Sponsored by:

Torn...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torn...

Like an old sweater...

Ok seriously. I'm torn as to what I should do with my car. I'm going to have $5k shortly, and I want to spend it wisely. I can't decide if I want to go my original route. Jaberwaki's advice, and a set of CCW classics. Or go all out performance with the 5K. Ideas? Jaber, I'd appreciate your input as well buddy
Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

think of 5k as 1/2 way there ... put it in the bank until you get twice the amount of money to fully mod the car the way you want it... then go at it... it always is 2x what you think it will cost
Old 07-11-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly. I'd rather not spend 10k on my car. That's why I have 5k budgeted.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Dash before Flash man.. Any money spent on looks before you car is at the HP you want is a waste in my book.

I have a 12 second WRX that looks the same as it did the way it was sold. And until I hit the HP I wanted it was going to stay that way. But thats me.

My vote is 100% performance.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Another vote for the performance improvements. I can't stand cars that are all show and no go. That's what ricers do. Pretty car with nothing to back it up.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with you guys a lot. It's just that I'm pretty happy with how fast the car is currently. I think with a few little things (as outlined by Jaber in my first episode). Would really put me where I wanted to be. Thus leaving an additional $2k for wheels.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me also clarify something. I want the car to stay 100% reliable. I would also like to keep somewhat close to my current gas mileage. What good is a car if you can't drive it daily? I'd love to have a dedicated weekend warrior, but that's not in my cards at the moment.

Hell I have friends with SRT-4's that are monsters. Unfortunately the things break all the time. I like being able to drive my SS home, A/C blasting, radio blaring, watching the flatbed tote them off...
Old 07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my FM/5's right after lid/catback.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, maybe I missed the first post.. what kind of car do you have and what mods do you have already?

My first main question, is the car paid off? If yes, then ignore this statment, if No then I HIGHLY recomend putting 4k towards the payoff and just getting a catback and lid.

It seems from your posts you obviously want wheels, so get the wheels that will make you happy. Honestly, I just spent oh about 1400 dollars on my car, that's ALOT of money I could have put towards the car loan or put away for a downpayment on a home, which would have been the smartest thing to do, but what good is working your butt off to not be happy?

You think the car is fast enough for now, then buy the wheels and put the money in the bank until you WANT to buy something, don't spend cause you have it =/ Just a personal opinion, it's exactly what I'd do with the money ( except spend a lil bit on my wife, a very little bit ).
Old 07-11-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car is a 02 SS A4. SLP 345hp package (lid, and CME exhaust).

I appreciate the input as for saving. Unfortunately I don't agree with that. Having lost someone who was close to me that saved their entire life, only to die suddenly and not enjoy any of his hard work made me realize. I live my life one day at a time. With **** that's going on these days who knows how long it'll last. But that's enough of that...
Old 07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

I agree, as I said, why work and not be happy with the money you have worked to earn?

I say buy the wheels, wait until the "effect" of the new wheels and such wears off, buy something else and have it installed, would make the 5k seem like it was lasting a heck of alot longer if you didn't buy it all at once.

A4 = Torque Converter, maybe a 3200 for DD? I plan to hit a 3600-3800 when I get mine and it's a summer DD for me.

Could you put up a link to the original post so I could catch up and give my advice ( if you want it )?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/342596-want-help-spending-wisely.html

this is the original post.

your goals where an 11 sec time slip.

My recomendations will get you there and as you said leave you the extra 2k.

My life plan is much like yours in i absolutly agree. If you have 1 million in the bank when you died. then ever second you sent working for the money you saved. you waisted... it could have been a second you spent in the arms of a beautiful woman, or playing with your kids, or building/racing your car, or any of 1000000 other things that would make you happy....
on my death bed i for one will NEVER regret a day saying,"you know i really wish i had spent more time at work"

get your rims if they make you happy... having an 11 second car will keep the ricers in your rearveiw and the rims will set your car apart on show days...

if your goals were 10 seconds, or even low 11's my advice would be differant...

goal made, goal met. everything else is gravy
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Start with the small things....Work with some headers, full exhaust, intake, Ported Throttle Body, NOS, Wheels will alwyas be around and can be found just about anywhere on the web....Just have to wait things out and keep an eye on the prices...sometimes you can find what you are looking for for half the price....I did that with my exhaust.
I was looking at the TSP Rumbler X True Dual.....I got mone for 175...beats paying the price of $419.....look around this sight has TONS of stuff you can get for a portion of the shelf price.....Good luck man....Have fun with it, that's what really matters!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM

Procharger P1SC w/twin intercoolers. Should be able to get one installed and tunned for $5K. 500rwhp possible.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

500 hp .... with a stock fuel system.... stock drivetrain.... stock chassis.....

[sarcastic]great idea.....[/sarcastic]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
500 hp .... with a stock fuel system.... stock drivetrain.... stock chassis.....

[sarcastic]great idea.....[/sarcastic]
And that is why I am a fan of this man's posts
Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mattism78
And that is why I am a fan of this man's posts

ssshhhhhh or people will say you like ********
Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
ssshhhhhh or people will say you like ********
LOL Jaberwaki is, like i said before, a wise man. oh spend the money on the rims and get sum bear brake kit, that;ll make the rims pop out nice with taht kit backing them from behind, that willl not only avoid the reliabilty and everything else you want to keep, but will also upgrade the saftey of the car when you do some highway speed blasts!