0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Possible upgrade to an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible upgrade to an LS1

okay guys, i have a question that i think might be best answered over here.

as of right now, i have an 04 mustang with 40k miles, i am looking to trade to a 99 trans am with 65k miles on it. i think overall, if the car is in just as good of condition as mine, i might trade for it. blue book private party value is only $30 difference

okay, i need some truthful opinions here. i talked to a friend who has a 99 T/A with the WS6 package along with the ram air hood. he is wanting to get rid of it, for reasons not involving the car.

this car has 65k miles on it. its a 6-speed. i am supposed to be meeting up with him tommorrow for lunch to talk about selling my stereo. but if i look at this car and its in just as good physical condition as my car, should i see about a trade. sorry i dont have more info on his car, but i do have kbb blue books on both our cars and his is $30 more, thats it.

in the end, is this a worthwile trade?

i think like this:
i will be getting a manual
i will be getting a V8
i will be gettin a car that handles better, and sound better than my car
i will also be trading an 04 with 40k miles for a 99 with 65k miles.

if the car is in just as good physical condition as mine, is it worth it?

please list any advantages/disadvantages. personally, i like both body styles so it really doesnt bother me there.

how good is the LS1 overall?

thanks for your input.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would make that trade in a heartbeat. When you shift through the gears just one time at WoT you'll never go back to a V6 again.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Its a no-brainer, LS1
Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had an 01gt I can tell you the ls-1 is a full second faster in the 1/4 stock.
I do feel that the gt has better quality built into it.
The stereo absolutely rocks in the gt, the monsoon sux.
The gt has no issues with power window motors, the f-body..forget it...
The f-body has a puny 7.5 inch rear, while the gt has a stout 8.8 inch.
The ta has body flex issues that can cause dents in the 1/4 panel to magically appear.
I don't care what anyone says t-tops eventually leak.
F-bodies are prone to warping rotors.
F-bodies have one of the horn tones go bad intermittently.

Now ask me what I drive
Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
When you shift through the gears just one time at WoT you'll never go back to a V6 again.
exactly what he said except substitute mustang in the place of 'v6'

6 cyl mustangs are total turds. torquey yet asthematic motors. and the 5 speed cant be driven hard at all or there toast

even if it was a GT i still would rather have the ls1....

(also: mustangs are the only car i know of that windsheild washer fluid will come into the car if you spray the windshield with the windows down)
Old 07-13-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

v6....LS1....hmm...which one would you take?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, LS1. definetly.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I do feel that the gt has better quality built into it.
my dad had a 99 cobra for a couple days that he was thinking of buying. one word, plastic. it seems that every piece of that car was plastic, and every piece rattled. and yes, more so than any fbody ive ever been in. uncomfortable.

and to the thread starter, am i to understand that this guy is actually interested in trading you for your V6 mustang? it sounds like its just your idea. have you asked him about it yet? seems unlikely he would do that. but if he does, you better jump on it!!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

I sold my 5.0 mustang to get my LS1. Definately worth it!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
and to the thread starter, am i to understand that this guy is actually interested in trading you for your V6 mustang? it sounds like its just your idea. have you asked him about it yet? seems unlikely he would do that. but if he does, you better jump on it!!

i was talking to him on the phone yesterday and he told me that he had recently got it, but was gonna sell it due to problems not concerning the car. i asked him if he would be interested in a trade, and he told me that if the blue book values were the same, then he would. i checked kbb private party values on my car as well as his, and his car is $30 more in private party value than mine, thats it. and i was considering this trade, but then i checked insurance rates later on that night and found that insurance on this car would be astrinomical versus my stang. hell, a gt vert under my name was $280/mo. on this car, the CHEAPEST policy i was quoted was $350/mo. the one i have attached is the "middle grade" plan, if you will. i am supposed to be meeting up with this guy today for lunch to discuss what we are goin to do with the stereo in my car.

i will try to get some pics today if he is in the t/a today.

oh, and here is that quote i got.....can you say RAPE. i am sure this is a better, all around car than mine, even with 25k more miles and 5yrs on mine, but look at this quote:
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

How old are you? I am 21, I have allstate, and I pay 140/month for a 2000 Trans Am.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

I just got rid of my 02 GT vert to get my 00 WS6. Yes, the f-bodies have their issues, but everything else so far outweighs it that it's a no brainer.

It would have taken $ 1,000's of dollars to make the 4.6 perform like the stock WS-6, and still only been a 5 speed.

If the other guy is REALLY up to the trade, don't let him think about it too long.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

I am confused, where did the v6 come in? He says he has a gt.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

GT's have 4.6 liter v8's.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
GT's have 4.6 liter v8's.
He's got a V6, no GT. Look at his comments about how much more it would have cost him if he had a GT.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tars7
How old are you? I am 21, I have allstate, and I pay 140/month for a 2000 Trans Am.

i'm 19. i have state farm as of right now. the cheapest quote i could find was $350/mo which is over twice as much as i pay now. i mean, i can afford the insurance, but if i go with that i will continue to live at home which is about an hour from school and 35min from work. or i could keep my stang and have my own place 5min from work and 35min from school.

so:
live with parents and have ~mid 13sec trans am
have my own place and have a ~mid 15sec stang.

its not all about straight line performance for me though, i was wondering if its an all around better car in every aspect. for instance, my car can handle better than a gt in the curves b/c we have the same suspension setup (minus the f/r swaybars a gt has) and i'm lighter than a gt. but once we get into the straight stretch, it's all over for me.

yeah a car that runs about 2secs faster than me in the 1/4 would be a nice upgrade, but i dont think its worth that much for insurance.

i think i am goin with the apt/stang. dont get me wrong, i love the trans am's, especially with the ram air hood, it just looks badass. and if had the same amount of miles as my car, then i would think alot harder on this, but since it has 25k more miles and the insurance is so damn high, i just think i'm gonna keep what i got.

thanks for all of the advice/input guys
Old 07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol yup yup you wanna trade, 100% of everyone here is with the trade idea. I mean come on, dont you wanna be one of the cool kids? Every one's doing it,...come on take alil
Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

First thing - go with the LS1. Second 350 a month is way to high, I have full coverage and I am 19 and pay 210 a month. I have progressive auto insurance as well. So shop around I am sure that you can find something cheaper than 350.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KyleJ
i'm 19. i have state farm as of right now. the cheapest quote i could find was $350/mo which is over twice as much as i pay now. i mean, i can afford the insurance, but if i go with that i will continue to live at home which is about an hour from school and 35min from work. or i could keep my stang and have my own place 5min from work and 35min from school.
Insure it under one of your parent's names with you as a partial driver or whatever. I'm younger than you (and carry full coverage with State Farm) on my 98 for $70 or so a month, plus whatever other car you'd be insured on (some car in a field somewhere is ideal). Mine comes out to be about $180 a month for both cars. I think you can do this until you're 25, regardless of whether or not you live with them (but it's worth checking on anyway).
Old 07-14-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, no brainer. The only V6 I would like to own is a GN (a couple of I6 and a flat 6 would be cool). I imagine the GT would handle better than your car (not trying to be a dick), your car may be lighter than the GT, but it will have shorter sidewalls and wider tires which make a big difference. Anyway, I would rather have an old 5.0 fox than a new V6 stang, so I would take an LS1 over an V6 mustang easy. You will like it.