Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28 vs. SS (worth extra cash?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 vs. SS (worth extra cash?)

I am looking into buying a Camaro here within the next few months and I really have always loved SS's. I don't want to settle for any less really. However, I'm starting to notice not too much of a difference at all between the SS package and a regular Z28. I plan to mod it quite a bit and am shooting for high 300 to low 400's of horsepower for the first initial mods.

I saw a video of a really nice SS, very loud and powerful. Then I saw a regular Z28 camming, and it was even better.

Any opinions on what is worth to get? Seems I can get a Z28 for much cheaper than a SS and afford more mods...what's the deal on these?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Reason I bought a SS is because of the way it looked and the handeling was a little better. I like the whider wheels and tires and the more agressive look. I know they are about the same speed. Go with the SS!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Launching!

what year are we talking about here? for the money, the SS isn't really worth it. I bought my '02 Z28 coz I planned on modding it anyway, and while the SS is supposed to be a little faster, I've beaten an '02 SS a couple times, with my car being absolutely bone stock, down to the air filter.
No if you've got the extra dough, then go for the SS. With a tad bit better suspension, appearance such as spoiler and hood, etc. If you plan on modding it anyway, get the Z and use the extra money to make it much faster than a stock SS.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Teching In

where you located? my buddy is selling his 02 SS cause he wants a Z06. it has 380 rwhp right now with headers and a cam. its black with silver Z06 rims
Old 06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Id say SS because in my opinion the Z28's look like crap compared to them and the SS has some awesome nostalgia to it and it turns more necks. If I bought a camaro i woul donly get an SS no matter the cost.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

SS over Z28 no comparison in looks.

Not trying to put peoples cars down AT ALL.

IMHO Z28's have **** spoilers and hoods.. TOO PLAIN.

I HATE them lol
Old 06-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Get the plain looking Z! Sleeper......with our shitty spoilers and hoods.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

if u are planning to mod it and u don't care about the hood and the spoiler... take the Z28 ..
Old 06-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Get the z28 why pay more money for the same car? The SS hood is worthless as far for ram air effect.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Boy you are starting a war. You do know that right? I got a Z28 because it was at least 4K cheaper for a similar car. The only thing on the SS that really makes a difference performance wise is the larger wheels and tires, but I just ordered some new wheels and 275's up front and 315's out back, so I have it handled now. The SS has the looks up front, but I am really concerned about everyone seeing my tail lights. It has to be up to you, but they are really the same car.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Man, for the $4K you'd save getting the Z28, you could use that money to beat other cars that are much faster than an SS.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

I think the SS looks sooo much better but if you don't care that much about the hood & spoiler and suspension, save the extra $$$ for mods.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z would be the better buy if you dont care about the SS package. Its the same car. That being said I bought the SS for the looks and slightly better performance package. And I emphasize slighty. Both cars can be modded equally but if you save on your initial purchase you can do power mods immediately. Or if you can afford the SS and mods right away even better. Performance wise its the same car. Only big difference is the SS is holding more value. All you have to do is look at the prices to see that. Really its just personal choice. Some SS's didnt get the full SLP option package and arent worth the extra money. You really need to look at whats on the car to determine which is better for the price. Plus you can always buy a hood if you want the scoop and a different spoiler. Many options here. Both are great vehicles and are the exact same drivetrain. After that is a matter of personal taste... coffe with cream and sugar?, black?, cream 1 sugar? ... you get the picture
Old 06-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Teching In

i think it boils down to the look of the car. the SS does look meaner however; performance wise it shouldn't be much of a difference. if there is a few thousand dollars in difference then get the Z28 and use the savings for the mods you have planned.
i get enough attention in my Z28 so i don't think the "plain jane" look makes much difference.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well...

If you care what people think and say about your car, you'd be better off with the SS. No matter what you do to a Z28, there will always be people in this world that'll say something stupid like "Yeah, well it isn't an SS like yours." I get so many compliments on my car, and most of them are related to the fact that they actually think my car is vastly different from the Z28.

If you want to mod the crap out of it and not spend as much money, you would be better off with the Z. I don't like the Z hood or spoiler, and wouldn't get one because of that. Then again, that's why I'm one of the slowest f-bods around here. I spend more money on bling rather than zing.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well...

If you care what people think and say about your car, you'd be better off with the SS. No matter what you do to a Z28, there will always be people in this world that'll say something stupid like "Yeah, well it isn't an SS like yours." I get so many compliments on my car, and most of them are related to the fact that they actually think my car is vastly different from the Z28.

If you want to mod the crap out of it and not spend as much money, you would be better off with the Z. I don't like the Z hood or spoiler, and wouldn't get one because of that. Then again, that's why I'm one of the slowest f-bods around here. I spend more money on bling rather than zing.
Steve is absofuckingloutley, 100%, right on, spot on, dead nuts, hit in the road, right between the eyes, bullseye, bullsballs, cold, dead, monkeys flinging poo right. I don't think there is any further need in this conversation.

Last edited by BBQLS1; 06-06-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Get the Z. I found the right one with an SS spoiler and mods included for a decent price so I didn't waste a whole bunch of money on a hood and a badge.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Steve is absofuckingloutley, 100%, right on, spot on, dead nuts, hit in the road, right between the eyes, bullseye, bullsballs, cold, dead, monkeys flinging poo right. I don't think there is any further need in this conversation.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks. That's the only reason to buy a SS.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

If you had the money to buy an SS and not be strapped after buying it, then you wouldn't have started this thread because it would be a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: Z28 vs. SS (worth extra cash?)