Sponsored by:

New Formula owner, Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Formula owner, Few questions

Hello,

Just bought my first LS1, its a 2001 formula 6 speed, i love it so far! Have a couple of questions hope you guys can shed some light for me.

First I need a new tailight filler panel for the rear, mines faded pink and looks terrible, whos got the best deal on these?

Second, will the engine covers from the LS1 vettes fit our cars? Im talking about the covers that start at the intake manifold and extend out covering the coil packs and valve covers, think most of them actually say corvette on them. And if they do fit anyone know a good source for them?

Third would be mods, car is 100% stock atm, looking to start modding with intake/exhaust, i know everyone has a different opinion but does there seem to be a best bang for the buck system out their for the intake and exhaust? What other mods are a good place to start?

And last i will be taking the car to the track to get some baseline numbers in a couple days, what kinda numbers can this car run stock? im a good driver with plenty of quarter mile experience, so hopefully i can post a reasonable time, thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I'm fairly new and also just got my first ls1, a Formula

For your second question I don't believe they fit. The guy I bought my Formula from actually bought a 98 Corvette before selling me his firebird and tried to see if they'd fit and it doesn't seem like they did.

I haven't taken mine to the track yet but it looks like these run mid 13s stock and on street tires

Enjoy, I know I am so far
Old 08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

our GM parts sponsor, Scoggin Dickey, can get you the tail center piece. I'd recommend getting an LT1 formula one however, as they are all black and do not have the "Firebird" logo on them. Get one from 94-97, they all fit.

Or, you can use nail polish remover and get that faded pink paint off completely, then take a power buffer and some wax and really make it all black yourself.

Corvette covers fit, but need to be cut in certain areas since we have different fuel rails than Corvettes.

Spend some time reading Jerami's FAQ at the top of this forum, that will answer 99% of your new owner questions.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eurospec1

Third would be mods, car is 100% stock atm, looking to start modding with intake/exhaust, i know everyone has a different opinion but does there seem to be a best bang for the buck system out their for the intake and exhaust? What other mods are a good place to start?
Read the exhaust guide sticky in the external engine forum, as well as the exhaust reviews sticky. Then search on anything you think you might like.

Search on "first mods".

I'd go for coated pacesetters and either ORY/hooker cat-back or duals (TSP rumbler X, perhaps).

First mods, depends on your goals. For a 1/4 mile car you'll need a good/expensive clutch and rear end to get any kind of an ET out of it. Might want to go ahead and get some suspension goodies with that, such as lower control arms with relocation brackets, torque arm, new shocks/springs...you get the idea. Check out the suspension and drag racing forums for info there.

Other than that the usual bolt-ons such as lid, ported throttle body, cold air induction, subframe connectors, !CAGS, short throw shifter....cam.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The numbers for my 2001 formula are in my sig. As you can see from my 60' I couldn't hook at all off the line. With a respectable short time I would be very close to 12's. As far as modding, you already have an ls6 intake, so I would say a lid and catback would be a good place to start.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01formula6
The numbers for my 2001 formula are in my sig. As you can see from my 60' I couldn't hook at all off the line. With a respectable short time I would be very close to 12's. As far as modding, you already have an ls6 intake, so I would say a lid and catback would be a good place to start.
With 110mph trap speeds you would definitely be well in the 12s with a good 60'. My old 98 Formula ran a best ET of 12.68 with a trap speed of 110.6 mph. I got a 1.81 60ft on that run (thanks to a 4500 rpm launch on drag radials)
Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have loved to get that 12 second timeslip. I couldn't hook to save my life. I felt like I was trying to launch out of the waterbox. Then again, the track I was at isn't exactly known for hooking well.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i have an extra center piece if you do want to buy one...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
our GM parts sponsor, Scoggin Dickey, can get you the tail center piece. I'd recommend getting an LT1 formula one however, as they are all black and do not have the "Firebird" logo on them. Get one from 94-97, they all fit.

Or, you can use nail polish remover and get that faded pink paint off completely, then take a power buffer and some wax and really make it all black yourself.

Corvette covers fit, but need to be cut in certain areas since we have different fuel rails than Corvettes.

Spend some time reading Jerami's FAQ at the top of this forum, that will answer 99% of your new owner questions.

everything he said except read ALL the stickeys