New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7-0, for now..but im a bit bothered..any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7-0, for now..but im a bit bothered..any suggestions?

hey, i just posted this thread in the racing section and i wanted to spred it out a bit to see wat most of ya'll thought..thanks (moderators, i apologize for the double post, but i thought that i might get more exposure this way...thanks)

Wats up ya'll, just got back from another night of having some fun and there are a few things i would like to see wat ya'll though.

first, i just got the 408ci (about 591/553 on an engine dyno with a ls6 manifold and 28 degrees on timing) with a ss3600 stall, 42lbs injectors, headers and a loudmouth, stock rear 3.23 (yeah, its crazy loud but i love it!!!) blah blah blah...

Also, im running on sorry *** kumho's all around (245/50/16) the back are almost gonna, the left tire is smooth while the right is as smooth or worse..they look like slicks almost...i now, getting a new set this week...

Anyways, so far i've had tons of fun with the new setup. I cant hook for my life until third...first and second are kinda useless unless i feel her through. I have raced a few rides and ive had pretty much the same results...

03 civic turbo
96sh mustang gt on bottle (didnt say but had headers and pipes at least...)
m3 on bottle (also didnt say how much...these guys never want to talk...)
evo @20psi (probably more but didnt say much more than that)
03-04 cobra conv. (stock)
dodge magnum wagon (not sure...)
srt-4 @15psi (maybe more but not sure)

Also, i ran a 360 modena but i was behind since the start and i was creeping on his tail..

Ok, im not trying to glot, im as humble as i can possibly be, but i have noticed that im not pulling as much as i though i would. This is all through a mail order tune and i was told that i should finalize my tune for max wot. Also, this is all through the stock air lid, maf, bellows,tb, and ls1 manifold.

wats going on? Am i nuts in thinking that my ride is slow or are there factors that are not letting me see the kind of results i was excepting?

The biggest lead i have gotten is about two-two 1/2 lengths on all of those races. (for the exception of the gt, i pulled pretty nasty on him, but htis was one of the first races and my tires were still "ok") I noticed that i was pulling harder on the cobra than the srt-4....is this right? both races where from my second gear, on.....

im sure that i will eventually lose, it comes with the game, but should i get better tires? Tune?

Basically, i ask this because i have seen people post larger gains on similar cars while im not really seeing those typical gains...

I know its long so to sum it up..

cliff notes:
My car is fast, but im not seeing the kind of gains i thought i would see.
(see mods up top, tell my wats up...)

thanks

you can pm me if you have any suggestions or wateva...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say, compare your dyno numbers and track times to those with similar set ups to see where you're at, if you're behind...I dunno, maybe get someone to adjust the tune or something?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're probably choking youre engine a bit with the stock lid and tb. Bellows doesn't really matter. Also people tend to exagerate when telling how hard they pulled on someone. A couple cars from a 2nd gear roll is quite a bit.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You're probably choking youre engine a bit with the stock lid and tb. Bellows doesn't really matter. Also people tend to exagerate when telling how hard they pulled on someone. A couple cars from a 2nd gear roll is quite a bit.
depending on when you stop
Old 04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to work on that intake. Also, get some decent tires, and maybe a tune down the line. Intake and tires are what's holding you back now I think.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take her to the track and she exactly what she runs. That'll tell you right there if it's what it's supposed to be.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

thanks ya'll, im sorry i kinda forgot about this post. hehehe..

anyway, i total agree, however, i need a tune really bad for the engine is still of, the time needs to be adjusted as for the fuel mapd, etc.

most likely my next mod will be some wheels and tires, then some intake work followed by much need suspension.

i really appreciate all of your replies, if anyone else woudl liek to comment, feel free please....i promise wont forget!!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First,
you cant judge your car by any car you beat on the street... there are way too many x factors....
second,
the fact that you are running on kumos is the only thing saving your rear... dont pray for traction because if you did hook with the kind of power your 408 should be making , kiss the 10 bolt bu-by....
third,
racing from a roll in an auto car, you are already giving up .5 sec or so to a manual car.
with equal traction from a dig, your gap would have been much more... as you would have put 1-2 cars on them in first.
forth,
if your gonna spend 10,000 bucks on a motor, then for petes sake, pay the 500 bucks to dyno tune it correctly and get all that you can out of it...
lastly....
you now have a very powerful car.... and you are going to get introduced all too quikly to the wonderful world of **** breaking.... If i may throw a word of advise to you. dyno tune your motor... then dont do any more hp mods... spend any $$$ you have for modding on 2 things... drive train strength, and suspention/chassis....

why?
hp and tq with out a strong drivetrain is cool till your broke on the side of the road after a 15 second civic just handed you , your *** and is off to further the ricer epedemic, all because your tranny **** itself on the launch.

hp and tq with out supporting suspention and chassis is cool if all you want to do with your car is smokey burnouts.... but if you want to race then blowing your tires off at the line is not cool....(enter 13 second rustang walking away with the win) or God forbid you do hook, and hook hard... having a twisted chassis is not cool, especially when you are replacing tires ever month....

not trying to be a dick... just trying to help you save some $$$ and frustration in the future...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

no, my thoughts exactly.

the tune issue is obviously first, im getting a hp tuner this weekend, hopefully, and with some help of a mo in the ls1tuning site, and a dyno of course, we'll see wat she can make.

next of course will be a set of tires, sfc, torque arm, lca panhard amd relo brackets. Im lowered pretty good and i would like to realign the geometry of my suspension. also some new bushings would be nice for the a-arms etc.

i would love to get a 12 bolt, at least, but right now its little tough. but soon.

I did race a stang gt fom a dig and im not sure if he let out, but after first gear and pinning all the way, i had about two buslengths on him. kinda reassuring but im hanging up the gloves until all this is one, amybe a few bursts here and there.

thanks bra...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

just a thought... saying that you are humble is an oxymoron
Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ttyson
just a thought... saying that you are humble is an oxymoron
Why? please explain....
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah from a roll on the freeway or street the M6's(as jaberwaki said)will usually have an advantage. Especially if they have gears. Remember you have a 4-speed and they have 6-speed(well most of them). If they are properly setup with gearing, rpms, and power then they will almost(i said almost)have an advantage on you on the freeway. Shoot my car with the power and stuff in my sig should be a close race against a new C6 auto on the freeway.

Last edited by PewterWSSicc; 04-30-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Shoot my car with the power and stuff in my sig should be a close race against a new C6 manual on the freeway.
um.... did you mean to say c6 auto?
cause (again i'm not trying to be a dick here) a manual c6 (read 400 hp) from a roll on the freeway would walk away from you FAST.... from a roll topend style racing is where vettes shine....

if you ment to say c6 auto then it would be alittle closer from a roll...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, i meant c6 auto, sorry for that, i was tired and i do that sometimes. There i edited it to say the right thing.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Yeah, i meant c6 auto, sorry for that, i was tired and i do that sometimes. There i edited it to say the right thing.

cool, yeh from a roll you would stay in striking distance...