops and because it is dangerous....BTW..i'm a "young guy" (19)

Last edited by 777; 04-15-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Took mine to 120. It felt good to go that fast but then i was thinking, what if i had to dodge something in the road, I wouldn't want to do cartwheels down the interstate, so I decided that that was fast enough. I would like to go to a place like the salt flats to open it up just once. And never again. I much perfer to be at a stop light sitting next to someone who thinks they can take me. I love to embarrass them. Then shut it down, and if they fly by, well I'll embarrass them again.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

My sig kind of answers the question for me I probably haven't ever been over about 175ish. Plan on going faster in the near future however Just remember, if you blow a tire at 150+ mph you're probably going to wreck, and it's not going to be a pretty "show it to your mom" kind of scene. Take it to the track or do what I do and do ORR event's with all the right safety gear.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

It's been a while since I streched mine out...having a little one now limits top speed runs to about 1/4 mile !
Old 04-16-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

i have only had my car 9 months and i have hit 130 in it the first time( 3 months after i bought it).....5 months later did a 143 and DAMN if it wasnt still CLIMBING!!!....im not even gonna front i got scared and let off.....and yea im 20 years old and have wrecked this car twice(yea i know I KNOW i was stupid).....much wiser now and hell of alot better driver....but for u guys who havent been in wrecks EVEN at all....wreckin in a F-body at 70+(old lady slap dead in the middle of the road)....is NO JOKE!!!...and that old saying that ur life flashes before ur eyes uhh yea thats not bullshit....u guys stay safe out there
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Launching!

I would say that the the people in Germany who drive on the Autobahn are better drivers than the Americans. They will move over to the slow lane if you come up on someone in the fast lane. This is my biggest complant with a lot of people they don't keep to the right lane. Also most people trust their brakes to much and tailgate or follow too closely at high speeds. In the northest where the speed limit is 65 most people do 70-75 in the right lane and 80-85 in the left lane. I just keep up with the flow of traffic. Once in a blue I will drive at 90-100 for a short stretch. The fastest I have gone is about 135-140 on the highway but the car had bad tires so I slowed down. Your better off keeping it on the track if you want to go over 100 mph. I had too many tickets when I was younger so I learned the hard way. Have fun and keep it safe.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

I would say that the the people in Germany who drive on the Autobahn are better drivers than the Americans
actually i have a video on this subjuect....and they ARE BETTER....i dunno if any of u guys know this but it takes 2 MONTHS to get ur liscense to drive on the autobahn(over there)....they spend 9 million ayear on road maintaince(their roads are 3inches thicker there than here so its a hell of alot smoother faster ride)...so many cameras its enough to make ur head spin.... O btw i wouldnt try running from the cops over there either....they are SPECIFCALLY TRAINED for highspeed chases that get way over 120+MPH!!!...not ALL of the autobahn is wide open...just thought id put my .02
Old 07-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Yeah, the only reason I was nervous at 155 was cuz I kept picturing myself meeting a cop! lol I don't wanna go to jail! These cars feel pretty stable for sure up to 140.
Most State trooper cruisers are limited to 138 mph but as fast as you go a radio is always faster.

Speed definately can kill. As for one who survived a 100+ mph accident it is a quick way to end ones or anothers life. Lesson learned from stupid teen days------>(DO NOT sit shotgun in a friends modded Porche 951 turbo and drag another's LT4 powered Camero down a road with a 30 degree bend with bald tires.) But I digress... The LS1 F-Body is more than capable of going in excess of 160 stock or with a few mods. With some bolt on I've been about 150 in 5th at a little over 5k rpms going up an incline until I came upon some 18 wheelers ahead. (Not quite as exhilerating as going 140 with the t-tops off. Somehow still alive .) But as it has been said speed is best saved for the track.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Hey, a two and a half month old thread!

I just went ~135 mph yesterday and was dissapointed because I had to shut down at that speed when the car shifted into overdrive. Stupid weak transmissions don't like WOT in overdrive, but I wanted to go FASTER, and the car felt like it was just going to keep pulling and pulling.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well for you guys that want to go fast with minimum risk, land speed racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats has a very good record. There's nothing to hit out there if you get out of control. You could get hurt if you roll or burn, but that's rare with all the safety stuff they require. They have a catagory for street cars that just want to try it out. It's the 130 mph club and the 150 mph club. I ran in the 150 mph club in 2003, and got a time slip for 160.959 mph, almost fast enough to get disqualified. It's a lot of fun, legal, and very safe. I want to go back and enter the 200 mph class next time.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, ive hit 152 to 155 about 4 times. There is a place on a local interstate K96, that is pretty conductive to high speeds, plus the on ramp is down hill and that way i get there a bit faster! I even did it once with 4 people in the car and the guy in the front had a video camera. He was filming the surroundings till about 90, then pans down to the speedo till about 110, then back to the road. When he finally came back to the speedo we were at about 146, and he kept it there till 155. God, I love my slotted rotors, my old one would warp everytime i hit the brakes at those speeds. But now a days i get scared at about 120, cause the cops have stepped it up in our area!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cal
I wouldn't go over 140 mph without at least a 4 point roll par and a 5 point harness. Make sure the windows are up all the way, and wear a snell2000 or later helmet.

Hey Cal when were on the track we have to have the windows down.

155(2nd gear corner leading to a 6,000ft stagiht away) for me hear. Front stretch of Road America.

Guys it is a blast to run lap after lap at this speed. Most track, I get too min 130(3rd Gear corner leading to 1,500 ft straight away). Later John
Old 07-02-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been to 140 or so a couple of times on the fastbike I used to have. CB1100F. One time was at night on a brand new highway, and it was really something. Too bad it was over so quickly.

I had my 98 Camaro to 110 if for no other reason than to go faster than in my 92 Camaro (105, struggling). I know it'll go faster, but I guess I'm getting to be a very cautious citizen in my old age. I've finally gotten to a place in life where things are good and I'd kinda like to stay here a while!
Old 07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

140 in the car 190 on the bike
Old 07-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Launching!

I really wasn't going to add anything to this thread, since it makes me feel like a old man. But doing these speeds off the track is crazy. My wifes on the road, my 16 mth daughter, mom/dad etc. Driving performance machines is awesome, but taking pics as your speeding is not only irresponsible, its idiotic. You'll view things different when your a parent, and see how precious life really is. So many of you guys take your cars to the track, keep them there and speed like crazy. Keep my family alive. ((PS: if you think it will never happen to me, try telling that to my wifes 17 year cousin who died a few mths ago when the driver thought it was cool to be speeding, as they hit a tree))
Old 07-02-2005, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

hm dont do what i did 3 years ago... took it to 155 tried to snap a pic thru the lil window thing... misjudged where the edge of the road was.. ran off it with right front tire, cuaght hard, hit head on wheel, spun about 70 times in the middle of the road and not into a tree thank god.. woke back up drove off lucky

Quick Reply: went on a top speed run