Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be nice to newbs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
This is a great thread...way to go natronathon, for starting it...I'm only sorry I discovered it late. The "Use the Search" reply has always been a "pet-peeve" of mine...if a search is warranted, then suggest it in a helpful, non-condescending manner...and, as mentioned earlier, if a thread doesn't interest you, or if the question is such a bother, just skip it and move on...no need to flame, drop the search bomb, or issue the smilie...just my .02
It's a shitty thing when you do perform a search and you get a thread with a 100% relevant title. I'm like, "Yessss!"

Then, I click on it, anxiously awaiting the wealth of information that can be found inside.

Then I open it up to discover the answer to my question that somebody else asked and discover:

Another user being told to search... I'm like, WTF!!!

Yeah, if the search bomb is dropped too much, I think many search results will yield previous search imperatives instead of an answer! I don't want to exaggerate, but the respect thing is so true. I just read a post RIGHT NOW in this section with a newbie being told to search in a VERY sarcastic way. I doubt he'll ever post again. I hope he does.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only thing i hate is the repeated questions that everyone asks, or people so caught up in 1-2 hp difference. i was just reading a thread that was about a lid and someone said it was about 8 rwhp and the other guy was like oh i thought it was 10. i just think there are a lot of newbies caught up in minimal hp gains from mods. eventually all the small mods will add up to some good power but one thing i have learned it not to get caught up on power at the low end bolt on levels, as it jsut varies so much.

i see way too many, whats the best lid, what the best exhaust, whats the best this and that. those get frustrating, and not for the fact that people ask. yeah it would be nice if people would search about it first before making such a vauge post, but the part that bugs me the most is when you can scroll down and see 4 different posts on the SAME exact topic. at least scan the first page of posts to see if its there lol.

as others have said, seaching can lead to other answers. i dont know how many times i have seached for things and found answers to other problems. kinda frustrating now that the search doesnt work all the time but im sure that will be taken care of soon.

i just think there should be an email sent out that explains the basics to all new members, such as the search button. i think the threads should be left to, ok this is what im thinking of now give me your input, not letting others pick your mods out for you. remember, this is your car, you need to personalize and make it your own. if you take the time to find and put pieces together that you came up with, it will mean a lot more than just asking someone else what to do. i spent 8 months of research on cams and heads before i found a set up i felt right with, and im glad i didnt let someone just tell me what way to go, it will also give you more knowlegde about cars, lots of guys on here know their ****, and just reading what they have to say helps a lot
Old 06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
only thing i hate is the repeated questions that everyone asks, or people so caught up in 1-2 hp difference. i was just reading a thread that was about a lid and someone said it was about 8 rwhp and the other guy was like oh i thought it was 10. i just think there are a lot of newbies caught up in minimal hp gains from mods. eventually all the small mods will add up to some good power but one thing i have learned it not to get caught up on power at the low end bolt on levels, as it jsut varies so much.

i see way too many, whats the best lid, what the best exhaust, whats the best this and that. those get frustrating, and not for the fact that people ask. yeah it would be nice if people would search about it first before making such a vauge post, but the part that bugs me the most is when you can scroll down and see 4 different posts on the SAME exact topic. at least scan the first page of posts to see if its there lol.

as others have said, seaching can lead to other answers. i dont know how many times i have seached for things and found answers to other problems. kinda frustrating now that the search doesnt work all the time but im sure that will be taken care of soon.

i just think there should be an email sent out that explains the basics to all new members, such as the search button. i think the threads should be left to, ok this is what im thinking of now give me your input, not letting others pick your mods out for you. remember, this is your car, you need to personalize and make it your own. if you take the time to find and put pieces together that you came up with, it will mean a lot more than just asking someone else what to do. i spent 8 months of research on cams and heads before i found a set up i felt right with, and im glad i didnt let someone just tell me what way to go, it will also give you more knowlegde about cars, lots of guys on here know their ****, and just reading what they have to say helps a lot
I think you make a good point. And just like you, I also get annoyed about some of the "which muffler" threads and the hp questions as well, and it is very true that for these questions in particular, a search will more than likely yeild the results needed. BUT, unfortunately the issue of telling someone to use a search or not wasn't really the reson that I started this thread in the first place. Because I COMPLETELY support suggesting a search to a new member, as long as its done respectfully.

My motivation to start this thread comes from this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...3&page=1&pp=20
I was stunned by a few of the guys attitudes towards this new member. Thats plain bullshit. I make no personal insults cause I have no place to do so, but as a whole I dont think that disrespecting another member like this is acceptable, or right. I was in the same place as ISOSS in that previous thread about a year ago, and thanks to this site I have lost 0 enthusiasm about my car or modding it, I just think every fbody owner should have the same opportunity. thats my .02, and my reason for starting this thread. Im here to condemn no one, if you have disrespected a newb before, so be it, I know out of frustration I have sarcastically told a newb to use the search function before, but I think that if were are made to think about how we welcome and educate newer members, this sort of thing will happen much less.

Nathan

Last edited by natronathon; 06-05-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah no need to point it out like you are saying (as in you referring to what the others did bad) i agree with you on that. now nicely explaing to the guy something like "there are lots of guys on here with similar set ups, go to the dyno section and try to look for some, its not worth worrying about becuase your car is pretty much stock"

maybe something like that would let the guy know the workings of the site, because we were all the same way at one time
Old 06-05-2005, 05:24 PM

I could not agree more.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Thumbs up

I also echo the sentiments of this thread. Being obnoxious and condescending as some (though I would say FEW) are, irritates me to no end, and it gets real hard not to just post back to STFU and realize that whoever is asking a question is a new member.

Also I find that a lot of times when searching, to get what you want, you need to search many times, which is a pain because of the search interval time limit, and the threads which are related, but which inevitably are just full of more people saying "search." (as someone else said above.)

JRP did an awesome job with his n00b infomation threads though, and I would recommend any new people go through those before asking starter questions, because as opposed to search, his info threads are just that, full of useful, factual information that can usually alleviate many "new to the forum" questions in the first place. I think those threads are much more useful than search, or at least they have been to me thus far.

anyway, right on.

Brad
Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
I also echo the sentiments of this thread. Being obnoxious and condescending as some (though I would say FEW) are, irritates me to no end, and it gets real hard not to just post back to STFU and realize that whoever is asking a question is a new member.

Also I find that a lot of times when searching, to get what you want, you need to search many times, which is a pain because of the search interval time limit, and the threads which are related, but which inevitably are just full of more people saying "search." (as someone else said above.)

JRP did an awesome job with his n00b infomation threads though, and I would recommend any new people go through those before asking starter questions, because as opposed to search, his info threads are just that, full of useful, factual information that can usually alleviate many "new to the forum" questions in the first place. I think those threads are much more useful than search, or at least they have been to me thus far.

anyway, right on.

Brad
right on the head. JRP has definetly earned my respect and that of many others by his helpfullness through his newb faq's. Helped me pick out my exhaust choice!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

anyway, right on.

Brad
Those information threads answered questions I didn't even have yet when I read them! Very informative!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Those information threads answered questions I didn't even have yet when I read them! Very informative!
Exactly. And to me, that's more valuable than search. As far as his information goes, plus the information on installuniversity.com, and streetfire, plus a couple other places, it almost gets down to not ever needing to search, because there is always someone else out there who has had the experience you are having, with links that can easily be found without wading through people asking questions and others telling them to search.

And between JRP's stuff, and the installuniversity.com especially, there's pretty much all of it in a nutshell. it's like they've compiled a damn textbook, which for the amount of info it's got in it would sell for like a hundred bucks at barnes and noble under The Complete Idiot's Guide to LSx.

so anyway yeah another shout out for JRP's time and effort.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly. And to me, that's more valuable than search. As far as his information goes, plus the information on installuniversity.com, and streetfire, plus a couple other places, it almost gets down to not ever needing to search, because there is always someone else out there who has had the experience you are having, with links that can easily be found without wading through people asking questions and others telling them to search.

And between JRP's stuff, and the installuniversity.com especially, there's pretty much all of it in a nutshell. it's like they've compiled a damn textbook, which for the amount of info it's got in it would sell for like a hundred bucks at barnes and noble under The Complete Idiot's Guide to LSx.

so anyway yeah another shout out for JRP's time and effort.
Ill drink to that!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by natronathon
Ill drink to that!!!
Shiiiet, I didn't know we were drinkin'! I'll tip a glass as well!

Old 06-06-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, were always drinkin! But not when were driving!

To any kids!!!

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

and

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by natronathon
lol, were always drinkin! But not when were driving!

To any kids!!!

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

and

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!
AND WEAR A CONDOM!

AND IF IT SMELLS, SEND IT BACK!
Things I grew with my dad telling me. I never knew if there was a hidden meaning in the second one.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

This is a good thread!!!!!

Way 2 Go!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like a fun minded thread, but i am very serious about the reason why i started it. I think that if i do no more than remind people to be respectful, than i have succeeded!

Nathan
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

i agree to everything you guys are saying

but theres just one thing i want to get off my chest, im seriously tired of seeing 12,000 threads about dyno numbers or gas mileage on the same day, if you got a question about gas mileage and theres a current thread about that going on, theres no need to start a new one, unless its some obscure question that has nothing to do with any other current thread
Old 06-07-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

true enough. the same threads do always get old, and I have also seen it when people post a thread exactly like one still being discussed. But this is prolly done out of a lack of knowledge about how to properly use a forum like this one, and expecially if the person is prety new, its courteous for us to simply answer their question and then POLITELY tell them to be careful not to duplicate recent threads, and to start out with a search before asking a question. All in all, i think thats a better method of stopping these sorts of occurences than just yelling at a newb....
Old 06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I think it is awesome to have a place to come and talk cars with fellow enthusiasts and not get blasted for something that may seem stupid to someone else. I have many questions that still have me stumped after a number of searches, but I learned pretty quickly that exhaust is a matter of opinion, a lid is a lid is a lid, etc. I have been in some other forums when somebody with a few hundred posts chews out a newb who asks a "stupid" question, forgetting that the question is probably not stupid to the new guy. I almost feel like GM/f-body owners are sort of a family. I am glad to be a part of this forum, and can't wait to learn all that I can. It says a lot for you guys to make such an effort to be so patient with us newcomers. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

I agree 100%. Sure some questions/posts are elementary, but we all start somewhere. Not all of us are lucky enough to know people who know there stuff. This website has always been helpful because people answer those questions.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

The problem isn't "stupid" or "elementary" posts, it's people who don't read any of the stickies or use any common sense, or even attempt to use the search button. There is nothing to tell someone with nothing but a lid/cat-back who wants a big cam but "read stickies and search". I don't think very many people are willing to type out exactly why it is that they don't need a cam just yet every time that question is asked.