Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mod advice, 1/8 to 1/4 conv

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mod advice, 1/8 to 1/4 conv

I just bought a 99 Z vert a4 3 weeks ago... 93k miles. Ran it at the track to see what it would do stock (just new fuzion zri street tires and a new fram filter) ran 14.231@97.6 best run. 2.26 60ft and 9.119 1/8 at 79.12
Went to the track yesterday..after only doing free mods (egr cut, removed intake screen, ran hose from vents in bumper to area by where filter breathes, and cut airfilter box on bottom to open up more breathing room). 1/4 mi light was broken... could only run 1/8ths.. times definitely better. Ran 8.839@79.39 1/8 with 2.119 60ft. Any guesses on what the 1/4 time/mph would have been? Also advice on mods to start with? I have a few $ reserved to play with. I was thinking magnaflow cat-back and a 125 wet shot (my bro has a 99 stang GT procharger I need to shut him up about) he runs 12.9-12.8 1/4.) and other ideas/advice? I have been a camaro guy all my life, he used to have a camaro, and went ford. Can't let him be the faster car!!!
Sorry about the long post... thanks in advance for any comments!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I would geuss the 8.8 8th mile would equate to a 13.7 or so. I doubt you picked up your time with the free mods, if anything you improved because you had more seat time and know how to drive the car better, or the DA was better.

Good mods to start with would be, Lid (any), Cat back(find what you like, but not flowmaster), some drag radials, stall converter, headers, then nitrous. If you just want to post big numbers right away do lid, cat back, drag radials, nitrous.

I would imagine with lid, cat back, drag radials, nitrous, you would be in the mid to low 12's. Add headers and a stall and run mid to low 11's all day long.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Also, Which cat-back is best? I looked at the loudmouth.. but heard the sound is unbelieveably loud (hence the name I guess!) I want loud, but not obnoxious. I have a tenddency for leaving the house, or coming home at 2-4am! I heard the magna flow is good, and the dynomax looked good as well, and both were in the $400 range.. which is my wallet's range. Any comments on the 2, or better ideas?
Lids... I know I need one.. seems to be the 1 mod EVERYONE has done. Thoughts on Whisper/SLP? they seem to both be $100 and the whisper has the LS! decal, which I like. any ideas where to get cheaper, or difference between the 2?
Last, which N2O system? wet or dry,Zex, NOS, I saw a couple other brands posted on here, I want to go 125 shot because that seems to be what most reccomend for safety, and not having to change pump/injectors.
Again, sorry for the newbie questions, but I haven't seem specific answers to these on any other posts, and I want to verify my comprehension of what I'm reading is correct. Thanks again.....
Old 05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)Torque converter (a must for A4 racing)
2) Lid (it will help with what you've already done on the intake end)
3) Electric Cut-out (much cheaper than a catback)
4) 100 shot of N2O (to shut your brother up)
Old 05-30-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I'll tell you what I did
Lid I got the SLP, simply because it has the hole in the side for the airpump line (I hate stuff flopping around in the engine bay).
You can find lids in the Parts for sale section, and just remember, a lid is a lid is a lid, not much, if any, difference in performance
Catback, I went with the TSP Rumbler, cheaper than the Loudmouth, and almost as loud, (it not stainless steel like the loudmouth, but for the price difference, aluminized steel is fine with me, and my Dynomax aluminized catback on my IROC is 10 years old nand no rust). The Rumbler is fairly loud, but if you don't get on it, it's acceptable to the neighbors (I leave my house @ 4:30 am haven't heard any b!tching yet)
BTW there is a NOS 5177 system in the parts for sale section if you want to run nitrous
If you do get a torque converter, don't forget to get a trans cooler as well, it'll help extend the life of your trans
Good luck shutting your brother up
Old 05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

I went with the Loudmouth due to the fact that it was really cheap for me and the sound isnt that loud if I shift under 2k rpms, easier to do with a manual. go to www.ls1sounds.com and find what you like the best. You never gave a range of funds that you have designated for modification, I just assumed it was about 1,000. If it is I would do lid, catback, and stall converter. If its more then do those and drag radisl, headers or ls6 intake. I believe in getting 'supporting' mods done before major power adders such as nitrous, forced induction, heads / cam.

This is all just my opinion, what ever you think will make you happy I say do it.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick99HuggerZvert
Also, Which cat-back is best? I looked at the loudmouth.. but heard the sound is unbelieveably loud (hence the name I guess!) I want loud, but not obnoxious. I have a tenddency for leaving the house, or coming home at 2-4am! I heard the magna flow is good, and the dynomax looked good as well, and both were in the $400 range.. which is my wallet's range. Any comments on the 2, or better ideas?
Lids... I know I need one.. seems to be the 1 mod EVERYONE has done. Thoughts on Whisper/SLP? they seem to both be $100 and the whisper has the LS! decal, which I like. any ideas where to get cheaper, or difference between the 2?
Last, which N2O system? wet or dry,Zex, NOS, I saw a couple other brands posted on here, I want to go 125 shot because that seems to be what most reccomend for safety, and not having to change pump/injectors.
Again, sorry for the newbie questions, but I haven't seem specific answers to these on any other posts, and I want to verify my comprehension of what I'm reading is correct. Thanks again.....
read stickies, they are your friend. mine are in my sig and check the n2o sticky in the n2o section.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

9.11 doesn't sound a very good time in the 1/8 mile.. my 1991 z28 with the l98 hits 8.90's with just a few bolt ons.