Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying a car out of state

So I found a car....It's in Oklahoma (I'm in CO). Would be about an 11 hour drive down.

Who has ever bought a car sight unseen from a dealership out of state?

Good experience? Bad Experience?

Would like some feedback.

Thanks

BTW this is a 2002 Camaro with 42k miles. I'd like to think it is new enough to not have any major problems, but who knows.

Thanks again for your guy's help. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car in washington(state) and i live in san diego. I found it on ebay. I know it was a big risk but it worked out really well for me. It only had 5,300 miles and got it for 18k about a year and a half ago. Drove it all the way home and still havent had any problems(knock on wood).I now have 30,300 miles. Good luck
Old 05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
It only had 5,300 miles and got it for 18k about a year and a half ago. Drove it all the way home and still havent had any problems(knock on wood).I now have 30,300 miles. Good luck
WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!! 25K in a year!?!?! Good deal too!!Holy Shiate!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Bought my T/A from a dealer in Oklahoma, had a few problems, nothing major, they said it would be ready on a Thursday, they called and said it wouldn't be ready until Sat, nothing big. The biggest PITA was when I got it back here, the VIN inspection (only done on the 3rd Tues of the month 2-3pm ) plus you have to pay your states sales tax outright $$$$, but other than that it was smooth sailing.
My case is a little different than yours, mine was brand new (well 168 miles on it) and it was either buy it there or not get one (no one in the local area had a WS6 by the time I decided to buy one, in late Sept 02)
I'd say go for it, check it out good before finally signing all the paperwork, and enjoy the road trip back
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Got mine in CT from a private owner. Drove it back to NC. 95k miles at the time. No problems at all. The only "hassle" was having to drive back on my 1979 Trans Am plates because CT wanted us to get temp. tags and pay $450 in taxes to them for the sale of the car. **** that.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, last year I bought my 99 Yukon in Wichita KS, came back here to pay $750 for taxes and plates.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they still have it. Get the ball rolling and go from there.

Not a whole lot available locally, and what is available to me seems over priced.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!! 25K in a year!?!?! Good deal too!!Holy Shiate!
Now that i really thinkn about it, its actually 20 months. Still a lot of miles. I was just rewarded with a company truck so I wont be driving my TA every day. Time to give her a little rest.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

I bought mine a month ago from a guy 2 hours away. I never drove it and only saw pictures of it... people called me crazy for doing that but when I got there, it was sitting under a car cover and I fell in love. Only things I'm a little disapointed in, is it needs new tires ( 730 bucks! ) and there is a chip in the windshield... otherwise it was perfect.

Make sure the oil is good before you drive back home with it and when you get home, change the oil again... that's what I would do atleast..
Old 05-16-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove 6 hours to look at my car and drive it, put a down payment on it, then drove back later in the week to pick it up. I wouldnt commit til I saw it. It worked out good though. good luck
Old 05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nasty99WS6
I drove 6 hours to look at my car and drive it, put a down payment on it, then drove back later in the week to pick it up. I wouldnt commit til I saw it. It worked out good though. good luck
I flew to Alabama from Oklahoma to look at a WS6 on Autotrader. The hood didn't look right from the pics on the site. I asked him numerous times if it was a true ram air or if it just had the hood. He told me it was a ram air so I flew there. Come to find out it was not a true ram air and just had the SLP hood. They picked me up from the airport and I knew instantly it wasn't a WS6. We went back to the dealership and I asked for the sales manager so I could explain what a great disappointment and hassle had occured. Needless to say I got my flight there and back comped as well as $50 for my troubles. Not a bad experience, just not a pleasurable one.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Launching!

I got mine from a dealer in denver. 2002 ss m6 fully loaded with 7800 miles on it for 20k. It went really well, I flew in from San Diego after putting down a 500$ deposit and having the dealer take it to a mechanic which I spoke with. I also talked to 2-3 people who had bought from the same dealer. The drive back was alot of fun too.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you can get it send me the VIN number and I can tell you all of the history of the car with GM .

Originally Posted by WNA B LS1
So I found a car....It's in Oklahoma (I'm in CO). Would be about an 11 hour drive down.

Who has ever bought a car sight unseen from a dealership out of state?

Good experience? Bad Experience?

Would like some feedback.

Thanks

BTW this is a 2002 Camaro with 42k miles. I'd like to think it is new enough to not have any major problems, but who knows.

Thanks again for your guy's help. Greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state