New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does the OEM SS do anything at all for performance?
YES
32.14%
NO
67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

SS Hood Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....someone got told....lol
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by camarodave98
You are cracking me up....You are getting so fired up over nothing...I paid 500 bucks for the hood painted! I did not buy the hood for performance, Really none at all, I bought it b/c it was already black, cheap, and looked awesome. The reason I made my original post was to see how to make it function at its best, not to make an argument on how much HP it adds. Now...if you want to start talking about wasting money on our cars...Why did you buy an 02 SS over a 98 z28? I paid 10K for my car....how much was yours? If I did the exact same mods you did, I would save at least $6000 and our cars would run the same, thank you for your time..

David

I bought my car brand new with no intentions of modding it and the engine blew up on me, thanks GM. Just out of warranty too, aint that a bitch. I paid $4000 for my 408, how much you got in mods?

Im going to answer your question that I never remember you asking, you cant make it anymore functional its a waste of time and money.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...so your tellin me if you had a Z28 you would not pay 500 bucks for a already painted OEM SS hood? The look alone is worth $500 IMO. Especially when some people pay $900+ for the ultra Z painted.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

ok...so your tellin me if you had a Z28 you would not pay 500 bucks for a already painted OEM SS hood? The look alone is worth $500 IMO. Especially when some people pay $900+ for the ultra Z painted.

Ok now this is a better discussion. I personally would not buy an SS to put on Z, but thats just me. I would buy a cowl hood of some sorts. Im just one of those people that doesnt like to put anything SS on a Z28 or anything WS6 on a T/A. Like I said though thats just me. If you like the way the SS hood looks then by all means it was a well spent $500. I just didnt want you to think your going to get any performance out of it because you wont. If I was in your situtation I would have spent the $500 on headers if you dont have them, a good exhaust system, gears or a cam. Ive always been one to buy all go and no show though. My car makes over 700 hp and looks as stock as the day it was bought, except the true duals hanging down. Just to say this again if you like the way the SS hood looks then it was a good purchase because its what you want for your car but theres just no performance gain there which isnt really what it seems you were after anyway.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoltan
Thus speaketh the LS1 god!

/thread over
....i dont get it? are you trying to stop this thread?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
That guy makes all kinds of random comments...dont mind him

im not sure but...i think he is implying because someone who breathes, eats and sleeps LS1tech thinks the hood has no function, everyone elses opinion doesnt matter...

Last edited by camarodave98; 08-01-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were putting a hood on a Z/28 I think I would go
for one of the ones that is more of a straight shot to
the air-slot, and perhaps would accommodate the
WS-6 lower airbox / radiator support with its bigger
opening. Plus it would be more unique looking (if you
can find one that you like the looks and construction
of, and want to set the car apart).
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ss and ultra z hood both look really cool. I guess the deciding factor will be which one I can find a better deal on.

As far as functionality, I'm sure there is some benefit to the SS. But it look so good who cares! All of our cars have the air box sitting right on top of a 180*F radiator shroud. I can see my IAT at start up(which does not give an instantaneous reading. IT takes some cool air to cool off the sensor) I't will read 150* after a short stop. But' it does stabilize at about 5 Deg warmer that actual temp outside.

I bed if I had a SS hood it would do the same thing.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Ok now this is a better discussion. I personally would not buy an SS to put on Z, but thats just me. I would buy a cowl hood of some sorts. Im just one of those people that doesnt like to put anything SS on a Z28 or anything WS6 on a T/A. Like I said though thats just me. If you like the way the SS hood looks then by all means it was a well spent $500. I just didnt want you to think your going to get any performance out of it because you wont. If I was in your situtation I would have spent the $500 on headers if you dont have them, a good exhaust system, gears or a cam. Ive always been one to buy all go and no show though. My car makes over 700 hp and looks as stock as the day it was bought, except the true duals hanging down. Just to say this again if you like the way the SS hood looks then it was a good purchase because its what you want for your car but theres just no performance gain there which isnt really what it seems you were after anyway.
I already have all bolt-ons, so performance for $500 is over. I wanted to spice up the car, you say you left yours alone in the looks department....well your car already looks better than a Z stock. Im not trying to make my car look like an SS, but I looked at ultra Z, which is an awesome hood, but like I said, find me one under $900 painted. Cowls are nice, but I didnt think they really flow well with the shape of our cars. So SS hood was cheaper, and looks amazing regardless of performance.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

I already have all bolt-ons, so performance for $500 is over. I wanted to spice up the car, you say you left yours alone in the looks department....well your car already looks better than a Z stock. Im not trying to make my car look like an SS, but I looked at ultra Z, which is an awesome hood, but like I said, find me one under $900 painted. Cowls are nice, but I didnt think they really flow well with the shape of our cars. So SS hood was cheaper, and looks amazing regardless of performance.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this concept or idea at all.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Camarodave's next mod

I heard it adds 20rwhp and gets you better gas mileage too! Hey atleast it's functional!

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject

Oh I wasn't trying to stop the thread (I was making a joke). JRP is, in my opinion, THE most experienced LS1 guy here. His opinion is as good as gold, and whatever he says is almost always correct. That's why I said /thread over, because there's not really any point in arguing with him. Also, he posted a link, verified by scientific data, that the stock SS hood does not function like advertised. That SHOULD be the end of this thread because there is no arguement anymore, unless you like arguing your opinion vs. proven scientific data.

Last edited by Zoltan; 08-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, you come up with that one all by yourself??
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting a tronado and putting it in front of my MAF screen! Those things are
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, thats enought of this thread....